Should the Flyers trade for the 1st overall pick?

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Realistically, no, cause they would have to overpay. We could afford moving a center, though, but is it worth it?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I wonder what it would take in reality to get the #1 pick. I don't know if it would be realistic or not (or if I would even do it or the Avs would even do it), but what about something like this:

TO COL:
Couturier
Mez
1st (2014)
2nd (2014)

TO PHI:
1st (2013)

That seems like a short-term overpayment form a Flyers POV, but I think it could work in the long-run. Flyers draft Jones with the first pick and the BPA with the 11th pick (winding up with someone like Risto, Pulock, Lindholm, Domi, Mantha, etc). You then slate Jones into the lineup next year, and whomever is drafted with the 11th pick probably makes the team in a year or two. While Couturier's replacement next season likely doesn't necessarily "replace" him on the stat sheet, Laughton or a UFA should be able to play well enough to make it worthwhile for the Flyers. It is a ton to give up for one guy though, especially a guy that has never played an NHL game in his career. I typically wouldn't be interested in going after a guy like that and giving up so much for him, but I really think that one of Couturier, Schenn, or Read is going to be dealt because of the impending free agent situation this team will soon face. Might as well get a potential franchise defenseman for one of them.

I can't imagine the Avs trading the #1 pick without getting a first rounder back in this draft though.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
No. The Avs aren't moving that pick unless it's for an abusrd overpayment (think Lindros overpayment). It's not worth it.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
The price would be prohibitive.

2013 1st + Couturier + ?--and I still doubt Colorado bites. They've got Duchene, Stastny, and O'Reilly down the middle, so we're probably the worst trading partner for them in the league.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Colorado already has Duchene, Statsny, and O'Reilly down the middle. I don't see them needing Couturier that much especially when ROR is pretty much a two-way guy who can put up 50 points.

I don't see them wanting Mez either. Why pay $5M for a band-aid? When you don't have to?

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
Mez has 0 trade value until he can prove that he can stay healthy for an extended period of time. I can't see any team taking on his contract with all of his injuries.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Mez has 0 trade value until he can prove that he can stay healthy for an extended period of time. I can't see any team taking on his contract with all of his injuries.

I really have no idea why his name pops up in proposals? I know his deal only has a year left but why would a team want to pay $5M for a guy who will more than likely sit on the LTIR all year long. If he's traded it will more than likely be at the deadline next year if we're out of it, otherwise we're stuck with him until his deal ends up next summer.

member 30781

I really have no idea why his name pops up in proposals? I know his deal only has a year left but why would a team want to pay $5M for a guy who will more than likely sit on the LTIR all year long. If he's traded it will more than likely be at the deadline next year if we're out of it, otherwise we're stuck with him until his deal ends up next summer.

Meszaros has been an ironman for the majority of his career in the NHL. This season wasn't all that productive, but a full extended offseason will do pretty well for his health.

bp spec

Jun 7, 2010
Nah. A higher pick would help, but it's not worth it the way it is right now.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
I wonder what it would take in reality to get the #1 pick. I don't know if it would be realistic or not (or if I would even do it or the Avs would even do it), but what about something like this:

TO COL:
Couturier
Mez
1st (2014)
2nd (2014)

TO PHI:
1st (2013)

That seems like a short-term overpayment form a Flyers POV, but I think it could work in the long-run. Flyers draft Jones with the first pick and the BPA with the 11th pick (winding up with someone like Risto, Pulock, Lindholm, Domi, Mantha, etc). You then slate Jones into the lineup next year, and whomever is drafted with the 11th pick probably makes the team in a year or two. While Couturier's replacement next season likely doesn't necessarily "replace" him on the stat sheet, Laughton or a UFA should be able to play well enough to make it worthwhile for the Flyers. It is a ton to give up for one guy though, especially a guy that has never played an NHL game in his career. I typically wouldn't be interested in going after a guy like that and giving up so much for him, but I really think that one of Couturier, Schenn, or Read is going to be dealt because of the impending free agent situation this team will soon face. Might as well get a potential franchise defenseman for one of them.

I can't imagine the Avs trading the #1 pick without getting a first rounder back in this draft though.

It would take more than that, in fact, a lot more. Probably 11 + Couturier +

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

I wouldn't say zero, but he's not the critical part to such a trade as people are suggesting.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Meszaros has been an ironman for the majority of his career in the NHL. This season wasn't all that productive, but a full extended offseason will do pretty well for his health.

He's been off and on the injury list for the last two years. His health is definitely a concern at this point.

Last edited:

Flyers2point0

Nov 21, 2012
Chicago, IL
No. The packages people are suggesting aren't even close. Colorado is in the same position as us, deep down the middle and needs defense. They have the opportunity to draft a #1 d man, and one who grew up in Denver at that. There's nothing we could offer them that would be worth it for both sides. That would be like us having the #1 pick and trading it to COL for the 11th overall and ROR.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Maybe Couturier + Schenn + Schenn + 11 overall makes them think about it.

Not something we should do.

Yes, because it would be the stupidest trade in NHL history. Jones isn't THAT good people. Not Crosby. Not a generational talent. No guarantees he's even another Pronger.

There was a Dman a while back with this kind of hype. Erik Johnson. What happened to him? Hurt his knee dicking around on a golf cart, then bad concussion. Done.

Forget trading up. We had the chance to dive for 5 and blew it. 11 it is, unless we trade down.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Gotta say, this feels like trolling for page hits.

Colorado isn't going to deal the pick. If they were, there would be many teams lined up to get it, and I doubt the Flyers could match the price.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ

If he is an iron man now, then he must move up to steel.

Haute Couturier

Feb 28, 2007
Philadelphia
No. As much as I like Jones I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for someone who may or may not reach their ceiling. There are no sure things when it comes to drafting defenders. It doesn't make sense for either team to make a deal involving the first pick.

flyersgal

Apr 27, 2013
I wouldn't. I'd rather take the best player available at 11 than gut our offensive depth to trade for the number one pick. Besides, there is no guarantee Seth Jones will develop into the player he's projected to.

RoDu

May 22, 2003
Winnipeg
Visit site
Ironman? Three significant injuries in two years, one of which reinjuring a previous significant injury from several years before

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
This. Like I said earlier, think Lindros trade.

I don't think it would take that much. I don't know what it would take, but two first rounders two top young players (Schenn/Couturier = Ricci/Forsberg), three relatively valuable roster players (Hartnell/Grossmann/Rinaldo = Duschene/Huffman/Simon), and a goalie (Mason = Hextall). There is no team that would pay that for Seth Jones. I don't know what the Avs would take, but I would be willing to bet it would be a lot less than that. If a team was seriously interested, I think this and next year's first, along with a young NHL player with a high ceiling (think Schenn or Couturier) and a roster player under contract for a while would get it done.

member 30781

What about trading up to select a better defenseman? Or do most of you feel there are enough quality defensemen that will be around come the 11th pick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad