Should the Jets go after any UFA FWDs?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Gagner looks really poor at Even Strength D and takes more penalties then he draws (we already take too many). I don't think we need more "pure" offense guys though his FO wins could benefit us.
He's nothing to write home about defensively for sure. But he's also money on the PP. He has 22 PIMs this year in 81 gp which would have ranked near last on all jets Fs so it's not like he's hurting you in penalties. I think he would help Connor and armia hit there offensive potentials way better than lowry.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
I have been an advocate of adding a "defensive" forward but wasn't aware of the bolded. I just know that having Stuart, Thorburn and Tanev out at the same time last season made me close my eyes and cry.

I think this is what our PK forwards more or less looked liked last season:

Chef - Wheels
Lowry - Armia
Copp - Little
Tanev - Thorburn

Lets say Frenchie takes over for Scorburn. Ideally I would like to see someone instead of Tanev. I'm not sure who would be up for the task.

I would like us to trade for Hansen. I think he could be had cheaply and adds experience, great defensive play along with around 30 pts a season. Oh yea and he is Danish :yo:

Not sure it's realistic but I'd like option to not have chef on PK.. That would allow us to always throw in Laine+Chef+Ehlers after pk and mostly get back on rotation.

I think part of the reason PK is bad for Jets is that it messes up our rotation more than it maybe should.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Hanzal would be awesome but not at the price/term he will command.

A third line of Lowry - Hanzal - Armia would be hard to control.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Not sure it's realistic but I'd like option to not have chef on PK.. That would allow us to always throw in Laine+Chef+Ehlers after pk and mostly get back on rotation.

I think part of the reason PK is bad for Jets is that it messes up our rotation more than it maybe should.

Scheif wasn't killing penalties until more than half way thru the year iirc. Your best players should be able to play PK.

Scheif has hit his offensive potential. It's time he starts working towards being a top defensive player. That will take us further in the playoffs more than an extra 10 reg season pts will.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I have been an advocate of adding a "defensive" forward but wasn't aware of the bolded. I just know that having Stuart, Thorburn and Tanev out at the same time last season made me close my eyes and cry.

I think this is what our PK forwards more or less looked liked last season:

Chef - Wheels
Lowry - Armia
Copp - Little
Tanev - Thorburn

Lets say Frenchie takes over for Scorburn. Ideally I would like to see someone instead of Tanev. I'm not sure who would be up for the task.

I would like us to trade for Hansen. I think he could be had cheaply and adds experience, great defensive play along with around 30 pts a season. Oh yea and he is Danish :yo:

2018 U.F.A signing for the Jets.....

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I might sign Versteeg for a couple of years and flip Perreault for a #2 LHD if presented the opportunity. Not sure who that would be though.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Don't think getting a 3c would be a bad idea if we can afford it
Doubt we can tho

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I don't understand the adoration people still have for lemieux. Sure i guess i shouldn't write him off after one bad AHL season, but it was really bad.

edit: Adoration was as strong word. Hope would have been more accurate. IMO there's only the faintest shimmer of hope he turns into anything at this point.

Add to that, he brings nothing more then a guy like J.C. Lipon does besides a last name, and Lipon scored considerably more p/g in the A then lemieux.

I get the appeal of the agitator who can score, but at this point Lemieux can't score!

If all you want an agitator that might be able to score, dress lipon. If all you want's an agitator...uhm...don't?

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
don't go after any UFA's. They're all overpriced dinosaurs playing the worst hockey they've ever played.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Weren't the Jets linked to Winnik just before he signed his last contract with Toronto?

He and Boyle are the names that seem likely to me as guys the Jets would look at if the price was right.

Really, we have Thorburn, Stafford, and Pavelec ALL coming off the books, not many RFAs needing much of a raise, and a one-year window before Ehlers, Little, Trouba, etc need new deals. If it was up to me, I'd spent $2-3M on a good 3rd line C or LW on a one-year deal and go for it (for once!)

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I don't understand the adoration people still have for lemieux. Sure i guess i shouldn't write him off after one bad AHL season, but it was really bad.

edit: Adoration was as strong word. Hope would have been more accurate. IMO there's only the faintest shimmer of hope he turns into anything at this point.

Add to that, he brings nothing more then a guy like J.C. Lipon does besides a last name, and Lipon scored considerably more p/g in the A then lemieux.

I get the appeal of the agitator who can score, but at this point Lemieux can't score!

If all you want an agitator that might be able to score, dress lipon. If all you want's an agitator...uhm...don't?

His first year of pro was plagued by an injury that robbed him of his first pro training camp, which by most accounts is the most important tc for players.

I believe he has more to offer than Lipon, who I like as well, but he has to show it this year. I see him being a Mathias replacement next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad