• Yes, and we should sign him for $ 5 mil over 5 years

• Yes, buit for 1 year only at $ 5 mil tops

• No, don't sign him, he's to old, and was just a rental

• No, we should develop a young guy like Roslo or someone else

Results are only viewable after voting.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Negative trade value, as in we’d have to compensate another team to take his contract.

My point is that if he’s tradeable, even for only a 7th round pick, then I’m not worried too much about his signing being a mistake because of his cap hit.
I can't imagine there would be much demand for that contract, but it is likely movable. Don't want another Mark Stuart situation He counts against the cap next year too.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I said at the time that we overpaid Kulikov. That said, I disagree that his upside is #6. He has been a good #5 for us all season. He could just as easily be playing #4 but Mo wants to play Buff and Enstrom together.

I think that overpay makes him a little hard to move though. He is paid 1 mil + above the level for a 4/5 tweener.

I've raised the question elsewhere that Toby might want to return to Sweden next year. There is also the possibility that he wants to play in the East where Sweden is ~ half the flight time away.
He's been deployed as a #6 when everyone is healthy and he's looked bad when he's been asked to do more.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I think you under rate Kulikov, but either way he is in our top 6. Pretty much everyone agreed we needed an upgrade at LHD which he is. As a UFA he cost us no assets other than cap space which he fits within. He improved our team at the cost of no assets. #6 spots are filled at less cost when you have someone in the organization that can fill the role or you are willing to trade an asset for them. If you don't have that then you have to go out and pay retail at UFA time to shore up a hole. What better and cheaper defenseman was available as a UFA to you think Chevy missed out on?
The thing is...

The Jets do have players that could plug that hole. I think they'd get similar (perhaps better) results with either Niku or Poolman in that role.

I was happy they got a piece to fill in just in case, but IMO they needed a stop-gap more than a three year player.

As I've said repeatedly, I just hope the added term doesn't cost them elsewhere. Two more years of Kuli could block them from signing Stastny.

If a #6 D man, prevents the team from signing a 2nd line centre - that is going to suck. If a 9.5 million dollar third pair prevents them from keeping an actual impact player, that's a negative IMO.

Winland

Mar 5, 2016
I'd like to keep him but I doubt he's gonna settle for anything less than 6 mil.. Littles contract is looking quite awful atm.

Actually Bryan Little is the only player in Jets squad being overpayed.. :popcorn:

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
I can't imagine there would be much demand for that contract, but it is likely movable. Don't want another Mark Stuart situation He counts against the cap next year too.

Fair enough. I do agree that paying a #6D $4m is no bueno. As long as they can give him away when they need the room, then I’m not worried.

HugoLalumiere

May 20, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Nope. IIRC it was done in a bit of an unusual way. When he signed, his full NMC was extended to cover this year. Didn't even know that was possible. :laugh:

If I am mistaken then you are correct. It would just be possible. I think the optics are bad though, with his new contract not even having kicked in yet. And, of course you must have Stastny signed before committing to moving Little.

According to CapFriendly, he has a modified NTC for this season where he submits a 14-team no trade list. Then, starting next year, a full NMC for two years and the modified NTC again for the remainder of the contract.

I really like that site for those little bits of info plus they're pretty much always up to date on everything.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
I'd like to keep him but I doubt he's gonna settle for anything less than 6 mil.. Littles contract is looking quite awful atm

Actually Bryan Little is the only player in Jets squad being overpayed.. :popcorn:
I would rate Myers in the same category and Enström’s $/game is also pretty high.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
2+5 in 6 games with excellent looking play. Got a secondary apple on the Laine goal today, but even without it a PPG player so far for the Jets.

Sample size is of course small but so far so good.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
According to CapFriendly, he has a modified NTC for this season where he submits a 14-team no trade list. Then, starting next year, a full NMC for two years and the modified NTC again for the remainder of the contract.

I really like that site for those little bits of info plus they're pretty much always up to date on everything.

That is incorrect though. When the Jets extended him last summer they extended his existing NMC to be a full NMC effective immediately. Strange provision but that is what they did.

HugoLalumiere

May 20, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
That is incorrect though. When the Jets extended him last summer they extended his existing NMC to be a full NMC effective immediately. Strange provision but that is what they did.

Well, I guess I would have to delve into it deeper to confirm. Since CapFriendly is supposed to be the "be all, end all" of the NHL's salary cap and contract information, I just assumed their info was accurate and up-to-date.

Still, that doesn't change much in the current discussion.

Jeffsrig

Jan 27, 2015
Innisfail
Team is going to thin out the back end over the next couple of seasons to make room for more offence. Expect to see a forward core similar to Pens and Hawks of past.

Enstrom Walks/Retires or signs short term low AAV to hang in for a cup
Myers is too expensive to keep will get moved/exposed or walks. (Too bad he has been a stud since he's been healthy)
Trouba....... Who ******** knows whether or not he will be here next year. Being injured hasn't helped his trade value.
Kulikov Stays
Morrisey Stays
Chiarot & Poolman occupy 5&6 spots.
Buff obviously going to play out the rest of his career.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'd like to keep him but I doubt he's gonna settle for anything less than 6 mil.. Littles contract is looking quite awful atm.

With the Jets recent success with Paul Statsny in the lineup playing as the number 2 center, I have a strong feeling that this will become a heated topic of debate.

He's really helped anchor that second line and bring veteran leadership to the group, and the young guys are following his lead. There is no question he does "make a difference" when in the lineup. He may contribute to a Stanley Cup for us.

With this being said, I can see by the poll that most people we agree that he's worth around $ 5 mil per year, at no more than 3 years, because of age. This is what I think as well.

Do you posters think we should sign him ??? and who would we have to let go ??--that's the question. We have to sign Laine, Connor, Morrisey and Trouba, and Wheeler's contract is coming up. How do we do all this ??? I believe he's making $ 7 mil this year, and half is retained by St.Louis. Winnipeg pays $ 3.5 approx right now.

We could trade off Perrault-- buy out Mason-- "not resign Enstrom" and trade of Kulikov -- just some ideas.

Statsny could be a key to a Stanley Cup run this year, but is getting older, and do you resign him, and what players are you going to lose.

Like to hear your comments, and what course of action do you think Chevy will pursue on this Statsny issue-- how much $$ and how long will he go -- or will he just let him walk like with Ladd ???

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
The way our team is built, I think if we can hang on to Stastny for another year or maybe two, we can replace him with someone younger in the org. We are definitely going to need some hometown (Stanley Cup Contenders?) discounts eventually though.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I've been on the keep Stastny train for awhile now. It's going to be very tough to get him back in a Jets uniform this off season. Though not impossible. Some short term bridge deals and likely having to move two of Myers, Perreault or Mason would give us a lot of breathing room. The only issue is the term can't be too high. We only need him for another two years. But with how his dad talked about St. Louis it doesn't seem like he's to keen to go back there.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I am all for moving Perreault and Little along with Mason if a team actaully would want him (I doubt anyone would). Enstrom is off the books and most likely will be gone. We have Poolman, Niku, and Morrow who are going to develop. I think Stastny will be too expensive based on his playoff performance to this point. It is up to him and his family to want to return to Winnipeg on a home team discount.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
If you read between the lines in his interviews, I don't get the impression that Stastny is treating this as any more than a one-off.

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
If we could dump enough expendable salary I'd rather have Stastny than Little but probably won't happen.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

With the Jets recent success with Paul Statsny in the lineup playing as the number 2 center, I have a strong feeling that this will become a heated topic of debate.

He's really helped anchor that second line and bring veteran leadership to the group, and the young guys are following his lead. There is no question he does "make a difference" when in the lineup. He may contribute to a Stanley Cup for us.

With this being said, I can see by the poll that most people we agree that he's worth around $ 5 mil per year, at no more than 3 years, because of age. This is what I think as well.

Do you posters think we should sign him ??? and who would we have to let go ??--that's the question. We have to sign Laine, Connor, Morrisey and Trouba, and Wheeler's contract is coming up. How do we do all this ??? I believe he's making $ 7 mil this year, and half is retained by St.Louis. Winnipeg pays $ 3.5 approx right now.

We could trade off Perrault-- buy out Mason-- "not resign Enstrom" and trade of Kulikov -- just some ideas.

Statsny could be a key to a Stanley Cup run this year, but is getting older, and do you resign him, and what players are you going to lose.

Like to hear your comments, and what course of action do you think Chevy will pursue on this Statsny issue-- how much $$ and how long will he go -- or will he just let him walk like with Ladd ???

You forgot Hellybuck

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Yes your right on--and Helle will cost big bucs--like about $ 5-6 mil per year. Yup--add Helle to the list--getting expensive.:eek:

Last edited:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Opportunities to dump salary without a massive dropoff:
  • Mason
  • Kulikov
  • Myers

The Jets should be looking at these moves regardless. Can't dedicate 10MM of cap to a mediocre 3rd pair - especially with Poolman and Niku pressing + Morrow and Chiarot for the press box.

Would Toby come back for another year on the cheap?

Little only becomes expendable if Stastny is retained, but he has a NTC.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad