Should The Sharks Sign MDZ?

LVShark

Nov 23, 2011
As the title reads, Should the Sharks sign Del Zotto?

In my opinion he is the perfect fit for us. As a team looking to get younger we could bring in a top 4 left handed D-man who has some offensive abilities who is also under 25 years old.

I know he hasn't had quite the stelar season people expected of him, but he is still very good in my opinion. I think in the right system where he isn't pressured to be a #1 OFD. He can really grow his game and have the breakout year people often expect of him.

I think the Sharks should sign him 2-3 years 3-4mil per year. Thoughts?

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
do you truly and honestly believe MDZ is gonna get 3-4M a year?

LVShark

Nov 23, 2011
do you truly and honestly believe MDZ is gonna get 3-4M a year?

Seeing as he's a free agent that I feel like a lot of teams are after then yes I do think 3-4M will get him.

His last contract was 2.550 AAV and totaled to 2.9M according to capgeek

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Seeing as he's a free agent that I feel like a lot of teams are after then yes I do think 3-4M will get him.

His last contract was 2.550 AAV and totaled to 2.9M according to capgeek

yeah and he didn't perform well enough to justify that contract and was a healthy scratch more often than not.

He's a reclaimation project at this point. I don't see him making any more than 800k/1M AAV.

LVShark

Nov 23, 2011
Ok then change the deal. 2-3 years 1-2mil per year. Would you be ok with that?

The idea I'm trying to get across is would we want him here? Yes, I may have been off on term. 3-4mil is a lot considering his recent performance.

Gigante

Sep 12, 2011
I'm in for 2yrs at 1.25M/yr. Pretty low risk and has a lot of upside. Would love to see what our coaches can do with him.

It's not even certain that he'll get an NHL deal, so it definitely won't be a 3-4M deal.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
He might be a good reclamation project to put with someone like Braun who can cover for his defensive lapses.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
yeah and he didn't perform well enough to justify that contract and was a healthy scratch more often than not.

He's a reclaimation project at this point. I don't see him making any more than 800k/1M AAV.

A guy who missed 15 games this season is not someone who was a healthy scratch more often than not. A guy with red flags? Yes. Didn't perform well enough to justify his contract? Debateable. He had one year in his two year contract where he certainly earned it. Just not last season.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
from what I understand Torts really messed up his game/confidence.
Trotz was probably not the best next guy to go play for either.
He could turn it around, he would be worth a shot and could possibly really gel with Braun...if he is that bad, waive him and turn it over to rookies.

LVShark

Nov 23, 2011
from what I understand Torts really messed up his game/confidence.
Trotz was probably not the best next guy to go play for either.
He could turn it around, he would be worth a shot and could possibly really gel with Braun...if he is that bad, waive him and turn it over to rookies.

Exactly!

I think he is definitely worth the risk. Plus signing him as a FA means we don't give up any assets to get him, so if we waive him and he gets claimed it's not like we're out that much.

Del Zotto has shown he has the ability to produce as an offensive D-man, and is left handed. To me it sounds like he would be a good fit for us. Low risk/High reward

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
A move half the fanbase supports because he's so terrible that it's a thinly veiled tank and the other half supports as a low risk/high reward move if he comes cheap enough?

Seems like the ideal acquisition to me.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Nope. This guy isn't very good. Below average skater, average size, sucks defensively, he's Chris Campoli 2.0

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Well....I would get the point that he might flourish under Robinson, who has a good track record (in SJ alone) of bringing along youngish defensemen.

But overall, not interested. He's a d-man touted for his offensive prowess...and his production has been very modest. He made questionable decisions defensively, but even offensively he does some boneheaded things. His skating has deteriorated, and his lack of physicality means he frequently loses puck battles.

His propensity to throw pucks into "areas", ala Lidstrom is horrible because so often its the wrong area to throw the puck to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad