Should the Oilers trade for D and G upgrades?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
They don't have the cap space or the assets to make significant additions. Cap dumps are expensive, so they can't just package Holloway and their 1st this year to get a real nice player, because they have to pay to get that cap space as well. They can't trade away a guy like Broberg either, since a cost effective young defender is literally #1 on their wants list. There's no room to make a hockey trade either, since a team already struggling with forward depth can't afford to trade a piece like RNH or Yamamoto. I'm sure they'd love to make some win now trades, but they're completely tied up to the point where all they can manage is tinkering around the edges.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

ijuka

May 14, 2016
No.

They should not trade McDavid or Draisaitl. Some love the idea, but you don't trade the only part of your team that DOES work.

Anything except McDavid or Draisaitl has next to no value, so they can't flip much either. Futures should only be traded if it would enable a legitimate cup run IMO. And with no audience, even making the playoffs isn't a huge priority in my opinion.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Their offence is red hot, but the D and goaltending they are getting are atrocious. Despite this, they are somehow still in a playoff position one month into this shortened season. Should they give up some futures to help McDavid and Draisaitl go for it now?

No, the 80's showed just load up the wings and center, and score a lot...I like the path the Oilers are on right now.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
No! Absolutely not. They should keep playing Koskinen and Smith, over and over, expecting a different result.

They are right where I want them to be. If they improve, they'll get too good and who wants that?!

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
D upgrades in Bouchard Broberg Samurokov are on their way.
Nurse has looked very good this year
Holloway is looking great.
Finally have cap space from Chia era beginning in offseason and especially next offseason

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Making long-term decisions mid-season is how you end up paying exorbitant prices for what generally end up looking like short term fixes at a later date. Just look at the Penguins for a recent example.

The changes to the roster you'll probably see this season will likely address their short term depth needs. Primarily a second pairing LHD option to pair with either Ethan Bear or Evan Bouchard.

It may be possible to address the starter for the short term if a Raanta, a Dubnyk or maybe Dreidger becomes an option. But teams don't generally pay through the teeth for them.

The Oilers today have a major issue preventing their non-scoring lines from giving back what their scoring lines produce. That's a depth issue.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
They had assets that could have solved these problems and Chiarelli wasted all of them. All they can do now is learn to draft outside of the first round.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Im sure Holland wants to do that. But not yet. They did what they wanted in the off-season and now it's up to the players to put themselves in a good spot to earn some more help closer to the TDL, whenever it is this year.

That's usually how it works.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Oilers should have traded for D and G help a decade ago
or made a good draft pick in the last 15 years, outside of the first round. They seem to have been better the last few years with players like Bear graduating and others. Drafting is their Achilles heel.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Blaming the defense is just lazy. They’re not the problem. We need to upgrade Koskinen, but we knew that, hence Holland going after Markstrom this summer. And it’s weird to call an offense “red hot” when the 3rd line has combined for 9 points

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
or made a good draft pick in the last 15 years, outside of the first round. They seem to have been better the last few years with players like Bear graduating and others. Drafting is their Achilles heel.
Bear, Jones and Marino from 2015 draft are all playing in the NHL
Erik Gustafsson has been a productive player in the NHL
hell, Jeff Petry was a 2nd rounder in 2006

their drafting has been spotty in the past yes (except Petry), but it's much better lately IMO

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Going back to 2011, all of their 1st round picks (minus the last 2 years and Yakupov) are currently contributing to the team. RNH, Klefbom, Nurse, Draisaitl, Mcdavid, JP, Yamamoto and Bouchard. Broberg and Holloway will become integral parts of the team in the future. That being said I would definitely move this years 1st for the right goalie.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
To be honest, at this point it’s hard to care. The notion that a team with so many recent top ten picks, let alone #1 OA’s, has even remote depth issues is mind blowing.

We need help. What can we do to help Johnny write legibly?

Why can’t Johnny write clearly?

For some reason he pounds his fingers with a hammer and now they are all swollen.

Johnny probably doesn’t have much to say that’s worth reading.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
100%.

They need to start sacrificing the future to win. It's a tough decision to make, but I guarantee it's not nearly as painful as McDavid requesting a trade.
I'm probably on my own but I very strongly disagree.

If I had to choose between actually creating a system that is able to consistently identify, draft and develop NHL talent outside the first round at the expense of Connor McDavid requesting a trade this summer or next, I say farewell to McDavid.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
To be honest, at this point it’s hard to care. The notion that a team with so many recent top ten picks, let alone #1 OA’s, has even remote depth issues is mind blowing.

We need help. What can we do to help Johnny write legibly?

Why can’t Johnny write clearly?

For some reason he pounds his fingers with a hammer and now they are all swollen.

Johnny probably doesn’t have much to say that’s worth reading.
Hf speaking in parables now. Into it

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
If Columbus continues to struggle to score, I wouldn't be surprised to see them make Elvis available

I could be wrong, but I think Columbus is comfortable with Korpi/Kivlenieks as their top 2

They would be able to include a 3rd line D man, but if the Oilers want a top 4 D man, don't believe CBJ is your partner

The expansion draft could make CBJ hold off until it is over however

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad