Should the NHL look into having ads on jerseys as a source of revenue during covid?

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I could potentially see it happening. Especially after the NBA already opened that door, as far as North American major leagues go.

I just hope they never go full-German/Swiss. That just looks so terrible and bush-leauge.

Reactions: FMichael

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I abhor the thought of ads on the jerseys. But financially I would understand the league doing it in non gate revenue time.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The options in terms of locations for these ads would be shoulder patches. Gone from chicago the tomahawks, Canucks would lose their stick/rink original logo, sharks would lose the shark fin, etc.

during Stanley cup playoffs they do out the logo on the right side of the front of the jersey opposite of the C/A letters. These are the main 2 areas.

unless you’re going more into what Euro leaves have done.

nBA has done it fairly tastefully.

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
The options in terms of locations for these ads would be shoulder patches. Gone from chicago the tomahawks, Canucks would lose their stick/rink original logo, sharks would lose the shark fin, etc.

during Stanley cup playoffs they do out the logo on the right side of the front of the jersey opposite of the C/A letters. These are the main 2 areas.

unless you’re going more into what Euro leaves have done.

nBA has done it fairly tastefully.

Imagine they would go right pec above logo (left pec for Detroit or they finally switch back where they put their "C" and "A" patches). Probably less important to have a Stanley cup patch when the rinks have giant logos painted in the ice. That's prime advertising space.

Now, am I for ads on jerseys? NOPE.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
As others have said, it would make sense but unfortunately would open the door to them never leaving.

I'm sure we'll see ads absolutely intruding on the broadcast like we've never seen before though this season. Just look at how MLB teams bombarded the stadium with ads between ads on the tarps over the seats (which I didn't mind tbh), ads on the grass, ads on the pitching mound, etc.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Imagine they would go right pec above logo (left pec for Detroit or they finally switch back where they put their "C" and "A" patches). Probably less important to have a Stanley cup patch when the rinks have giant logos painted in the ice. That's prime advertising space.

Now, am I for ads on jerseys? NOPE.
As long as they are not like the cfl where the color of the ads does not fit into the jersey. To have TD on the Calgary or bc jerseys in green doesn’t look right.

so would Rogers be ok having their logos in blue or white for Edmonton or Vancouver as opposed their their standard red or white? Same with scotiabank if they wanted to sponsor the leafs. Have to be blue or white.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Every logo on a jersey right now is for a corporation lol. They are all businesses advertising their brand.

I've always found it fascinating that people are okay with logos for Adidas, the team, and the NHL. Sometimes there will even be something else, like a Winter Classic patch that people pay extra for.

But god forbid a Rogers logo on the sacred Vancouver Canucks orca gradient jersey! How can I wear that in public to Rogers Arena, and drink my $14 Molson Canadian in a Rogers branded plastic cup, without feeling like a total sellout???

This would be a smart move on the league's part.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
I've always found it fascinating that people are okay with logos for Adidas, the team, and the NHL. Sometimes there will even be something else, like a Winter Classic patch that people pay extra for.

Adidas/CCM/etc. logos on the jerseys are fine as they made the jersey while the team and the league are who the jersey was made for. Huge difference between branding a product with the user and manufacturer's logos and adding completely unrelated logos for fast food, energy drinks, or frozen pizza. The former creates a relevant aesthetic while the latter is just selling space for corporate marketing.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
NHL already has ads on the playing surface and on the boards. Having another ad on the jersey is reasonable at this point.

NBA has a small ad that doesn't disrupt the uniform. I hope the NHL does the same.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Adidas/CCM/etc. logos on the jerseys are fine as they made the jersey while the team and the league are who the jersey was made for. Huge difference between branding a product with the user and manufacturer's logos and adding completely unrelated logos for fast food, energy drinks, or frozen pizza. The former creates a relevant aesthetic while the latter is just selling space for corporate marketing.

I think the whole aesthetic argument only applied as long as teams were playing in rinks like The Forum and Maple Leaf Gardens. As soon as that became the Bell/Molson Centre and the ACC/Scotiabank Arena... it's all corporate now, IMO.

For the individual consumer, the team/NHL/Adidas are all still brands. If the price of the jersey is slightly cheaper or the salary cap is slightly higher because there's now a local/team relevant brand or something sponsoring jerseys along with Adidas... meh.

There's also a chance here for the NHL to actually run some cool partnerships beyond just the typical major bank/beverage/telecom brand thing, which might actually help sell jerseys...

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
US minor leagues have been doing this for a while. Usually a patch or embroidered directly on the jersey on the right chest, opposite the "C" or "A". Some teams also put one on the bottom hem of the back, or at the back collar above the name plate. They generally aren't obtrusive. Being minor leagues they sometimes can be humorous, since it is usually a local company. Often they are only on the game worn jerseys and not on the replicas sold in the team store, so as a fan, if you aren't buying game worn jerseys you might not have to worry about it.

Doesn't seem like it would be profitable enough to make that much difference in the case of the NHL. Especially without fans in the stands to see the ads, you are relying on TV ratings to drive the ad revenue.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Are there really advertizers looking for ways to pay the NHL money but just no remaining real estate left to place their adds? I feel like this would just cannibalize existing ad revenues... It's like creating a new flavour of Doritos, i might buy it but it'll be instead of the bag of cool ranch i usually get...

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
jokerit_gaolie2.jpg

NHL-Ice-Ads.jpg

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It would probably make sense for the NHL to sell advertising on the jerseys. I imagine that they have wanted to for a long time with the last World Cup being a prime example of it. If they do end up allowing ads on jerseys than it will never go away.

People will complain and state they will never buy another jersey again for whatever reason makes them feel better, but 10 years from now they will be normal and jerseys without ads will look strange, like if you see game footage from the 1970's without ads on the boards. I imagine that they will go with a small patch and not the monstrosities that some European Leagues have.

It is still not a good idea from fans perspective though.

I wonder if in the future people won't buy jerseys if they don't like the specific company advertising on them, or are more willing to buy one if its a brand they like. As a Manchester United fan I am hesitant to purchase a jersey because I'm not fond of Chevy for example.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Just a note from the Czech top league. The club Bílí Tygři Liberec has replaced their club´s logo (a tiger) on the jersey with a big sponsor logo due to financial problems caused by COVID. They will change a sponsor logo for every game, so as many sponsor´s logos as possible to appear on the jersey. They say the club belongs to one of the wealthiest Czech hockey clubs.

Have a nice look

Reactions: JMCx4

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Aesthetics maybe, team and building named after a military unit that never existed.

For you or anyone else interested, here's a nice article investigating the origins of the name: Why are the Leafs called the Leafs.

For the record, I also don't think it's accurate to state that the team is named after a non-existant regiment. Rather, the common story/myth that the team is named after a military regiment simply isn't true. There's a big difference between those two statements.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad