Speculation: Should the Rangers go after Karlsson & Panarin next July if they become UFAs?

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
Would it be a smart move & would they be able to fit them in? Or should they continue with a 3-4 year rebuild?

Edit: Apologies for the simplicity & lack of detail of this question, it was just a drunk showerthought, though I am genuinely curious of your opinions.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
IMG_0908.JPG

Reactions: JayMan82

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Would be nice for the Rangers to have that one franchise player to build around. I still think they need a 1C, and I’m a big Mika fan. But an elite defense dude, will do.

Reactions: Chytiljuice

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If the Rangers trade either or both of Hayes and Zuccarello for additional youth (picks and or prospects) I'd say that they would be stupid to not break the bank for both guys.

They have added 7 1st round and 3 2nd round picks in the last 13 months.

Looks like 3-5 of those guys are going to push for a spot on the team this year (Chytil, LA, Howden, Hajek)

Adding the Panarin and EK65 would HAVE to be looked at deeply

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
(Removed quote, sorry. I am also drinking...)

You’re asking the main boards about what the Rangers should do? 99% of these boards probably want them to fall flat on their face so I don’t know what you’re looking for here. I think they should trade Lundqvist at 50% retained for Jake Allen and Dimitri Jaskin...

BeautBabeC

Feb 17, 2010

You’re asking the main boards about what the Rangers should do? 99% of these boards probably want them to fall flat on their face so I don’t know what you’re looking for here. I think they should trade Lundqvist at 50% retained for Jake Allen and Dimitri Jaskin...

God forbid talking about hockey this forum is just for shit talking

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
God forbid talking about hockey this forum is just for **** talking
It’s just a weird thread to put on the main forums IMO. A team that still has a rep for throwing big money at free agents and OP wants comments from other fans on if they should try and snag these two? Yes, please sign them...

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City

Hey, we love to be hated :) #NewYorkvsTheWorld

But I do agree. It is a bit weird to put this thread on the Trade Rumors forum

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Erik Karlsson is arguably a top 3 player in the world. If he was UFA every single team should go for him - regardless of whether you have cap. If you don't, you simply make cap room somehow if the player wants to play for your team.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Yes, you should get more good players.

I'd much rather overpay for stars in free agency then trade.

jaywills1020

Mar 14, 2004
You guys didn’t read his question correctly. He asked “should they sign them” OR “continue with the rebuild for 3 or 4 years”
I say continue with the rebuild. I’d love to have them on the team but would rather build from within.
I don’t think those 2 guys will win us a cup but I do believe they would get us into the playoffs. That being said, I don’t want anymore first rounders in the 20s. I’d rather top 10 picks until we can make a good team from within.

Reactions: slg1963

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
You know we could sign a good player and stikl continue rebuilding. A rebuild doesnt turn into a contender overnight

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Rangers are loaded with defenseman prospects so they should not go after any UFA defenseman. As far as Panarin. It could only help some of their young forwards. That is something I would be interested in. They have stayed away from FA this year which was really smart.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Rangers are loaded with defenseman prospects so they should not go after any UFA defenseman. As far as Panarin. It could only help some of their young forwards. That is something I would be interested in. They have stayed away from FA this year which was really smart.

Rangers are loaded with prospects who may or may not make it into the NHL, and may or may not be more than 3rd pairing defensemen, so we should not consider signing a a defensemen, arguably the best in the NHL... It doesn't make sense to break the bank if we can't compete, sure, but not because of our prospect pool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad