Should the Oilers trade for D and G upgrades?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
100%.

They need to start sacrificing the future to win. It's a tough decision to make, but I guarantee it's not nearly as painful as McDavid requesting a trade.

In general I think GMs tend to overvalue futures? Odds are you might have a useful player in a few years- depending on the round the odds vary, but they’re never great, so if you can fix something with em now.. in a normal year id say do it.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I think they should keep drafting offensively talented centers, to the point they have at least 18 of them. They can roll out 5 every shift, 4 of them will have to play out of place, and they throw out the idea of playing defense and try to win games 17-15.

They're getting there as it is, they might as well go all-in on it.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
The Oilers mainly need a goalie, the one's they have now suck and the ones in the pipeline don't seem close.

Koskinen is inconsistent, Smith is washed up

The D is okay when healthy, the Oilers have the pieces internally to be okay in that regard. Klefbom coming back would be massive and with Barrie re-signing

Klefbom - Barrie
Nurse - Bear
Lagesson/Jones - Bouchard
Samorukov/Broberg

Reactions: Pip and Panda Bear

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Their offence is red hot, but the D and goaltending they are getting are atrocious. Despite this, they are somehow still in a playoff position one month into this shortened season. Should they give up some futures to help McDavid and Draisaitl go for it now?

They have 3 more games played than Winnipeg with one more point. I wouldn't exactly call that a play off spot

And yes they should be moving guys like RNH for a legit top pair defenseman

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Blaming the defense is just lazy. They’re not the problem. We need to upgrade Koskinen, but we knew that, hence Holland going after Markstrom this summer. And it’s weird to call an offense “red hot” when the 3rd line has combined for 9 points
As a comparison, the Flyers 3rd line of:

JVR Laughton Farabee.....has 39 combined points

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Anything they have that's worth trading they won't want to do it due to their lack of talented depth. Best thing they can do is try to ride it out until all those useless cap hits drop off their roster when their contracts expire.
Things will look better, cap space wise by the summer of 2022... although I wouldn't put it past Oiler mgmt go add some other overpaid useless players to the roster by then..

Yup. I honestly think that’s what Holland is doing. Giving out a bunch of 1 year deals to see if anything sticks and then moving onto both needs when the space opens up. It’s Edm though and past gm’s keep mucking things up. Lol. Guess we see if he is finally the answer.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
No upgrades until this offseason when Holland finally has some cap space to work with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad