Should the Flyers trade up for Marner?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
You might be right.

Probably not, but I look at it as this, I think the Flyers are getting close to turning the corner, yes we do need tons of forward prospects, BUT they have young forwards right now. If they have a chance to get a kid that can be legit in 2 years on the wing of Giroux or centering the 2nd line to be dangerous, go get him.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
or could be wrong. No one knows for sure.

but I would have pre-draft convos with Carolina to see who they really want and the cost of moving to 5 if Marner is there. But he is the only one I even think of moving up for.

I'd move up for Strome. He could be a very good scoring 2nd liner no this team for years to come. On a lot of teams I could see him becoming a #1, but not with Giroux in the fold. A decade of G-Strome-Coots down the middle could be as good (if not better) than a decade of Marner-G-Voracek.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
I rather have Marner than Crouse/Zacha and Boeser. Marner is a future star and the latter will be good players. I guess the more I think about it the more it makes sense to trade the 7th and the 30th for the 3rd/4th.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I rather have Marner than Crouse/Zacha and Boeser. Marner is a future star and the latter will be good players.

You're probably right, but it's not certain by any means. What if two years ago Calgary traded up to get Drouin at 3 instead of taking Monahan at 6?

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
You're probably right, but it's not certain by any means. What if two years ago Calgary traded up to get Drouin at 3 instead of taking Monahan at 6?

They could have gotten Jones at 3 as well. I think they would have been happy with any of the guys they got.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I honestly think we should stay put. I'd rather have multiple prospects and gain some good depth than one person who may or may not make it as a star. More picks = more chances to get a star.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I honestly think we should stay put. I'd rather have multiple prospects and gain some good depth than one person who may or may not make it as a star. More picks = more chances to get a star.

Except history shows that 29/30 is not a good spot to even get a half decent player.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Except history shows that 29/30 is not a good spot to even get a half decent player.

Just because other teams made bad picks doesn't mean the Flyers will. There were very good players taken in the 2nd round every one of those seasons.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Last couple years have been half-way decent at least. Too early to tell on last year's guys, but Ryan Hartman from 2013 looks promising thus far for what he is. 2012 had Stefan Mattaeu and Tanner Pearson, I think we'd be pretty excited if we wound up with a guy like them at 29/30. 2011 had Rickard Rakell at 30 and he put up ok numbers in his rookie campaign. Brock Nelson had 20 goals last year for the Islanders (#30 in 2010), and Emerson Etem is a guy people seem to like out in ANA. These guys are far from being superstars, but they are players that I'd be happy to have on this team.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Every Flyers 2nd/3rd pick in the last 4 drafts has gotten an ELC besides Friedman who can't sign until he chooses to leave college. I'm confident the Flyers get someone decent with that late first.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Every Flyers 2nd/3rd pick in the last 4 drafts has gotten an ELC besides Friedman who can't sign until he chooses to leave college. I'm confident the Flyers get someone decent with that late first.

Looking thru past drafts, it hurts to see that we take Mathers and 2 picks later goes Palat. Yes I know it was in the 7th round, but it's why you always draft talent.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm curious, if Marner is heads and shoulders above everyone else at #4/5, why would a team trade down unless we offered a king's ransom?

Or is this the fandom assumption that everyone else is stupid but them?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm curious, if Marner is heads and shoulders above everyone else at #4/5, why would a team trade down unless we offered a king's ransom?

Or is this the fandom assumption that everyone else is stupid but them?

They won't trade down, all this talk is wishful thinking by people on here.

If Marner makes it to 4 or 5, which he probably won't, then he's clearly ahead of the guys who will be available when we pick.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'd feel WAY more comfortable with Marner than Strome.

I don't know, Strome seems to be just as highly regarded as Marner and put up just as gaudy numbers. Strome seems like more of a pure goal scorer, which would be GREAT to have on that second line. Marner I'm sure projects to be a top liner, and would look nice playing in Giroux's wing with Voracek, but that's just one line that is already comprised of too great talents (also, not sure if Marner can play LW). I think if we didn't have Voracek on Giroux's wing, I'd be more interested in Marner, but if they can get a guy like Strome who could be a top line center and stick him on the 2nd line with Schenn and Simmonds, I'd rather have that than Marner-G-Voracek.

Is Marner a guy that could play on the second line and make guys like Schenn look better? This team lacked secondary scoring this year and there doesn't appear to be anyone in the pipeline to fix that ATM. Strome could be that guy.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't know, Strome seems to be just as highly regarded as Marner and put up just as gaudy numbers. Strome seems like more of a pure goal scorer, which would be GREAT to have on that second line. Marner I'm sure projects to be a top liner, and would look nice playing in Giroux's wing with Voracek, but that's just one line that is already comprised of too great talents (also, not sure if Marner can play LW). I think if we didn't have Voracek on Giroux's wing, I'd be more interested in Marner, but if they can get a guy like Strome who could be a top line center and stick him on the 2nd line with Schenn and Simmonds, I'd rather have that than Marner-G-Voracek.

Is Marner a guy that could play on the second line and make guys like Schenn look better? This team lacked secondary scoring this year and there doesn't appear to be anyone in the pipeline to fix that ATM. Strome could be that guy.

Marner can play Center too. No reason to think he can't be an NHL center behind Giroux and then eventually take over for Giroux as 1st line center in 4-5 years when Giroux begins to slow down.

Even if Marner couldn't play Center, you need two good scoring lines to be a contender. Marner on 2nd line LW would give us a consistent 2nd line threat. That line needs a dynamic playmaker one way or another.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Strome's more of a goal scorer than Marner... except Marner had more goals per game than Strome this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad