Should the Flyers trade up for Marner?

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I'm curious, if Marner is heads and shoulders above everyone else at #4/5, why would a team trade down unless we offered a king's ransom?

Or is this the fandom assumption that everyone else is stupid but them?

Its either marner or hanifin at that spot. A lot of people think az is concerned with marners size and don't want to take another defensemen. So they would be willing to move down to pick up other assets.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Anthony mingioni thinks pick 3 & 4 will be used, doesn't think any team will pay the price to move up.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Strome's more of a goal scorer than Marner... except Marner had more goals per game than Strome this season.

That's fine, but at the NHL level I think it is expected that Strome will be more of a goal scorer and Marner will be more of a playmaker. Is that not accurate? Not arguing with you I just thought that was the scouting reports on these guys. If it isn't then sign me up on the Marner train (along with Strome because I like him too and think he is also worth trading up to grab).

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I would like to commit to couts as our second line center. Given the choice of a high end C, W or D I have to go D then W then C trying to fit that within BPA.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
I would like to commit to couts as our second line center. Given the choice of a high end C, W or D I have to go D then W then C trying to fit that within BPA.

If the Flyers traded up to grab Marner, there is a chance Marner makes the team next year. There is nothing left for him to prove in Junior hockey. The top 3 lines could be:

Voracek- Giroux - Raffl
Marner - Couturier- Read
Simmonds - Schenn - Laughton

That is not a bad group of forwards.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

I think Couts is better suited for the third line. Regardless of the improvement in his offensive game and how high his ceiling is there, his real value is on the defensive end. If he is centering the second line, that second line is going to still play a defensive role against the best opponents. Let someone else be on that second line and add the secondary scoring, otherwise we are going to be looking for a defensive forward to do what Coots does, which is not an easy thing to find.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think Couts is better suited for the third line. Regardless of the improvement in his offensive game and how high his ceiling is there, his real value is on the defensive end. If he is centering the second line, that second line is going to still play a defensive role against the best opponents. Let someone else be on that second line and add the secondary scoring, otherwise we are going to be looking for a defensive forward to do what Coots does, which is not an easy thing to find.

I see him as a Bergeron type playing on the second line. It also seems that Schenn finally found a spot on couts wing after being used everywhere else and not fitting.

I see Laughton centering the third line as a speedy energy line that checks well and draws penalties but doesn't have a lot of finish.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'd do 7th + B. Schenn + 2nd round pick for the 3rd pick

Thats the type of package you give up for an established young 1st liner that has proven himself. Not for an unproven prospect with 1st line potential.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I'd put myself out on a limb and state that Marner is a lock to be amazing. Pretty confident he is a sure thing.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'd do 7th + B. Schenn + 2nd round pick for the 3rd pick

Not a chance.

Schenn gets too much hate on here.

The 30th scoring wingers in today's NHL get 42 points. Schenn got 47.

Schenn has increased his point totals for 5 straight years.

He is cheap

He is young.

He will be in his prime when we are looking to compete for something meaningful again.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Not a chance.

Schenn gets too much hate on here.

The 30th scoring wingers in today's NHL get 42 points. Schenn got 47.

Schenn has increased his point totals for 5 straight years.

He is cheap

He is young.

He will be in his prime when we are looking to compete for something meaningful again.

I'm not a huge Brayden Schenn fan, but you're absolutely right. Plus that package listed is waaaay too much to move up 4 spots IMO.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'd put myself out on a limb and state that Marner is a lock to be amazing. Pretty confident he is a sure thing.

I'm confident he is too, but that package to move up 4 spots is absurd.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
1311947915015.jpg

Toronto fans already getting so defensive regarding a prospect they haven't even drafted yet. :laugh:

The whole "entire website is against Toronto fans" mentality they have is a direct result of the "Toronto fans are insufferable" reality.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
There are two equations I believe are true:

R+L = J (Game of Thrones)

and

1C + 1D = contender

Marner doesn't get you to the second, so I wouldn't give up major assets to move up for him. I am for drafting Provorov or Werenski and hoping they turn out to be that elusive 1D.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
1311947915015.jpg

Toronto fans already getting so defensive regarding a prospect they haven't even drafted yet. :laugh:

The whole "entire website is against Toronto fans" mentality they have is a direct result of the "Toronto fans are insufferable" reality.

Perfectly stated :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad