Should the Flyers trade up for Marner?

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
As good as Provorov or Connor or whomever may be, I think it is pretty safe bet Marner will be a star.

Would you be willing to trade up with Arizona? If so, at what price?
1. 7th + our other number
2. 7th + B. Schenn for 3rd and Arizona second?
etc..

Or would you rather not try to move up?

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
I asked this in the draft thread, I would do the opposite and trade back 3-4 spots and gain more assets.

If you could trade back 3 or 4 slots and pick up an early second I think it would be worth it. That said, if you could trade up to get Marner would you do it and at what price?

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
If you could trade back 3 or 4 slots and pick up an early second I think it would be worth it. That said, if you could trade up to get Marner would you do it and at what price?

Hard for me for say i would trade up. Outside of mock draft blurbs I haven't read too much into Marner or Hanifan because we most likely don't have a chance at them. So I'm not sure how great Marner can be to say yeah let's move up and get him. I know more about the guys in our range which is why I would move back a few and gain more. If you were to tell me Marner will be a perennial Ross candidate along with McDavid and Eichel then I would be more inclined to trade up. All things considered I would like to keep our late first and add more to it, but that's just me.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Would do 7 29 and chi 2nd next year. B Schenn as a piece to move up is a nonstarter

My thinking pretty much to a tee... I wouldn't want to include a young Core player... I'm all for gathering and retaining Picks to a point but would rather use some in the Draft to obtain a better quality better positioned player them... It is better to get one stud than three iffy players who may or may not ever play on your NHL Roster down the line... But giving up on the potential of Schenn in the process to me negates the process entirely.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
There isn't much difference from 7 to 10/11. If the guy you really want will be there at 10/11, why not?

It's about positional options. You want to have the ability to pick both a potential stud on D or O. Depending on how the draft goes that may not be an option and we'll get stuck with Crouse.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
A good point to remember is just how good the Flyers have been over the years at drafting late in the First Round -- and forget about the later Rounds -- I'm not sure if that started when Chris Pryor came over from Buffalo or not... but they have really done well with their normally low Draft selection year in and year out.

With that said, I think I'd still include the 29th/30th in moving up for a stud.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
A good point to remember is just how good the Flyers have been over the years at drafting late in the First Round -- and forget about the later Rounds -- I'm not sure if that started when Chris Pryor came over from Buffalo or not... but they have really done well with their normally low Draft selection year in and year out.

With that said, I think I'd still include the 29th/30th in moving up for a stud.

I would do this. I think Marner is going to be a special player.

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
Hang on to our picks or move back a few spots and pick whoever is leftover at 10 or 11

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
If the Flyers think Marner is a special player, you go get him. That's my thought. If they think he's marginally better than a guy they'll get @ 7. Sit tight.

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
Im not a fan of trading down from 7.

I'd much rather draft the one of Provorov, Barzel, Crouse, Zacha etc etc that I wanted, then be stuck with the one thats left for the sake of adding an early second.

I'm in the quality of quantity camp. There is a clear difference between Provorov at 7 or Barzal at 7 then Werenski or Meier at 10-14 IMO.

I'd also be willing to trade into the 4-5 spots, but dont see those teams moving those picks for anything short of an over payment due to their teams need to acquire high skilled players.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
If they viewed Hanifin as a future No. 1 (as presumably they did with Ekblad) and not Provorov/Werenski, I would trade up. Not for Marner. Great player, but not worth it for a winger in my view.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Trading up into the top-5 range would cost a lot and would only be worth it if they are fully convinced to get a franchise player with that pick.

I assume all talk starts with a first in 2016 or a somewhat proven young asset plus an early second rounder this year.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
All depends on what it costs. I'd be interested in Strome, Marner, or Hanifin, but I wouldn't trade up to three and give up a ton. If one of them fell to five and we could swing a deal that allowed us to keep that TBL pick I'd do it.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Rather stock the cupboard then pay multiple high picks for 3 spots. This draft is our chance to become fully stocked at all positions

It really depends on how the Flyers feel they will do this upcoming season. If next year is another rebuilding year substantially outside the playoffs like this past season, I would save the big trade up until the 2016 draft which doesn't seem to be as deep. If however Hextall plans to make significant changes to the roster and expects a playoff birth, this might be the highest the Flyers will pick in a draft for some time and should make an attempt to get a truly elite difference maker.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
It really depends on how the Flyers feel they will do this upcoming season. If next year is another rebuilding year substantially outside the playoffs like this past season, I would save the big trade up until the 2016 draft which doesn't seem to be as deep. If however Hextall plans to make significant changes to the roster and expects a playoff birth, this might be the highest the Flyers will pick in a draft for some time and should make an attempt to get a truly elite difference maker.

That's a good point. I don't think Flyers will be Top 5 next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad