Speculation: Should the Pens become a trapping team?

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
For all the garbage we give Disco I don't think what he does is that far away from coach Q.

I think the big difference is in the details. Puck management, puck support and play around both nets. I'm not sure if its on the players or not but they also force a lot of plays and that absolutely kills them.

Do you guys think Bylsma gets better as he goes along? I would want to say yes but the Flyers beat the Pens in 2012 and at times last year the same way the beat the Pens during the first game at the CEC. Its the same crap over and over again.

Maybe I just answered my own question....

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
For me, they have to become more adaptable.

Be able to play any game given what the opponent throws at you.

The game we lost in the Ottawa series, they tried to trap and looked horrible doing so and eventually got burned. If they actually focused on it some during training camp and continued into the season it can't hurt.

As of now, they cannot play that style very well but it would be nice to have the ability to play that style when and if need be.

If we had a confident trap game, i actually believe we could've used it versus Boston and heres why... We had trouble finding space and time and gaining turnovers in the neutral zone using a trap, would've opened up a different offensive attack resulting in more time and space probably.

For me, a confident trap game is good to have in your back pocket.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Not with the current roster we have no. This team isn't built to be a trapping team in my opinion. I mean...you can still play good defensive hockey without having to resort to the trap...

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Our roster is such that it doesn't make sense to become a trapping team. We have a highly skilled, two-way, forechecking/backchecking group of forwards, and are generally weak defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad