Should the Sabres trade to get another top 10 pick

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
The best case scenario right now for the Sabres is that St Louis gets knocked out by the Blackhawks and still decide to sign Miller.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Maybe I'm wrong but I would think it will be much harder/impossible to trade up next year with all the top end talent that's being projected and most teams aren't going to want to miss out on drafting a high end prospect... On the other hand this year you might actually be able to get someone to trade a top ten pick to us at a semi reasonable price since this draft is being looked at as weaker then usual. :dunno:

I agree. If there's a guy they like I would think this would be the year to make a move up into the top 10. The price will be astronomically high to move up next year. There are plenty of options for us to get up there as well. Trade one of our defenseman like Pysyk or Ehrhoff (would definitely prefer the later), use our 2nd round picks (we could have as many as 3 this year or we'll have St. Louis' 1st rounder). We've already got a ton of good prospects in the system let's get some great ones. The contract limit could definitely be an issue going forward as well, you can only keep so many of these guys in the fold.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I agree. If there's a guy they like I would think this would be the year to make a move up into the top 10. The price will be astronomically high to move up next year. There are plenty of options for us to get up there as well. Trade one of our defenseman like Pysyk or Ehrhoff (would definitely prefer the later), use our 2nd round picks (we could have as many as 3 this year or we'll have St. Louis' 1st rounder). We've already got a ton of good prospects in the system let's get some great ones. The contract limit could definitely be an issue going forward as well, you can only keep so many of these guys in the fold.

Beyond the top 5, who do you consider the possible gamebreakers left that would be worth trading into the top 10 to get? Ehlers fits the bill in my opinion. I also like Kapanan and Nylander alot. While Fabbri, Fiala, Ho-Sang, McCann, Bleakley, Barbashev should fall in the 10-20 range or possibly beyond.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Beyond the top 5, who do you consider the possible gamebreakers left that would be worth trading into the top 10 to get? Ehlers fits the bill in my opinion. I also like Kapanan and Nylander alot. While Fabbri, Fiala, Ho-Sang, McCann, Bleakley, Barbashev should fall in the 10-20 range or possibly beyond.

Ehlers is probably the guy I like the most I think he's a surefire top 6 winger. Ritchie could be interesting as well, i'm not his biggest fan, but if he pans out he could be the kind of power forward most teams lust for in their top 6. Outside of those guys I like Virtanen quite a bit, Perlini, and Tuch (although I think he's likely more of a early teens pick).
The other guys you laid out I like as well and it would probably be easier to move up in the late first to grab one of them. I've advocated for Ho-Sang all year, but i'd be very happy with one of Barbashev, Goldobin, Scherbak as well.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Does anybody have a good grip on Barbashev's game? I have only seen a couple videos of him and he looked like slightly more skilled Girgenson. Is he consistently physical?

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013

The number of contracts will become an issue at some point so yes we need to package some people/ contracts for a stud or two. Unload those 2nds to move up or package them with a player for an nhl ready top winger.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The number of contracts will become an issue at some point so yes we need to package some people/ contracts for a stud or two. Unload those 2nds to move up or package them with a player for an nhl ready top winger.

The number of contracts can become an issue. i have said befre that I see the team doing 3 or 4 for 1 player trades.

2015 would be the year of concern---no so much now.

looking at capgeek roster---

2014:

NHL 7 RFAs 5 UFAs
AHL: 5 RFAs 2 UFAs

---they only have a couple of players they needs to sign this offseason+2014 #2 pick

2015:

NHL 6 UFA 2 RFA
AHL: 7 RFA 1 UFA

-- they potentially will need to sign Compher, Bailey, Baptiste, Carrier, Fasching, Ullmark, 2015 1st, NYI 1st. 8 players. With Fasching and Compher(and Ullmark) they may talk with them about turning pro but telling them to wait until mid July before actually getting signed (they have their rights for a few years). I think once they know where their 2015 1st are they will be making more moves to either improve the picks or acquire players by trades of players.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Saw an article today about STL wanting to talk contract with Miller.....If they sign him before they pick that triggers the trade swap.

STL 1st is at #25 right now and will go down one if Boston, Pittsburgh, Colorado, or Anaheim get elminated before the conference finals.

If that pick could get down to around #22-23 Buffalo could do a trade of that pick + #39 and move up to #13-16. If they instead move #31 they can reach higher around #11-#14.

packagining both 2nd could get them into the top 10 but i dont see a top 10 team moving that far down.

If STL trade fails to happen, they could trade Stewart+ MIN 2nd for a mid 1st.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
The number of contracts can become an issue. i have said befre that I see the team doing 3 or 4 for 1 player trades.

2015 would be the year of concern---no so much now.

looking at capgeek roster---

2014:

NHL 7 RFAs 5 UFAs
AHL: 5 RFAs 2 UFAs

---they only have a couple of players they needs to sign this offseason+2014 #2 pick

2015:

NHL 6 UFA 2 RFA
AHL: 7 RFA 1 UFA

-- they potentially will need to sign Compher, Bailey, Baptiste, Carrier, Fasching, Ullmark, 2015 1st, NYI 1st. 8 players. With Fasching and Compher(and Ullmark) they may talk with them about turning pro but telling them to wait until mid July before actually getting signed (they have their rights for a few years). I think once they know where their 2015 1st are they will be making more moves to either improve the picks or acquire players by trades of players.

Carrier is already signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad