Should the Flyers Rebuild?

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
With our current prospect pool and our current young NHLers would it make sense for us to just Rebuild?

We could build around Provorov, Sanheim, Morin, Myers, Ghost, Gudas, Patrick, Konecny, Rubstov, Lindblom, etc and trade Simmonds and giroux

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
No.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 4 characters.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
If it becomes evident that we cant contend with our current core maybe

This makes less than no sense. We already have the best prospect group in the league by a sizable margin. You want to trade our existing talent... so we can add to that pool?

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
This makes less than no sense. We already have the best prospect group in the league by a sizable margin. You want to trade our existing talent... so we can add to that pool?

trade for young NHLers do u comprehend

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
trade for young NHLers do u comprehend

It's incredibly difficult to trade for young players who are already producing in the NHL. You usually have to target them before they hit the league or after disappointing a bit at this level.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
What if Giroux declines earlier than expected?

Good thing we have that Patrick Nolan guy.

You don't seem to get that we DID rebuild. And we did it without having to trade our top talent. Now we get to enjoy the fruits of the rebuild AND maintain the core talent already on the roster. It's what makes Hextall's tenure so impressive.

Why do we need to rebuild again?

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
giphy.gif

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Giroux & Voracek both have big contracts coming off poor seasons. In Giroux's case he has a full NMC as well. So Hextall isn't exactly dealing from a strength there right now.

Even if Hextall wanted to I doubt he would get clearance from the top just to scrap it now. The product has been pretty much unwatchable for five years now. You extend that another year or two & you're likely seeing people start to walk away from buying tickets if they haven't already these past five years.

Last edited:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Saw this pop up on new threads and just had to chime in.

You have hart and sandstrom in your pipeline for goalies. Your forward core is solid, plus Nolan, PLUS promising guys like rubtsov and frost. Sick D prospects in sanheim, ghost, :amazed: Morin, hagg, prov

I'd say even if you don't crack deep playoffs now due to a young team, you're def in it in a couple of years. And I'm a devils fan saying this

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
No. I mean they are doing it while staying competitive.

The D core is halfway on it's way and Konecny started the wave for Lindblom, Patrick and others to crush in to the lineup for forwards next year. The team is building and is actually getting stronger right away. That's because of good drafting and getting rid of bad assets.

Good organizations rebuild and stay competitive during the building. Flyers are doing exactly that. A team like Rangers maybe not so much, they are going to hit a wall at some point because they won't have players like Konecny or even Rubtsov in their system.

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
Back when Holmgren was GM, everyone wanted to keep pushing the envelope hoping that gets us a cup (almost did)

Now that Hextall has been taking the patient approach people have gotten so horny for draft picks at the expense of our very good vets.

We need them to lead this young team, and they are damn good in their own right. Pipeline is set and only getting better. Stay the course it's been a good ride so far.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Lol what??? The Flyers aren't going to stop selling out games for a long time.

If you put a bad product out there for a long time you're going to lose customers. Just because the Flyers haven't gone through a truly rough stretch in their history doesn't mean they're immune to that.

If you tank the team now after the past five years of up & down play with at times some truly unwatchable hockey than yes you'll very likely see a decrease in paid attendance. There's already been a decrease in actual attendance over the years when the team has hit a terrible stretch. Ask the guys on here that have season tickets & sell them how bad it's gotten at points over the five or so years trying to offload tickets without taking a real beating.

It doesn't make you bad a fan when you don't feel like investing in a product not worth investing in. Especially when you can just watch games on tv or whatever.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Some fans have gotten so obsessive about the youth movement that they've begun to lose touch with what the goal is and where it's supposed to end up.

The first phase is over, guys. We have the #1 prospect pool in the league, elite prospects at EVERY position, AND established talent that we didn't have to trade to get there. It's time to start winning games now, and it's not because we should be impatient or hungry for "instant gratification"-- it's because that's the next stage and the purpose of the last five years we spent hoarding prospects. This should be the Hawks in 2008, or the Kings in 2010. We're not supposed to endlessly spin our wheels collecting prospects and picks for eager fans to circle jerk over. The pieces are there to finally start filling up the holes. The team won't become a contender overnight, but it should absolutely be changing its mentality and outlook for next season to expect a competitive product. If that doesn't happen soon, then something will have gone wrong. We have so many prospects, we literally don't even know how to rank them. We're not going to wait for them all before we start expecting success.

I'll give Hextall the benefit of the doubt on the Schenn deal and assume he believes, like most of us do, that we can be competitive without him. But that has to be the mentality next season. That doesn't mean we need to make final-stage moves at this point or trade any picks/prospects either, but the goal needs to be putting a competitive product on the ice, and I think people are too passive about that because they enjoy "the process" so much they've forgotten what the purpose of it is.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They'll have to make decision on Simmonds next summer whether to extend him or trade him if the price tag is too high. I think he's a good enough trade piece though where you could likely leverage a young NHL player with upside as part of a package like when he was traded here. If you take that route.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
They have been rebuilding on the fly the last couple of years and the current draft was like the final stanza of the rebuild. Now it's all about getting competive again.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
They'll have to make decision on Simmonds next summer whether to extend him or trade him if the price tag is too high. I think he's a good enough trade piece though where you could likely leverage a young NHL player with upside as part of a package like when he was traded here. If you take that route.

Yeah, despite my above comment, I would entertain the possibility of a Simmonds trade, but it would need to be a pretty big haul featuring a young and very promising NHL player who can step into the lineup right away at a position of need. The type of player I'd demand in return isn't the type that gets shopped often, though. Otherwise, I'm not trading him for a top prospect and a 1st.

We can make a Simmonds contract fit in our cap structure. We don't need to trade him just for the sake of maximizing his value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad