Should the Devils target Luke Hughes in the draft?

Should NJ target Luke Hughes In the draft?

• Total voters

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
He may very well be the best player available where they pick, and if that's the case then sure.

But if the Devils had #1 and took him over Power I'd be pretty upset.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Watch the games
Mimicking a broken record doesn’t make you right. I’ve seen some games, but here’s the thing if he was a true superstar watching the devils as a neutral fan wouldn’t feel like a chore.

Edmonton, Colorado, Toronto, Tampa, Pittsburgh, and Washington are fun to watch because they have real superstars

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I like Power more as a fit with what NJ already has in the system. But Hughes is a legit top prospect so it’s be easy for NJD to justify reaching a bit for him. Feels like something that would have to come from ownership in a bid to sell tickets and merchandise

Reactions: Raian

Raian

Apr 19, 2021
I like Power more as a fit with what NJ already has in the system. But Hughes is a legit top prospect so it’s be easy for NJD to justify reaching a bit for him. Feels like something that would have to come from ownership in a bid to sell tickets and merchandise
Ill be very excited with Power but I think ownership, as you stated, will certainly have a say in picking Luke.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Jack has 44 career points and his sophomore year is coming to an end shortly. I don't think I'd call that "well on his way to being a superstar"
I’d hardly call this a sophomore year under these circumstances if you are going to bring up total points. Production is hardly the best indication of future success with a player that young.

Also, watch the games.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I’d hardly call this a sophomore year under these circumstances if you are going to bring up total points. Production is hardly the best indication of future success with a player that young.

Also, watch the games.
Ive watched some devils games, but why would I go out of my way to watch the devils when there is only so much time in the day? Hughes isn't someone worth watching over McDavid, Mackinnon, Draisaitl, Matthews, Barkov, Vasilevsky, Stone, or a lot of other players

Crow

May 19, 2014
Ive watched some devils games, but why would I go out of my way to watch the devils when there is only so much time in the day? Hughes isn't someone worth watching over McDavid, Mackinnon, Draisaitl, Matthews, Barkov, Vasilevsky, Stone, or a lot of other players
If you just want to look at a stat sheet, you probably won’t have a very educated opinion on a young player’s future. You won’t be able to tell if he is progressing, driving play, what his skill set is, how he skates, evaluate his vision and play making ability, test his hockey iq, see his shot or stick handling ability, who he is playing with etc. Not everything is quantifiable even with advanced stats. I’ve seen many young players show elite abilities early in their career long before it shows up on the score sheet.

Last edited:

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
If you just want to look at a stat sheet, you probably won’t have a very educated opinion on a young player’s future. You won’t be able to tell if he is progressing, driving play, what his skill set is, how he skates, evaluate his vision and play making ability, test his hockey iq, see his shot, who he is playing with etc. Not everything is quantifiable even with advanced stats. I’ve seen many young players show elite those abilities early in their career long before it shows up on the score sheet.
Yeah but lets be honest here, he is improving but anyone calling him a star player is absolutely lying to themselves. Fans can cry he is good and passes the eye test all they want but black and white statistics can't be as lacking as they are for Hughes.

It extremely annoying to be told to "watch the games". I watch more hockey than 99% of fans and I only have so much free time, why am I suppose to dedicate myself to watching a team that is barely better than Buffalo that I don't particularly care about? Even so Ive watched several NJ games and while Hughes looks better than last year but still is far from a game changer or a star.
You and @WhiskeyYourTheDevils are hypocrites, you don't watch every NHL game so stop talking down like you do.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Yeah but lets be honest here, he is improving but anyone calling him a star player is absolutely lying to themselves. Fans can cry he is good and passes the eye test all they want but black and white statistics can't be as lacking as they are for Hughes.

It extremely annoying to be told to "watch the games". I watch more hockey than 99% of fans and I only have so much free time, why am I suppose to dedicate myself to watching a team that is barely better than Buffalo that I don't particularly care about? Even so Ive watched several NJ games and while Hughes looks better than last year but still is far from a game changer or a star.
You and @WhiskeyYourTheDevils are hypocrites, you don't watch every NHL game so stop talking down like you do.
Im not saying you should watch the games unless you are forming and expressing an opinion about a player’s future based on a stat sheet.

I don’t think he is a star now either, but I think he will be based on what I’ve seen.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

I don't claim to watch every game, but if you're going to have such a strong opinion about a player it helps to watch them more than a few times, which you obviously haven't.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Im not saying you should watch the games unless you are forming and expressing an opinion about a player’s future based on a stat sheet.

I don’t think he is a star now either, but I think he will be based on what I’ve seen.
I watch enough to formulate an opinion. And yes Im not going to deceive, of course some of that is based off just looking at statistics but there is nothing wrong with that, he needs to produce more. Plain and simple.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I don't claim to watch every game, but if you're going to have such a strong opinion about a player it helps to watch them more than a few times, which you obviously haven't.
You have a lot of opinions yourself. Most of them aren't bad, you're a pretty good poster.

I watch enough of Hughes to form an educated opinion. I'm frankly not impressed. There are a lot of players who look like their play is solid but what matters is actual results. Maybe Hughes will get there, and the production will follow the solid play, maybe he won't. But personally I would expect to see more out of a star 1C in their first 2 years, thus my apprehension at making claims he's a future star. I know this is an opinion you don't want to hear, doesn't necessarily make it wrong.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'd be pretty worried that I'm drafting Jared/Marc Staal rather than Eric/Jordan

Same this with the youngest Strome/Subban brother- they are always heralded at the best but that rarely seems to be the case.

Marc was a good player before the injuries.

I voted no, and I don't think Vancouver should select him either. That will just encourage more trade threads to get the brothers all onto one team.

Reactions: Crow

Crow

May 19, 2014
I watch enough to formulate an opinion. And yes Im not going to deceive, of course some of that is based off just looking at statistics but there is nothing wrong with that, he needs to produce more. Plain and simple.
Fair enough. I’ve seen so many young players with skills and play not on par with Jack’s production begin their career slowly and then turn into stars. I expect it to happen again in this case.

Last edited:

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Vancouver better hope the Devils don’t draft Luke. The nightmare of thousands of god awful trade proposals for Quinn will begin in earnest with the classic HFBoards tag line: “We really want Quinn but all are good young players, prospects and draft picks are off limits” Have fun Canucks fans:naughty:

Reactions: ricky0034

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Uh....... what?

Jordan has hit 50 points once. Great defensive player, but never a 1C. At his best, Marc was a top 15 defensemen in the league. Jordan’s prime was longer due to Marc’s eye injury, but Marc’s prime was better. And the post I quoted made it seem like it’s not close. If Marc’s not better, it’s at least close.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Voted no.

And that's not to say they shouldn't pick Hughes. I just think if you are building a team, you need to pick the best player, not the brother of a guy you already have. They should target the guy they feel is the best player.

yeah pretty much

decent chance that player is Hughes anyways depending on where they pick but having Jack shouldn't factor into this at all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad