Should the Pens trade for Hall?

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Well, here we are guys. Despite all the injuries, the team remains in a playoff position.

Crosby is due back in a few weeks. Malkin at 33 has found a line he can still dominate the league with. Is it time for one more big run?

Taylor Hall is an elite talent that is readily available, and cheap considering his UFA status. Some salary would have to be moved. My opening proposal might be:

Hall + NJ 2nd
For
Galchenyuk + PIT 1st

Devils get a first in the deal and another pending young UFA with scoring line production they can flip at the deadline. Pens get Hall and a higher end 2nd.

Top 6 when Sid comes back:

Hall-Crosby-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust

Reactions: Wings4Life

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I feel like...no.

But.

I am never correct.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Well, here we are guys. Despite all the injuries, the team remains in a playoff position.

Crosby is due back in a few weeks. Malkin at 33 has found a line he can still dominate the league with. Is it time for one more big run?

Taylor Hall is an elite talent that is readily available, and cheap considering his UFA status. Some salary would have to be moved. My opening proposal might be:

Hall + NJ 2nd
For
Galchenyuk + PIT 1st

Devils get a first in the deal and another pending young UFA with scoring line production they can flip at the deadline. Pens get Hall and a higher end 2nd.

Top 6 when Sid comes back:

Hall-Crosby-Hornqvist
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust

I'd take Hall. Anyone know if he has a cancerous attitude and would be a problem in the locker room?
I don't agree with others that he will cost 9+ mil.

From what little I have seen of him I would absolutely love him out there with Sid

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I’d do that trade if we had a realistic chance of re-signing Hall but I don’t see why the Devils would. Galchenyuk would only have deadline value if he’s producing and so far he isn’t. No playoff team would want to add a guy with defensive issues and scoring issues. I think someone would offer the Devils more.

They’d probably want a 1st, a roster player and a prospect. That’s the going rate for big ticket pending UFAs.

Reactions: Hamurai and Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
No. I wouldn't even want to keep Chucky at the moment if we can move him for a young forward that the Pens can sign and keep for a few years. I am also not well versed on if the Pens can bring back Chucky on a cheaper deal, only if he's UFA right? As an RFA they can't?

But yeah, no to Hall. His contract demands won't fit within the cap, not worth the 1st, so it's probably 15 games he will play for the team because the rest he will be on the LTIR with some mysterious groin injury.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Hall is two years removed from an MVP season. I think you need to add a lot to that offer to get him from a division rival (and a guy you fired).

Shero would probably, at this stage, want Jarry, Schultz, the pens 1st, and some more. I don't really care for Hall, he's not what we need, we need this team to sort out the Defense depth first, more so than another top 6 forward. Pens aren't struggling with scoring goals when healthy, being healthy is what they're struggling with and quality 3rd pairing defensemen on the left side.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You are looking at a base of Poulin + 1st. Maybe more because the bidding will be high I suspect.

All for a guy they have zero chance to re-sign.

I’m sure they could land a more long term solution for that type of package.

Strakanator

Sep 21, 2007
No. Pens do not need more offense.

If the Pens move assets, it should be to offload JJ and add a top 4 defensemen.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Would be nice to have him but don't need him. Go for someone like Hoffman while he aint Hall, he's a good sniper. Then we can try for say De Haan at 2LD and maybe Miller for 3RD.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I think we should wait and see what the team looks like once we're healthy. Chucky for a better fit might be the only trade we need.
source.gif

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd only do it for an unrealistically low trade price, or him on a handshake to sign for an unrealistically low contract.

Or in other words, no.

Reactions: Hamurai

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Hall + NJ 2nd
For
Galchenyuk + PIT 1st

So you really really think that the Devils will trade their franchise Stone/Hossa-level rental for
  • Another pending UFA having a bad season
  • Trading up 10 picks in the draft
Come on. Galchenyuk + Addison + 1st would be our bid and probably wouldn't even get the job done.

Reactions: Hamurai

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
JJ and Bjugstad for Hall at 3M
Hall agrees to a 5 year 7M cap hit
Better yet...

JJ, Bjugstad, and Aston-Reese for Taylor Hall.

We then threaten Hall with seeing our team doctors if he doesn't sign for a cheaper deal.
Taylor Hall then signs for 3.5m/yr for 8yrs.

Success.

Pens doctors will be a little choked, but Nick will be fine.
hqdefault.jpg

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Better yet...

JJ, Bjugstad, and Aston-Reese for Taylor Hall.

We then threaten Hall with seeing our team doctors if he doesn't sign for a cheaper deal.
Taylor Hall then signs for 3.5m/yr for 8yrs.

Success.

Pens doctors will be a little choked, but Nick will be fine.
hqdefault.jpg

That's better. Then we can trade Chucky and Simon for Palms at 50%, then Schultz for Miller at 50%.

Jake-Crosby-Palms
Hall-Geno-Rust
Kahun-McCann-Tanev

Letang-Marino
Dumo-Miller
Petts-Riikola

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Yes. If the price is right and JR feels he has a shot to extend this beyond a rental. The window is closing and our 1st isn't quite as critical as it seemed to be at the beginning of this season before the emergence of promising young'uns. Caveat- there are whispers that Hall is a dick. If he is potentially cancerous then we should pass.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Hall's price is going to be absurd, especially if the team feels they can resign him. Additionally, if there is an arms race at or around the TDL, then the price could go much higher.

At this point we are looking at probably paying 2020 1st(protected => 2021 1st), Poulin, another prospect and a roster player.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
No this team needs to focus on defense and straightening out the power play. We are fifth in the league in goals for right now. While missing Crosby, Malkin, Horny, Rust, Bjugs and Letang for extended periods of time.

I think this team needs a strong two way forward for the top nine. They dont need to give up all that for a guy who wont resign. I would rather pay for a player like zucker signed longer for cheap and go after Colin miller.

I think adding Zucker(or player like him) and Miller > Hall. For probably almost the same price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad