Should the Oilers trade for D and G upgrades?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I meant more of Edmonton having essentially two A+ pieces, a few B pieces and then a whole bunch of garbage. I mean, putting Yamamoto up could garner someone with extra D to make a deal, Nuge could fetch something. It’s more so just not having the horses in the race versus having horses that just aren’t pulling their weight in this situation.

Outside of that, it’s only firsts that’d get people thinking.

Trading Yamamoto would need to garner a lot better than an "extra D". That's the problem. We value him like you guys value Dube, if not more.

If it got us the right piece or pieces, I'd have a first on the table, no question. But it would need to be a longterm piece, not a stopgap band-aid like Raanta.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Trading Yamamoto would need to garner a lot better than an "extra D". That's the problem. We value him like you guys value Dube, if not more.

If it got us the right piece or pieces, I'd have a first on the table, no question. But it would need to be a longterm piece, not a stopgap band-aid like Raanta.

I didn’t mean a 7D, I meant a team that had the luxury of an extra D to trade.

Yamamoto, like Dubé, isn’t going to get someone to budge on a top pairing guy kind of thing. You’d be looking at young top 4 or borderline top 4.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I didn’t mean a 7D, I meant a team that had the luxury of an extra D to trade.

Yamamoto, like Dubé, isn’t going to get someone to budge on a top pairing guy kind of thing. You’d be looking at young top 4 or borderline top 4.

More of what we already have isn't moving the needle. We have young top 4, and any GM that would move the likes of Yamamoto for a borderline top 4 should start packing his things immediately after the conclusion of the deal.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Yeah you're right bringing up the GM of the team being discussed in the thread who will he making the trade discussed in the thread title is definitely me jumping into random threads because he lives "rent free."

Why would I have anything against Holland? I'm a Lightning fan. It's a hockey discussion board.
Seemed like u wanna talk about Holland's history of sucking instead of the topic with 3 posts about Detroit and Holland, it's all good brother.

Once again - I object to the phrase "build a contender". He came to Detroit to be the GM in 97. He took over a team that set the wins record one season and then won the Cup the next. He didn't "build" a contender - he kept their window open longer.

Weird you write "he came to Detroit", not "he went to Detroit". I dunno, seems you're in Detroit... my bad, go Bolts! :thumbu:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
... we have a winning record, dude, and beat the wheels off of the Jets at 5 on 5 all night long last night. Change your underwear and wake up from your wet dream.
Yes... 9 wins and 8 losses in 17 games with 4 of those wins coming against the Sens, the worst team in the league. Who could argue against that.

You're the one that's dreaming buddy.

Edit: Fixed my post. I originally and mistakenly posted stats from the wrong Oilers - Jets game.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yes... 9 wins and 8 losses in 17 games with 4 of those wins coming against the Sens, the worst team in the league. Who could argue against that.

As for beating the wheels off the Jets all night long?? Come on. The 2nd period yes but the Oilers were awful in the 1st & 3rd at 5v5.

1st & 3rd period Oiler 5v5 stats:

CF% 32.5% & 35%
SF% 36% & 37.5%
SCF% 27.27% & 41.18%
HDCF% 25% & 37.5%
XGF% 25.69% & 42.71%

You're the one that's dreaming buddy. Acceptance is the first stage of grief. Learn to accept the fact that in 2021 will be another year that the Oilers don't make it into the playoffs and look forward to the 2021 Draft as being the highlight of the year. You will probably end up with another fairly high first round pick.

The same Sens that have beaten the Leafs twice? Better hope that the Flames don't blow a game or two against them, that would look ugly.

Edmonton was by far the better team last night, give your head a shake. You can barely hide your glee anytime the Oilers lose a game. Kind of pathetic to be honest with you.

You posted the Jets 1st period stats as the Oilers 1st period stats and the Jets 2nd period stats as the Oilers 3rd period stats... Come on man :laugh:. I can't even give you the benefit of the doubt for making a mistake as it's too deliberate to be that.

Edmonton in the 1st:

64.29 CF%
68.75 SF%
72.73% SCF%
75% HDCF%
73.83 SCF%

in the 2nd:

69.77%
67.86%
72.41%
71.43%
67.96%

in the 3rd

42.86%
46.15%
43.75%
50%
51.41%

Overall

60.61%
63.16%
64.29%
64.71%
65.55%

Also talk a lot of shit for a fan of a team that's been the also-rans of Alberta for their entire existence. Calgary's Shelbyville syndrome is decades long. :laugh:

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The same Sens that have beaten the Leafs twice? Better hope that the Flames don't blow a game or two against them, that would look ugly.

Edmonton was by far the better team last night, give your head a shake. You can barely hide your erection anytime the Oilers lose a game. Kind of pathetic to be honest with you.

Also talk a lot of shit for a fan of a team that's been the also-rans of Alberta for their entire existence. Calgary's Shelbyville syndrome is decades long. :laugh:
:thumbu:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You should look again where I call you out on your wholesale fabricated horse-shit stats :)
Oops... my bad. For some reason when I pulled up last nights stats the Jan 24 game came up. There was no deliberate deceipt on my part... I just failed to check the date.
My point still stands that the 9 Oilers wins were to a significant extent a result of beating the Senators 4 times when they were playing their worst.. (they are starting to play better now... we'll see if it lasts) but certainly no reason to be proud of a "winning record". Looking forward to watching tomorrow night's game as well as Friday's and Saturday's games. I guess we shall see if the Oilers are as good as you think they are. I don't think they are. I fully expect by the end of the season the teams that make it into the playoffs will be Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, and Winnipeg with Edmonton, Vancouver, and Ottawa players hitting the links and crying in their beers on the 19th hole.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Oops... my bad. For some reason when I pulled up last nights stats the Jan 24 game came up. There was no deliberate deceipt on my part... I just failed to check the date.
My point still stands that the 9 Oilers wins were to a significant extent a result of beating the Senators 4 times when they were playing their worst.. (they are starting to play better now... we'll see if it lasts) but certainly no reason to be proud of a "winning record". Looking forward to watching tomorrow night's game as well as Friday's and Saturday's games. I guess we shall see if the Oilers are as good as you think they are. I don't think they are. I fully expect by the end of the season the teams that make it into the playoffs will be Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, and Winnipeg with Edmonton, Vancouver, and Ottawa players hitting the links and crying in their beers on the 19th hole.

The Oilers could and should be on an 8 game winning streak right now.

They also have the MOST ES goals for in the North and th entire NHL with Vancouver. 4th most ES goals allowed though. That is a mix of terrible goaltending/timely saves and D coverage.

You talk about the Oiler wins, how about the losses? They have been in pretty much every game besides 1 MTL game and the first game against the Canucks after they gave that away.

No doubt in my mind the Oilers are in the playoffs 100% with average goaltending, even with their warts.

Edmonton is also top 5 in High Danger chances for and middle of the pack in high danger chances against. They don't need a Vezina goalie, but they need some consistency. Every team has defensive lapses, it's not just that.

The Oilers run away with that CGY game and WPG game last night with a decent goalie.

CGY and Winnipeg show how an elite goalie can prop up a team. Best way to judge is to just imagine the game you played with your goalies swapped. Calgary can't even move the need with a top goalie. Goalie is part of a team though. WPG would be clobbered without Helly on a lot of nights.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The Oilers could and should be on an 8 game winning streak right now.

They also have the MOST ES goals for in the North and th entire NHL with Vancouver. 4th most ES goals allowed though. That is a mix of terrible goaltending/timely saves and D coverage.

You talk about the Oiler wins, how about the losses? They have been in pretty much every game besides 1 MTL game and the first game against the Canucks after they gave that away.

No doubt in my mind the Oilers are in the playoffs 100% with average goaltending, even with their warts.

Edmonton is also top 5 in High Danger chances for and middle of the pack in high danger chances against. They don't need a Vezina goalie, but they need some consistency. Every team has defensive lapses, it's not just that.

The Oilers run away with that CGY game and WPG game last night with a decent goalie.

CGY and Winnipeg show how an elite goalie can prop up a team. Best way to judge is to just imagine the game you played with your goalies swapped. Calgary can't even move the need with a top goalie. Goalie is part of a team though. WPG would be clobbered without Helly on a lot of nights.

If this... if that... should be, could be.. I wish I wish upon a star. The fact is that the Oilers have who they have. Deal with it. The facts don't change because you wish they weren't so.

You should play Smith more often. He has above average stats with zero losses and a .935 Sv% and a 2.10 GAA. Sure... he had a bad 22 minutes last night but sometimes shit happens. He'll bounce back.
As for Koskinen, he'll bounce back too. His record last year after all, was equivalent to Markstrom's, I saw many posts by Oiler fans, before the season started, that the Flames overpaid for Markstrom and Koskinen was just as good as long as you don't overplay him. Use that above average backup more. Stop overplaying Kosko.

Last edited:

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton

Lol... Our record against the oilers is growing akin to that of the Globetrotters vs the Generals.

All time (flames record against oilers):
GP W L OTL Tie
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last 10 years are way way worse. We own you clowns.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I wouldn't trade for a goalie unless it's a Markstrom or a Gibson but would absolutly trade for d-men.

But what would they trade?

Who has value besides McJesus, Draisatl, RNH and Yamamoto?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I wouldn't trade for a goalie unless it's a Markstrom or a Gibson but would absolutly trade for d-men.

I'll accept that challenge!

The Oilers have lots of good forwards. They have.... lets see...

Chiasson, Alex

Turris, Kyle

Archibald, Josh

Khaira, Jujhar

Puljujärvi, Jesse

Ennis, Tyler

Kahun, Dominik

Shore, Devin

Neal, James

Nygård, Joakim

Wells, Dylan

Russell, Patrick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Okay... you win... :(

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'll accept that challenge!

The Oilers have lots of good forwards. They have.... lets see...

Chiasson, Alex
Turris, Kyle
Archibald, Josh
Khaira, Jujhar
Puljujärvi, Jesse
Ennis, Tyler
Kahun, Dominik
Shore, Devin
Neal, James
Nygård, Joakim
Wells, Dylan
Russell, Patrick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Okay... you win... :(

you realize that 90% of those forwards have been better and more productive than Sam Bennett has this season, who according to Flames fans has tons of value...

Reactions: iCanada

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
you realize that 90% of those forwards have been better and more productive than Sam Bennett has this season, who according to Flames fans has tons of value...
Ah yes... the Sam Bennett standard of excellence. Well played.
So, according to you 90% of the forwards I listed, at one time or another have played better and been more productive than one Flames player, Sam Bennett this season. How could the Oilers possibly fail then?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ah yes... the Sam Bennett standard of excellence. Well played.
So, according to you 90% of the forwards I listed, at one time or another have played better and been more productive than one Flames player, Sam Bennett this season. How could the Oilers possibly fail then?

No, don't shift the goalposts.

You listed a bunch of Oiler players you think have little to no value. I bring up that they've outperformed Bennett, who your fanbase does think has value.

So either Bennett also has no value, or you're undervaluing the Oilers players. Which one would you like to go with?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Do you really think 11 of those 12 players have <= the value of Bennett? Or are better/have been better?

This season? Absolutely. The only forwards that haven't are guys like Nygard and Patrick Russell. Even Shore has been comparable.

It was also a hamfisted attempt by Rubi to undervalue the Oilers tradeable assets because he doesn't like the Oilers.

King K Rool

Big Bad
Mar 5, 2020
Edmonton
Lol... Our record against the oilers is growing akin to that of the Globetrotters vs the Generals.

All time (flames record against oilers):
GP W L OTL Tie
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Last 10 years are way way worse. We own you clowns.

The flames are under .500 vs the Oilers in the McDavid era (11 wins, 12 losses). Oooh such OWNAGE:laugh:

No Oilers fan gives two shits that the flames won a bunch of games against EDM when we were finishing 29th-30th for a decade. So did every other team. Now post the all-time playoff record between the two.

Isn't it adorable when flames fans puff themselves up like they're a relevant franchise in hockey? The only people who care about the flames live in Calgary.

I could go on. I could recount how the biggest celebration in Calgary's history was Electric Avenue after beating the Oilers in '86. It wasn't winning the Cup in '89 or even your little playoff run in '04 (by the way how'd that "every 15 years" theory work out in 2019?), the biggest happy the flames ever gave Calgary was beating the Oilers. They had THOUSANDS of fans meet the team at the airport after game 5. That's how much we mean to y'all:)

I could go on and on about how unimportant and irrelevant the flames are but I think you get the gist.

Reactions: Del Preston

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
No, don't shift the goalposts.

You listed a bunch of Oiler players you think have little to no value. I bring up that they've outperformed Bennett, who your fanbase does think has value.

So either Bennett also has no value, or you're undervaluing the Oilers players. Which one would you like to go with?
I was being sarcastic. Bennett has significant value. If the Flames seriously looked to trade him there would be a lot of interest league wide, including the Oilers. On the other hand, a few of those Oiler players listed have passed through waivers unclaimed with no interest shown at all by the rest of the league and the rest of the players I listed wouldn't be enough to get Bennett in a 1 for 1 trade... with the possible exception of Puljujarvi if the Flames were willing to chance it hoping the Oiler stink would eventually wear off as it did with Talbot.
Sorry but your forward roster, with the exception of McJesus, Draisaitl, Yamomoto, and RNH is bad and virtually untradeable.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

all of Puljujarvi, 2021 1st, Kahun, Bear, Bouchard, Broberg, Samourkov, Nurse and maybe even Archibald have positive value.
Barrie is a pump n dump option as well for the right Dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad