Speculation: Should the Islanders trade for Johnny Boychuk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fan101

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Hopefully it doesn't turn into a Vanek trade where we give up a lot with the thought that "he hopefully likes it once he's here" .

Honestly what do we have that can make BOS better in the short term? I know they like strong fourth line players and I think we have the forward depth to do that.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Hopefully it doesn't turn into a Vanek trade where we give up a lot with the thought that "he hopefully likes it once he's here" .

Honestly what do we have that can make BOS better in the short term? I know they like strong fourth line players and I think we have the forward depth to do that.

The goal is to win games. If he helps us actually contend and win a playoff round, I won't be that upset if he walks after one season. All of the guys being discussed as trade chips in this thread didn't even make our top 7 or so prospects on that ranking we voted on over the summer. We can spare the cost.

JZCislesHockey

Jul 29, 2013
Long Island, NY
Johnny Boychuk is legitimately the kind of player that is exactly what we need. I'd trade for him everyday of the week and twice on Sundays. I'd even put some roster players on the table.

BroadwayJay*

Those signings mean they're over by 3.6m.

Boychuck makes 3.36m against the cap

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Just curious, but does that change if they put Savard on LTIR? I read somewhere they can do that...

I thought they can't do that until the season started, meaning they need to get below the cap before they can put Savard on LTIR. I could be wrong about that though.

BroadwayJay*

I thought they can't do that until the season started, meaning they need to get below the cap before they can put Savard on LTIR. I could be wrong about that though.

This is also my understanding. What is Savards cap hit anyway? I'm in court and it is hard to navigate capgeek on my phone.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The Bruins will be under the cap when Savard goes on LTIR, and even if they want some more space, there are cheaper guys they can move.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Leopold from St. Louis could probably be had for a pick, but he's nothing special.

Morris and Salo are still out there as well as far as I'm concerned.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia

This is also my understanding. What is Savards cap hit anyway? I'm in court and it is hard to navigate capgeek on my phone.

The New CBA states that a player can be placed on LTIR after the season starts for full value of his contract or on the last day of training camp for the value needed to get to the cap ceiling.

rounded example; Savard contract 4M, say Bruins over by 1.5M. LTIR will clear 4M after the season starts or 2.5M on the last day of training camp.

BroadwayJay*

The New CBA states that a player can be placed on LTIR after the season starts for full value of his contract or on the last day of training camp for the value needed to get to the cap ceiling.

rounded example; Savard contract 4M, say Bruins over by 1.5M. LTIR will clear 4M after the season starts or 2.5M on the last day of training camp.

So it would only cost them 0.5m in cap space to do it before the season starts. Not a bad deal for them, they'll be fine.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

But that means they lose out on the additional cap relief and if they needed to make a move during the season, they'd be at the cap ceiling already? Not ideal, but I guess its better than unecessarily trading a valuable player like Boychuk.

My guess is that they still make a move, just not something as big as Boychuk.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
So it would only cost them 0.5m in cap space to do it before the season starts. Not a bad deal for them, they'll be fine.

I didnt look at the actual numbers just the principle of the effect. I never expected Krug ans Smith to sign for 1.4M each. I saw Ellis' 2.5M as a comparable for Krug and therefore expected to see 5M tied up by those two forcing a deal.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Leopold from St. Louis could probably be had for a pick, but he's nothing special.

Morris and Salo are still out there as well as far as I'm concerned.

Sign me up. They are all better than Donovan/Strait/Brennan.

I'm tired of garbage on D. Atleast those guys you named have shown that they could play in the league and you could get a year out of them.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Sign me up. They are all better than Donovan/Strait/Brennan.

I'm tired of garbage on D. Atleast those guys you named have shown that they could play in the league and you could get a year out of them.

How's the cap floor situation, are they already over the floor plus the revenue sharing?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Those signings mean they're over by 3.6m.

Boychuck makes 3.36m against the cap

Isn't there "squish" allowed in a season that gets applied against the next season, or am I thinking of the previous CBA?

I am pretty sure they don't have to move anyone for a while. It is a rolling count that adds up to the end of the year. They could absorb his cap hit for half the year and move him at game 41, along with some other assets. As long as it ads up to the right amount by game 82 I think they are ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad