Should the NHL look into having ads on jerseys as a source of revenue during covid?

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Hello Corporate Marketing VPs out there...

If your company puts its name or logo on a player - jersey, helmet, whatever, I will forever HATE your product and go out of my way to avoid it. I probably won't be alone.

There are many other marketing vehicles out there, including ones with the NHL, that will allow you to avoid the strong negative reaction from a large contingent of fans by getting anything anywhere on the players.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I was reading (LeBrun, Friedman?) and his speculation is that the NHL wants to hit a home run (revenuewise) with jersey ads, so are starting with the helmet ads to judge interest, etc.

So, I'd expect "slow" news on JERSEY ads.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
NHL is most difficult sport for fans to follow play (fast moving play, puck is small and even fast moving). Then they compound this problem by adding distracting advertisements to all play field surfaces (more than any other major league). Probably they wonder why it's so difficult to get ratings up. Still looking to find spaces to cram even more ads and get some quick $ at cost of further pollution of aesthetic of the presentation and also dilution of clubs' own branding. Do you see McDonalds putting a Coke logo onto golden arches in exchange for $ ??? These guys are such short-sighted money grubbers,

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Hello Corporate Marketing VPs out there...

If your company puts its name or logo on a player - jersey, helmet, whatever, I will forever HATE your product and go out of my way to avoid it. I probably won't be alone.

There are many other marketing vehicles out there, including ones with the NHL, that will allow you to avoid the strong negative reaction from a large contingent of fans by getting anything anywhere on the players.

I'm trying to think NHL sponsors that I actually chose to use (aka not having a cell provider because they were the only option for more than a decade and not giving PPG credit for the windshield in my non-Honda) and the closest I could come is that I have a bag of flavored Dunkin' coffee & some ketchup in my pantry. I drive a different car, rent from a different company, drink actual beer, eat local pizza, don't drink pop/soda, don't operate within the Apple ecosystem, not even any EA games for a third straight year because f*** Ultimate Team, etc., etc.

The more a company advertises to me, the more I assume they're covering for something. Maybe if Anheuser Busch spent less on advertising and more on the product they'd make something that actually tastes better than the flume water at Busch Gardens...

Bah. I know endless advertising is part of life here, but I f***ing hate it and I'm not going to lie down and just accept it. I'm not against the entire concept of advertising, but there's a difference between being made aware of a movie that's coming out and seeing the same logo for the 400th time of the day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad