Should the Sabres trade to get another top 10 pick

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
This of course is assuming the Islanders keep their 2014 1st which they most likely will. It would be nice to get a center at #2 and then a top winger. I had hoped we could find a way to grab Nick Ritchie. Which would mean trading with Vancouver (6) or Carolina(7) I would guess.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I am sure Murray is open to trade but who is available at what pick and who will we trade? Assuming we do not get St. Louis" first pick this year we have our second and Winnipeg's which may be good assets plus the St. Loujs first pick next year. We have our second and the Islander second next year. We have a defenceman-I would trade Pysyk-and while I do not know what Murray has in store for Stewart his name has been bandied about as likely available. Then one of our goalies. Are either of Dal Colle or Ritchie likely to be better than Stewart? I think that is a gamble. Now if Edmonton wanted Pysyk and Enroth we would have the basis for sorting out a deal for #3 overall.

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
I think we should trade Myers to the Oilers for the #3 overall and draft both Sam's. Hodgson and Ennis move to the wings. Girgs is the 3rd line center and Larsson centers the 4th. Move Error at 50%after the draft for more help on the wing.

Edit: Grigorenko moves someone to the wing if he works out.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I really think anywhere from 11-15 could get you an interesting player as well. It all depends on the cost in the end. But I think adding a Virtanen, Perlini, Kempe, McCann, Kapanen, Nylander, Tuch, Ritchie, so on and so forth would be awesome. You can never have too many options. Especially with a roster that is still being rehauled.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
I would move Myers and Hoff if is made sense. Myers to the Oilers for #3 has been talked about and is quite tempting, thus coming away with Bennett and Reinhart. Dal Colle or Ritchie, power forwards who can score are what I would be after and I it seems this only happens if something crazy goes down and the Islanders give us #5. But I would not hesitate to move Hoff or Myers for top forwards.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
We need to remain patient and not do these type of trades (yet) that are gambles. Trading Myers/Ehrhoff for a top 10 pick in this draft is not prudent. This draft doesn't have the talent to give up a Myers or take a chance on Ehrhoff's recapture penalty. We need to wait until after next year's draft to see what holes we have in our "future" lineup before we make a big trade. We also need to see if top free agents will start looking at us if we get McDavid/Eichel.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
If we do I want Ehlers. We are missing a high end skill fast skating winger in our system. Well unless we get Kane next year in FA. :sarcasm:

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Only for a player named Nylander/Ehlers. I think those guys are the only ones outside of the top-5 who can become elite level offensive threats.

Let's assume that St.louis goes first round exit and sign Miller before the draft. That would give us a pick from early 20's.

I'm not sure is the difference between 20th and 10th worth the assets it would cost. I think you will get pretty equal player with 13th pick and 23th pick.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
I've been tossing the idea of "persuading" the Islanders to give us their pick this year.

Figure, we'd have to sweeten the pot for it, and although I thin this won't go over well, Enroth. They need goaltending, and I do not think he fits the "Murray Mold" but the Isles need tenders. Even it up as neccs, maybe a 3rd coming back.

As for Myers. Yes, I've suggested the #3 Oil trade too but I can see the wait and see with him.

Reinhardt with our pick, and one of Drasaille or Del C (yeah, spelling) with the other should give us two quality top 6 players for years...I remember Vanek was a 4th soooo...

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
I've been tossing the idea of "persuading" the Islanders to give us their pick this year.

Figure, we'd have to sweeten the pot for it, and although I thin this won't go over well, Enroth. They need goaltending, and I do not think he fits the "Murray Mold" but the Isles need tenders. Even it up as neccs, maybe a 3rd coming back.

As for Myers. Yes, I've suggested the #3 Oil trade too but I can see the wait and see with him.

Reinhardt with our pick, and one of Drasaille or Del C (yeah, spelling) with the other should give us two quality top 6 players for years...I remember Vanek was a 4th soooo...

I am not in favor of giving the Islanders anything for this years pick. While the impatient part of me wanted it this year, I am more than fine waiting for next year. It is tough shelling out several thousand dollars as a season ticket holder to watch crappy hockey. I don't expect a playoff team next year but I do expect to get some semblance of entertainment for my hard earned money. Murray can slowly start improving this team and we will still be in the running fir a top pick.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Only for a player named Nylander/Ehlers. I think those guys are the only ones outside of the top-5 who can become elite level offensive threats.

Let's assume that St.louis goes first round exit and sign Miller before the draft. That would give us a pick from early 20's.

I'm not sure is the difference between 20th and 10th worth the assets it would cost. I think you will get pretty equal player with 13th pick and 23th pick.

I totally agree with you. The later part of the teens into the twenties is a complete wash. As far as who goes where. The more and more I look at it, the better off you might be holding off unless something out of the box happens with Ehrhoff, Myers, Stewart etcetera.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
I am not in favor of giving the Islanders anything for this years pick. While the impatient part of me wanted it this year, I am more than fine waiting for next year. It is tough shelling out several thousand dollars as a season ticket holder to watch crappy hockey. I don't expect a playoff team next year but I do expect to get some semblance of entertainment for my hard earned money. Murray can slowly start improving this team and we will still be in the running fir a top pick.

I had season tix for years, only giving them up to move.

1. Is Enroth in Murray's mold? I think the answer is "NO." He likes big goalies, not the smallest one in the NHL.

2. What could he get by trading a still "kind of prospect" goalie in Enroth? At best a second? Realistically, a third? Really, why bother.

3. Is it worth the chance that the Isles don't improve? Coin flip. They DO have the 5th this year...a better pick than we've had since 2004 and Vanek.

4. You stated you wanted the team to improve, I'm not preaching "no patience" or "speed up the rebuild" but trade a non-significant asset to get 2 top 5 picks this year. This year's pick will be a year ahead in development then next years.

Next year could come and the Isles pick could be a playoff pick...15 or higher. Neuvirth and sign a Tim Thomas and let's get two top 5 picks on board this year!

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013

1. Is Enroth in Murray's mold? I think the answer is "NO." He likes big goalies, not the smallest one in the NHL.

2. What could he get by trading a still "kind of prospect" goalie in Enroth? At best a second? Realistically, a third? Really, why bother.

3. Is it worth the chance that the Isles don't improve? Coin flip. They DO have the 5th this year...a better pick than we've had since 2004 and Vanek.

4. You stated you wanted the team to improve, I'm not preaching "no patience" or "speed up the rebuild" but trade a non-significant asset to get 2 top 5 picks this year. This year's pick will be a year ahead in development then next years.

Next year could come and the Isles pick could be a playoff pick...15 or higher. Neuvirth and sign a Tim Thomas and let's get two top 5 picks on board this year!

No problem trading Enroth. He won't get much on his own in a deal though. I am all about getting another 2014 top pick, so long as we do not deal with The Islanders and give them anyone who will help improve them inext season. I would rather deal with Edmonton, Carolina, Vancouver etc. two top 5 picks in back to back years would be amazing!

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
No problem trading Enroth. He won't get much on his own in a deal though. I am all about getting another 2014 top pick, so long as we do not deal with The Islanders and give them anyone who will help improve them inext season. I would rather deal with Edmonton, Carolina, Vancouver etc. two top 5 picks in back to back years would be amazing!

I'd be all for the 2 top picks back to back but what we'd have to give up to get another pick this year would be too much

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

He may not fit Murray's mold but does Murray like NHL starting goalies. I think yes. We have two of them and I don't move either unless it gets us something of use, not a sweetner.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He may not fit Murray's mold but does Murray like NHL starting goalies. I think yes. We have two of them and I don't move either unless it gets us something of use, not a sweetner.

I agree that despite inheriting the diminutive Enroth and actively bringing in Neuvirth, he likely prefers to have both next season to see which if either of the two have a future here. If he gets a good offer for Enroth I'm sure he'll move him.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
This isn't the year to trade anything remarkable to get back into the top 10.

Let Myers work another year with Nolan and whatever coaches he brings in.
Bring back Ehrhoff as the steadying veteran on defense.

Draft one of the Sams next year, then use our 3 1sts next year (along with guys like Myers/Ehrhoff, other picks, etc) to monopolize as much of next year's top 10 as possible.

Getting 2 or 3 top 10 picks year should in theory more or less finish the bulk of the "obtain talent" portion of the rebuild and transfer us into the "develop the talent" part.

Batch

Bruce Springsteen is my Shidoshi
Sponsor
Apr 15, 2010
Colorado
This isn't the year to trade anything remarkable to get back into the top 10.

Draft one of the Sams next year, then use our 3 1sts next year (along with guys like Myers/Ehrhoff, other picks, etc) to monopolize as much of next year's top 10 as possible.

Getting 2 or 3 top 10 picks year should in theory more or less finish the bulk of the "obtain talent" portion of the rebuild and transfer us into the "develop the talent" part.

I agree. If we can get into the top ten with the potential STL 1st and some combination of seconds this year, great. If not, it's not worth extra assets it would cost.

I would even consider trading some 2nds's this year for something like a 2014 3rd/4th + 2015 2nd. At this point, we need high-end assets, and next year's draft has more of them. Getting extra 2nds in 2015, not for more prospects, but for ammo to move up, is something we should try for.

In 2015, I'm fine with going bat s#$t crazy 2012 Islanders style and trading all of our picks for 3 top ten picks.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
No one outside the SAMs makes me want to spend anything on them. I'm wrapping up the sell mode. If we are trading assets at this point it's either for lottery tickets in next years "save the franchise" draft or for players already making their break in to the NHL. Ritchie and the likes are low payoff plays, there's very little difference in the home run potential of that class of player vs what we'd be spending to acquire them.

Myers vs Bennett is interesting
Pysyk vs Ritchie not as much
Myers vs Palat...

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
Maybe I'm wrong but I would think it will be much harder/impossible to trade up next year with all the top end talent that's being projected and most teams aren't going to want to miss out on drafting a high end prospect... On the other hand this year you might actually be able to get someone to trade a top ten pick to us at a semi reasonable price since this draft is being looked at as weaker then usual. :dunno:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I'd like to see the Myers contract through the duration of the deal... We are invested in him as a Sabre IMO, not a trade chip.

I would hold off on any crazy moves to get into the top ten. This isn't the year to force it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad