Should the Flyers trade for the 1st overall pick?

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Trading a former 8th overall with great upside who is already a proven NHLer at age 20 plus multiple future first round picks (or a similar package) for the 1st overall is just pure lunacy!

If Seth Jones turns into the next Chris Pronger or Scott Niedermeyer, this may pay off 5 years from now but on the other hand Seth Jones may never hit the ultra elite level.
What if he just turns out a very good player, but for some reason never dominates?
Crazier things have happened in the past...

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
IMO we should trade-up to 6, 7, or 8 and draft Ristolainen

No point in wasting assets for a guy who can very easily land in that spot.

Unless the organization is very confident that "he is the guy" and knows another organization is confidently going to select him who is ahead of them in the draft order.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I'm not sure there's a dman in league I'd be trade couts schenn bros and first for let alone a player that's not even in the league yet. Our team is good people. We will get a great player at 11

domestique

Feb 5, 2011
CONUS
Didn't move Coots for Weber, not moving him for an unproven teenager.

I do realistically see Homer packaging a deal for Yandle.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Didn't move Coots for Weber, not moving him for an unproven teenager.

I think a big part of that is not necessarily that Coots was untouchable, but more that the Preds wanted so much more in addition to Coots that it wouldn't have made sense. I could be wrong but I think they were asking a king's ransom for Weber that included Couturier ++++++++.

I do realistically see Homer packaging a deal for Yandle.

I could see it too.

CyborgLindros

Mar 29, 2012
I'm fine with making a package for Yandle.............lets not include Coots or Schenn. I could see laughton although i'd rather not. I just think if Coots was going to be moved for a Dman that would have happened last year for Weber.

domestique

Feb 5, 2011
CONUS
Can Mezaros even be traded right now with ending the season injured? Obviously his value is terrible right now.

But how would everyone feel about:

To Phi:
Yandle

To Phx:
2013 First
Mezaros
Laughton

Or

2013 First
Read (if Homer feels he will be asking too much to resign)
Laughton

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I'm fine with making a package for Yandle.............lets not include Coots or Schenn. I could see laughton although i'd rather not. I just think if Coots was going to be moved for a Dman that would have happened last year for Weber.

Gonna have to give to get. I agree with not moving Couturier or Schenn but I'd be fine with Laughton. With Yandle though he does worry me skittle. Reminds me of a slightly better Carle which his stats point out. It's his defensive play that worries me.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Depends on who is on the board at 11. Imagine someone interesting fell out of the top ten. Then it could be that first for Yandle straight up. Talking a draft day trade obviously.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Stay at 11 and take BPA, if they want to move up a few spots to get someone.. so be it.

There's no way Colorado trades that pick, so lets just focus on our position and take it from there..

Flyers2point0

Nov 21, 2012
Chicago, IL
Can Mezaros even be traded right now with ending the season injured? Obviously his value is terrible right now.

But how would everyone feel about:

To Phi:
Yandle

To Phx:
2013 First
Mezaros
Laughton

Or

2013 First
Read (if Homer feels he will be asking too much to resign)
Laughton

Replace 2013 with 2014 or Read+Cousins or some other combination and I'm in. I wouldn't give up the chance to draft Z or Risto this year.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Replace 2013 with 2014 or Read+Cousins or some other combination and I'm in. I wouldn't give up the chance to draft Z or Risto this year.

Yeah I'm not sure what I would give up to get Yandle. He's good, but he's no savior. I'd definitely be interested, but I don't know if I would do Couturier + a first + something else. I would trade Couturier in a package and I would trade the first in a package, but I'm not so sure I would do both. That being said, I don't know that Phoenix would accept something less.

member 30781

I think Yandle is overrated (soft minutes dman), but I would do it. What are the odds the 11th overall pick will be as good as Yandle?

Still relatively good. Guys like Ristolainen, Pulock, Morrissey, etc., can be just as good as Yandle.

domestique

Feb 5, 2011
CONUS
Still relatively good. Guys like Ristolainen, Pulock, Morrissey, etc., can be just as good as Yandle.

I think the questioin Homer and Ed will have to ask. Are we a defender away from the cup?

On paper it will probably take our young O-core another 2-4 years until they are all hitting their productive peak (Schenn, Cooter etc.).

So, Do we hope to draft a young D-man and wait for him to grow (Still being young for a D-man in 2-4 years and will probably only have a season or 2 in the NHL) or do we go out and get a D-man that is near peak (i.e. Yandle, Shattenkirk etc.) and compete that guy the next couple years and have their production start to drop off at the very peak of our O-core.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don't think it would take that much. I don't know what it would take, but two first rounders two top young players (Schenn/Couturier = Ricci/Forsberg), three relatively valuable roster players (Hartnell/Grossmann/Rinaldo = Duschene/Huffman/Simon), and a goalie (Mason = Hextall). There is no team that would pay that for Seth Jones. I don't know what the Avs would take, but I would be willing to bet it would be a lot less than that. If a team was seriously interested, I think this and next year's first, along with a young NHL player with a high ceiling (think Schenn or Couturier) and a roster player under contract for a while would get it done.

And in what world is Jones worth 3 1st rounders and a roster player?? Mark my words...he will not be the best D-man drafted this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad