Speculation: Should the Islanders trade for Johnny Boychuk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/rumor-roundup-should-the-islanders-trade-for-johnny-boychuk/

"With the start of the upcoming NHL season less than two weeks away, interest is growing over the potential moves by Boston Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli to free up cap space. It’s been speculated for weeks Chiarelli could move one of his nine NHL-ready defensemen, creating additional room to re-sign restricted free agents Torey Krug and Reilly Smith.

Trading Johnny Boychuk ($3.37 million cap hit), who’s an unrestricted free agent in July, would easily remedy the situation, but Chiarelli seems reluctant to move him. Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reports of speculation the Bruins could re-sign Boychuk, but an extension hasn’t been discussed."

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Does a whale **** in the ocean? Of course they should trade for Boychuk!

Mayfield + PHI 2nd. It's overpayment but it'll get it done. Equivalent of two 2nd's.

1. I'm not sure that deal gets it done.
  2. I'm tired of trading assets of value for guys who are UFAs after the season and will NOT resign with us. I'd rather just suck up some growing pains and wait for the Reinharts & Pulocks of the world.

Fan101

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Pulock did not look lost at all last night. If we keep him and Reinhart it may be a gamble but I think both of them may have a quick learning curve. I think biggest problem is risk of putting the vets on waivers to send them down. Not crazy about having a mistake prone defense with rookies but likewise slower injury prone vets do not make for stable play. Teams need to achieve rhythm and this can happen with healthy young players if you can live with their mistakes.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
  2. I'm tired of trading assets of value for guys who are UFAs after the season and will NOT resign with us. I'd rather just suck up some growing pains and wait for the Reinharts & Pulocks of the world.

I agree.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I don't think BOS trades Boychuk but if hes made available for the right price you absolutely have to make a serious effort to get him....

He only has 1yr left so our top prospects are off the table but the B level guys are fine by me.

Boychuk would make a HUGE impact for us. 24 year old Hamonic is our leader on the blue line right now. A 30 year old Vet with lots of playoff experience would do wonders for us.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Honestly, the islanders can I'll afford the black eye of trading for another UFA to be. Heck, the Vanek-black eye deal I still healing.

If boychuk was a slam dunk resign then you move some level b prospect like a mayfield and a pick seven days a week.

However at this point I wouldn't make a trade like that unless it was at the deadline and were in serious playoff contention.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Honestly, the islanders can I'll afford the black eye of trading for another UFA to be. Heck, the Vanek-black eye deal I still healing.

If boychuk was a slam dunk resign then you move some level b prospect like a mayfield and a pick seven days a week.

However at this point I wouldn't make a trade like that unless it was at the deadline and were in serious playoff contention.

Our prospect system is at the point where we can afford to make moves like this...

The Vanek deal was different...

Boychuk on the blueline could be the difference from a 8-12th finish to a 6-8th finish

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Only if we are allowed to speak with him and receive a gentleman's agreement that he will sign to a figure between $x & $y million for another 4 years. You could make it part of the trade as you can extend a contract at any time.

Fan101

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Our prospect pool especially on d is young and deep, but if these guys don't progress, some may end up on Stockton or Pokka may return to Finland, so guys HAVE to be promoted.

As far as Boychuk would he pull a Vanek and say he likes the organization but signs on with a team that he has ties to or Boyle that goes with the original six.

Grabo and Kulemin signing was great because they liked the Brooklyn community and Viz found it exciting to be here as well. The Europeans really have an affinity to play for the NYC area teams.

Last edited:

michaelrc51

Jul 6, 2011
Only if we are allowed to speak with him and receive a gentleman's agreement that he will sign to a figure between $x & $y million for another 4 years. You could make it part of the trade as you can extend a contract at any time.

I think we can't pass it up as long as we don't overpay and as long as he will sign an extension with the Isles.

How about Boychuck for Mayfield and then a draft pick contingent on Boychuck signing an extension?

scott99

May 13, 2005
What makes you guys think Snow is crafty enough to get Boychuck or even wants him. Haven't we seen Snow get ***** enough when it comes to trades. I'd give them Bailey + (maybe a low level D prospect) for Boychuck. Then hope we can sign him. But a reminder, Snow is our GM, just because a guy might become available doesn't mean Snow can get his man.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
These articles make me smile when I recall this:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1679357

Maybe we'll get lucky and I'll call a trade again well in advance....maybe this time it could be more impactful than Roloson for Wishart. :laugh:

(Wishart projected to be somewhat similar to Reinhart with more puck distribution once upon a time.....before he came here and languished, I felt pretty damned good about that trade.)

It doesn't have to be Boychuk, but a d-man of that ilk could make the defence a little closer to top of the middle 3rd of the league, rather than the bottom 3rd.

Knowing Snow, there's another d-man in mind we haven't thought of. Who would have called Wisniewski before he was acquired?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Of course they should.

Pulock looked great, Reinhart has all of the accolades, Pokka showed some poise, but Boychuk is a veteran who's been through it all.

Mayfield and a 2nd is worth the gamble in my opinion, but I'm not even sure that would get it done and that's even assuming Snow has interest.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Acquiring Boychuk would allow us to shelter Vis at even strength, and is the only way we have a chance at re-signing him. It would also allow Pulock to get time in the AHL (I know how good he looked, don't really care).

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013

Assets we don't use eventually stop being assets. We've spent more than five years stockpiling draft picks and prospects and watching growing pains. I'm completely willing to deal from our enormous pool of mid-level assets to improve the team even if it's for this year only.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
Does a whale **** in the ocean? Of course they should trade for Boychuk!

Mayfield + PHI 2nd. It's overpayment but it'll get it done. Equivalent of two 2nd's.

I don't agree that this is overpayment. I think it is going to take more. If you are willing to part with Mayfield, make it hurt more. Do you like Pelech? If so, he's in there, maybe even WITH Mayfield and the 2nd. For the record, I want to hold onto to Pelech, but you have to give to get...so, if Boychuk is available for the deal I proposed, and the team thinks they can sign him, I think they'd do it. After all, where does Pelech slot with deHaan, Hamonic, Reinhart, Pokka, and Pulock looking to be ahead of him, with a guy like Hickey back there, too.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
I'm just hoping this story is being floated as a pre-curser to return the (cap) favor.. a wink-nod from the Tim Thomas trade..

How'd that work out for Boston anyway?

startainfection*

i would gladly trade alot for boychuk, yeah i know he is a ufa sure long island might not be where h wants to play but what other holes do the isles have if one is filled by boychuk, our goaltending is very good, our forwards are elite and with boychuk our defense goes from below average to above average, also he is a young vet and was a main component for a stanley cup winning team just a few seasons ago

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm just hoping this story is being floated as a pre-curser to return the (cap) favor.. a wink-nod from the Tim Thomas trade..

The Isles did help Boston out, after all. Hopefully if Snow makes a fair offer among the others obsiously there for such a defenseman, Chiarelli listens.

I don't agree that this is overpayment. I think it is going to take more. If you are willing to part with Mayfield, make it hurt more. Do you like Pelech? If so, he's in there, maybe even WITH Mayfield and the 2nd. For the record, I want to hold onto to Pelech, but you have to give to get...so, if Boychuk is available for the deal I proposed, and the team thinks they can sign him, I think they'd do it. After all, where does Pelech slot with deHaan, Hamonic, Reinhart, Pokka, and Pulock looking to be ahead of him, with a guy like Hickey back there, too.

Out of curiosity, you wouldn't rather send a forward back with Mayfield and the 2nd?

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
i would gladly trade alot for boychuk, yeah i know he is a ufa sure long island might not be where h wants to play but what other holes do the isles have if one is filled by boychuk, our goaltending is very good, our forwards are elite and with boychuk our defense goes from below average to above average, also he is a young vet and was a main component for a stanley cup winning team just a few seasons ago

While below average and above average are completely subjective in the absence of numbers which I've seen on these boards the passed few days, I don't know if Boychuk himself could bring us from "below average" to "above average". IMO there are only a few lone individuals such as Weber, Doughty, Suter, Keith, Subban, etc. who could take us from sub-par to above average. Though,I am certainly open to hearing how Boychuk can have that impact.

I agree with the posters above, it is time to start using our prospects as trade chips, young, cost-friendly guy's who can be used as building blocks for other teams who are already deep with NHL ready D. If it takes sending 2 guys and a pick, then that's what it takes. Dealing prospects is always a gamble but we've sucked long enough and drafted high enough in recent years that we've got to have a few forwards and D Men who pan out and have elite potential. It seems we already have a hunch of who those are going to be.

startainfection*

While below average and above average are completely subjective in the absence of numbers which I've seen on these boards the passed few days, I don't know if Boychuk himself could bring us from "below average" to "above average". IMO there are only a few lone individuals such as Weber, Doughty, Suter, Keith, Subban, etc. who could take us from sub-par to above average. Though,I am certainly open to hearing how Boychuk can have that impact.

I agree with the posters above, it is time to start using our prospects as trade chips, young, cost-friendly guy's who can be used as building blocks for other teams who are already deep with NHL ready D. If it takes sending 2 guys and a pick, then that's what it takes. Dealing prospects is always a gamble but we've sucked long enough and drafted high enough in recent years that we've got to have a few forwards and D Men who pan out and have elite potential. It seems we already have a hunch of who those are going to be.

i think our defense is better than it is given credit for and although it is bad it can be fixed by adding just 1 dman

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
The Isles did help Boston out, after all. Hopefully if Snow makes a fair offer among the others obsiously there for such a defenseman, Chiarelli listens.

Out of curiosity, you wouldn't rather send a forward back with Mayfield and the 2nd?

Sure, I'd include a forward with Mayfield. I had blinders on a bit when I added Pelech in (was thinking D prospects).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad