Should the Oilers trade for D and G upgrades?

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
We did offer him more term. The problem is you can only offer so much money considering we didn’t have the capspace to offer more than Calgary did
You'd have to make a trade to free up cap like Vegas did for Pietro.

Worth it in comparison to playing goalie roulette or paying acquisition costs for Gibson.

JBear

Mar 26, 2014
I wouldn't trade for D right now. They seem to be gelling nicely right now and this is without Klefbom. They definitely do need a bonafide starting goalie but I wouldn't trade prospects or futures for one as they need to keep the pipeline steady. Players I'd trade are Klefbom, Bear (as much as I love his play), and Jones. Obviously Neal as well but that isn't going to happen.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The Oilers should certainly make some moves during this regular season while they are in a playoff position, instead of blowing yet another year doing SFA while McDavid and Draisaitl's prime years go to waste. The Oilers have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity of playing in a very easy division, and practically all they would have to accomplish is beat the Leafs in a playoff series (which Lumbus just did) and they could be looking at a WCF berth. This is the year they should make some moves and help out their star forwards.

It really does boggle the mind how long their rebuild was, and they will still need a big trade or two to push them into serious contention.
They have no cap space, so not likely any big moves can be made for this season.

Last edited:

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
ide trade a top prospect or a #1 for a good young goalie i thought had the chance to be a long term #1 . say you trade holloway and a #1 for a young goalie with nhl games whose behind a good goalie that looks to be the long term starter . yes you lose valuable assets but you bring in a valuable asset and get this team way better right away which would make the current players way happier to get more competitive

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
D upgrades in Bouchard Broberg Samurokov are on their way.
Nurse has looked very good this year
Holloway is looking great.
Finally have cap space from Chia era beginning in offseason and especially next offseason
Agreed, no reason to make any moves until the summer, especially given the quarantine rules.

The depth is building from within on D and Holloway is looking like he could add another piece to the top 6 or could slide into the 3C position over the next year or two. This offseason I'm fine with them going hunting for a goalie and a dman for futures with cap space opening up. Right now I do think their 1st round pick next draft and Broberg should be on the table if necessary, and I'm fine with them letting Nuge go if he isn't willing to come back at his current price. Those 3 factors alone should allow them to acquire or sign a good starting goalie, a top 3 D, and a top 6 forward (if Nuge leaves), while adding Samorukov and Holloway into depth roles over the next season or two.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
ide trade a top prospect or a #1 for a good young goalie i thought had the chance to be a long term #1 . say you trade holloway and a #1 for a young goalie with nhl games whose behind a good goalie that looks to be the long term starter . yes you lose valuable assets but you bring in a valuable asset and get this team way better right away which would make the current players way happier to get more competitive
I think you'd be better off dealing a 1st round pick which historically has been enough to get a top end younger goalie, than trading away Holloway. He just fits far too well into what they need either at 3C or top 6 LW. They've needed a strong, fast, physical 2-way player like him for a while. A Broberg trade would make sense in a package if the right top 3D was available given that they have Nurse, Bear, Bouchard and some solid depth guys like Lagesson, Jones, and Samorukov to build around, with Barrie or a Klefbom return potentially filling out another slot or two.

If Klefbom looks likely to return next year in the summer and Barrie continues to be a good fit at a reasonable price (say 5.5?) then maybe you hold off on any type of trade for a D and focus on a goalie + top 9 forward, but the Oilers definitely have the emerging young players and trade chips to build a solid team around McDavid and Draisaitl over the next 2 seasons. It unfortunately will just have to wait for this summer when cap space opens up.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I’m pretty confident this question comes up every single season... and the answers are always the same (it’s yes, by the way).

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
They really just need their cap unf***ed to get themselves a goalie. Chiarellis parting gift of Mikko Koskinens contract basically locked them into him as the goalie. And I mean christ isn't Benoit pouliot still on their cap from his unnecessary buyout.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Watching tonight's game, the answer remains: yes, they should. Though I'll say that perhaps things like backchecking, denying passes across and not having 4-5 guys taking up the same 10x10 section of ice (among a bunch of other things) might help a little, too.

Or, keep trying to win games 6-5 or 7-6 or so. What could go wrong with that strategy?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They really just need their cap unf***ed to get themselves a goalie. Chiarellis parting gift of Mikko Koskinens contract basically locked them into him as the goalie. And I mean christ isn't Benoit pouliot still on their cap from his unnecessary buyout.
Unnecessary? The guy didn't even play in the NHL in the last season of his contract. He was completely done. Paying that guy $4m would've completely handcuffed them.

The cap was never managed properly, but there were contracts including this one that were inherited. Goes to show you that even good long-term FA signings turn into poison pills at some point.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I’m pretty confident this question comes up every single season... and the answers are always the same (it’s yes, by the way).
It does.

But if we were to assume HF boards mirrors managements thoughts then they simply dont want to give up the necessary assets.

I mean I get the Asset X is waaaay more valuable in a vacuum than Goalie Y.

But its not a vaccum and the whole entire premise of negotiations (in the broadest sense that business is a series of neogtiations), is that you identify clearly your needs and your current situation relative to your goals.

If you need A,B,C to be successful and you have a ton of A but none of C, even if your A if way more valuable than C in a vacuum at some point you have to make the decision.

Holding on to A * infinity isnt gonna win you anything.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
It does.

But if we were to assume HF boards mirrors managements thoughts then they simply dont want to give up the necessary assets.

I mean I get the Asset X is waaaay more valuable in a vacuum than Goalie Y.

But its not a vaccum and the whole entire premise of negotiations (in the broadest sense that business is a series of neogtiations), is that you identify clearly your needs and your current situation relative to your goals.

If you need A,B,C to be successful and you have a ton of A but none of C, even if your A if way more valuable than C in a vacuum at some point you have to make the decision.

Holding on to A * infinity isnt gonna win you anything.

You can get a good goalie for just money in the offseason. The problem with the Oilers is Chiarelli locked them into a bad one for 4 years.

Next offseason there are a dozen quality netminders up for free agency.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
You can get a good goalie for just money in the offseason. The problem with the Oilers is Chiarelli locked them into a bad one for 4 years.

Next offseason there are a dozen quality netminders up for free agency.
This is literally the problem I just highlighted.

You cant afford to wait year after year because you want something for "free".

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
This is literally the problem I just highlighted.

You cant afford to wait year after year because you want something for "free".

You also can't make knee jerk bad trades to fill the gaps. Like a 1st and 2nd for Reinhart or 2 seconds for AA.

The only way a GM should give up tangible assets for a goalie is if that goalie is near elite.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
DarkUnrealisticFlicker-small.gif

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Watching tonight's game, the answer remains: yes, they should. Though I'll say that perhaps things like backchecking, denying passes across and not having 4-5 guys taking up the same 10x10 section of ice (among a bunch of other things) might help a little, too.

Or, keep trying to win games 6-5 or 7-6 or so. What could go wrong with that strategy?
It took 9 pages for someone to mention the biggest problem, team defence. well done sir

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad