Should the Pens trade for Hall?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’d take him as a rental...we have a short window...we’re missing a skilled top 6 imo since Gally hasn’t worked out and we’re icing Simon next to Sid...we’re not anywhere near top contenders like BOS and the Caps atm...

I like the offer but no way NJD does that...they also want a D prospect close to NHL ready...given that we have Marino now, I’d offer Shero a protected first, POJ and choice of Gally or Bjug...we need to balance out the money and send some cap out...maybe we could get them to return a draft pick but I doubt it’ll be a second...I still think that’s worth it to the Pens

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I'd take Hall. Anyone know if he has a cancerous attitude and would be a problem in the locker room?
I don't agree with others that he will cost 9+ mil.

From what little I have seen of him I would absolutely love him out there with Sid

I would target Hall too, assuming teams are treating him like a rental, ie. no handshake deals happening whereby a team knows he’ll sign with them and are willing to bid very high as a result.

I did post that my offer would be an opening bid. Would be willing to drop the NJ second and maybe add a B prospect.

That said I think people are undervaluing Galchenyuk, he is a proven 55 point guy and 30 goal scorer just entering his prime. Plenty of guys have had slow starts with a new team, anyone recall duchene’s first 20 games in Ottawa? I give Galchenyuk some O zone starts and PP time, his numbers are by no means terrible and if he can bump his production up a bit he is going to have good value at the TDL. If he doesn’t click with one of Geno/Sid then it becomes a no brainer that he should be traded for an upgrade.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Hall's price is going to be absurd, especially if the team feels they can resign him.

Yeah if anyone is bidding like that, Pens should say no thanks. But again, he’s a rental this year, price should be at an all-time low unless someone has made an under the table handshake deal.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Would be nice to have him but don't need him. Go for someone like Hoffman while he aint Hall, he's a good sniper. Then we can try for say De Haan at 2LD and maybe Miller for 3RD.

A year ago I’d say yes to Hoffman. Heck, I’d still probably say yes, but he does look like he’s lost a half-step this season. Perhaps there’s another good alternative 1st line LW trade for Galchenyuk if Hall doesn’t pan out?

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Well, here we are guys. Despite all the injuries, the team remains in a playoff position.

Crosby is due back in a few weeks. Malkin at 33 has found a line he can still dominate the league with. Is it time for one more big run?

Taylor Hall is an elite talent that is readily available, and cheap considering his UFA status. Some salary would have to be moved. My opening proposal might be:

Hall + NJ 2nd
For
Galchenyuk + PIT 1st

Devils get a first in the deal and another pending young UFA with scoring line production they can flip at the deadline. Pens get Hall and a higher end 2nd.

Top 6 when Sid comes back:

Hall-Crosby-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust

First off we don't need him and second we would never get him that cheap. If that is all it would cost I would drive Galchenyuk to the airport. No way would we get a 2nd back and it would still cost more. Pens have everything they need to win the Cup. The Pens just need to get healthy.

I wouldn't mind trading Galchenyuk and or Schultz though. They are both UFA's to be and I want Rutherford to trade them for equal or better players with term.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Nope. Way too expensive both in terms of cost to acquire and cost to re-sign. Wait until the summer and give Kreider a big contract. He's a phenomenal option for Geno-Rust and won't cost $9 million+.

Biggest need, imo, is a stud LD for Marino to play with for years to come (eventually becoming the top pairing in 3 years when Letang retires).

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I don’t think AG and a 1st gets it done. I’m sure other teams out there are dangling a first and blue chip prospects. The Pens can’t compete with any other team prospect wise.

But Shero is a dumbass, so you never know.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I’d ofc do OP’s deal, but realistically it would be way more expensive than that. And I don’t want to pay it for a rental. Brassard trade scarred me.

Think best course of action is to get healthy, then swap Bjugs, Schultz and Chucky for better fits (assuming they don’t improve). Maybe try to offload JJ too.

Reactions: 66-30-33

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
I wouldn't want to trade picks and prospects for a rental, but he's a risky long term investment so I think that I'd rather us pass. Years ago a lot of us wanted Parise and look how that turned out for the Wild

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
No. If we were talking about after the season then fine. But I dont want another year ruined by adding a big name player who doesnt fit(Iginla and Brassard) .

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
No. If we were talking about after the season then fine. But I dont want another year ruined by adding a big name player who doesnt fit(Iginla and Brassard) .

Iggy fit fine. Bylsma thought playing a future hall of famer on his off wing was a good idea.

In spite of that he was 11pts in 13 regular season games and 12points in 15 playoff games.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Iggy fit fine. Bylsma thought playing a future hall of famer on his off wing was a good idea.

In spite of that he was 11pts in 13 regular season games and 12points in 15 playoff games.

Yeah goes without saying.

You know what I mean....the big name additions didnt get us the cup. The
Guerin, Kunitz trades did in 09. And Hagelin, Daley, Hainsey, etc did with the b2bs. Kessel was a big name trade but thats offseason. Moves like that don't happen at deadline.

Not that those werent "big names" but we didnt have to give up a ton for them. Most of em were in twilight of career. It wasnt winning the "Iginla and Brassard sweepstakes " that had opposing fans thinking we were gonna win it all. Having to give up Cole, 1st round, Reaves, Top goalie prospect for one player.

We dont have to give up a first nor a top prospect this year to get quality players back.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah goes without saying.

You know what I mean....the big name additions didnt get us the cup. The
Guerin, Kunitz, Dupuis trades did in 09. And Hagelin, Daley, Hainsey, etc did with the b2bs. Kessel was a big name trade but thats offseason. Moves like that don't happen at deadline.

Yeah for sure. Especially at this stage. When Sid and Geno were younger sure occasionally. Now though we don’t need big risks wait for the right deal. Big deals need to be as early as you can and just add depth or cover any injuries at the deadline.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I do think Hall would be lights out here, but the cost to acquire (Shero/Devils/top value asset) in terms of the actual trade as well as the re-signing cost are just way too prohibitive for us.

But Hall with Sid or Geno would be unbelievably fun to watch, even if the rest of the team was fleshed out with Simons and ZARs. Those 20 minutes a night would be great. :laugh:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Yeah for sure. Especially at this stage. When Sid and Geno were younger sure occasionally. Now though we don’t need big risks wait for the right deal. Big deals need to be as early as you can and just add depth or cover any injuries at the deadline.

And with how much better our scouting is at drafting. finding guys like Hallander and Addison in 2nd round...Legare 3rd round. Almeida in the 5th. Etc.

And we kept trading 1sts to go for it. When we did pick they were busts due to injury or just bad picks. Esposito, Bennett, Despres, Pouliot(and that's 8th overall), and Maatta. No wonder they traded their first for 4 years straight. But Kapanen was a solid one and now looks like Poulin will be. We are in a position to keep our first and still add to this year's team. Thats rare.

In offseason(maybe at draft) we could be talking about trading Murray, who knows. Not to rufffle feathers here. But imagine getting a top pick from the Sens(they do have 2) for Murray. Maybe we have to add our 1st too. Sens have their franchise goalie and still would have two more first round selections. We get one of Lafreniere, Byfield, Lucas Raymond. Thats if Sens stay in top 3.

Sens are so good at drafting(seems like forever...Hossa, Heatley, Chara, etc...and recently with Chabot, White, etc) that they dont really need top 5 pick. They would still have 2 first rounders and a goalie like Murray. Who they saw shut them down in the ECF. Its perfect timing too with them needing one...Anderson is about done. Would also allow them to spend in FA since Chabot, Tkachuk, etc are ready now. Having the goalie would solidify it and let them spend.

Or we can not give them a first rounder back and just Murray for their first and Bobby Ryan lol. And they get to clear out his 7.25 mil. If we are trading Murray we don't need that money for him anyway. We get to keep our first. Bobby Ryan could easily be good again here. Hes 32 not 38. And The guy who was taken a pick after Crosby. Either way it's only 2 seasons of that . We possibly add a solid RW for Sid(who just had 6g 9a in playoffs few yrs ago) while getting a top 3 pick and keep our other first rounder as well.

Or just give up our first and not take on Ryan. Point is , this is a great situation to be in. It just needs to be handled right. We can easily have a few more cups if it is done the right way. Rust, Kahun, Hornqvist, McCann , Marino, Tanev... basically allowing this to happen. 3 great trades in McCann, Kahun, Marino. Good sign in Tanev. And the fact Rust took his game to another level after getting his deal while PH still has plenty of value here. All solid role players at the very least with potential to keep getting better for a few of them.

And having Lafrienere, 6'3 C Jaromir Pytlik who is described as the exact type JR wants(you cant pass up that name either) , Poulin, Legare, PO Joseph, Addison, etc to take over eventually.

We said we would need top picks if we wanted to compete as Sid/Geno age.
Not to mention Jarry doing this. To allow the thought of trading Murray being a realistic one.

Things changed quick in one year.

Last edited:

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
The Pens have some parts that don't fit and have some question marks moving ahead.

Whos on Crosby and Guentzels RW?

Who's with Malkin and Rust?

What is the final configuration of the 3rd line?

With Johnny Defense looking like a gem... Where does he fit in a healthy line up?

What happens with Murray and Jarry? Before 1 leaves for Seattle.

My point being that Hall would have to come in and carry a line against lesser defenses... Not sure if all these other holes have to be plugged up first.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I love the pipe dream portion of the season....

A. Shero isn’t trading him here without a significant overpayment
B. There is going to be a bidding war
C. Shero won’t take a deal unless he thinks he won it hands down...
D. We are low on non essential assets...
E. He is a ufa and is almost assuredly going to be insanely overpaid by some idiotic team..
F. The flashiest free agents and trades rarely work out the way you expect.

So basically do you really really want to mortgage the entire future for a half year of a guy that might not even gel in time to help?

I mean he could be a home run... but thats a pretty large gamble to aim for

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
For that price? Absolutely! For a more realistic price ( Something like 1st + Poulin/Addison + Simon), I'd probably pass.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Nope. Way too expensive both in terms of cost to acquire and cost to re-sign. Wait until the summer and give Kreider a big contract. He's a phenomenal option for Geno-Rust and won't cost $9 million+.

Maybe not $9 million per, but I can promise you right now that Kreider's going to be one of those guys whose signing is universally mocked as soon as the ink dries. He has "future albatross contract" written all over him.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
The Pens have some parts that don't fit and have some question marks moving ahead.

Whos on Crosby and Guentzels RW?

Who's with Malkin and Rust?

What is the final configuration of the 3rd line?

With Johnny Defense looking like a gem... Where does he fit in a healthy line up?

What happens with Murray and Jarry? Before 1 leaves for Seattle.

My point being that Hall would have to come in and carry a line against lesser defenses... Not sure if all these other holes have to be plugged up first.
Hall would be insane with which ever of Crosby or Malkin that he built chemistry with. There is 0% doubt about that. But what it would cost to acquire him and little to no hope of resigning him in a year we have a bunch of RFA’s coming up would be almost nil. Our trade deadline pieces we bring in should be depth and complimentary players this go around, not an all star. Not to mention we need to keep adding youth with the draft with our big 3 of Crosby, Malkin, and Letang getting older. We need to not be trading 1sts.

Reactions: Burn

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The return in going to be highly dependent on Hall's willingness to resign with the team. I think his odds of resigning here are slim so he's not worth to us what he is to others. That will be the difference. We can't break the bank the way others can. So no, I do not think we should trade for Hall...no matter how awesome it would be to have him.

Now, if it was the OP's trade, yes. Our 1st and NJ's 2nd could be within 1-2 picks of each other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad