Should the Devils target Luke Hughes in the draft?

Should NJ target Luke Hughes In the draft?

• Total voters

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
Question is obvious; should NJ draft Luke Hughes in the draft? Whether thats via trading up/down depending on where they place (very likely top-5)

Jack Hughes is beginning to look like the talent he was drafted to be and this would be a big deal for him and the growth of the franchise.

But will NJ have him below Power and/or Clarke? Maybe below Beniers? and is the storyline enough to override that?

What would you do?

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Really depends where they pick so hard to say. But he is probably as good as those other D IMO in terms of long term career upside.

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
Really depends where they pick so hard to say. But he is probably as good as those other D IMO in terms of long term career upside.
Im assuming they 'target' him, so if were 1 and hes best at 3 we trade down or take him 1; if were 5 and hes 3 we trade up

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Didn't realise there was another Hughes but it would be cool to have 2 on the same team

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I'd be pretty worried that I'm drafting Jared/Marc Staal rather than Eric/Jordan

Same this with the youngest Strome/Subban brother- they are always heralded at the best but that rarely seems to be the case.

Reactions: Anichels

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
I'd be pretty worried that I'm drafting Jared/Marc Staal rather than Eric/Jordan

Same this with the youngest Strome/Subban brother- they are always heralded at the best but that rarely seems to be the case.
Luke has been ranked a top-10 prospect for this draft for two years now

this is nowhere near that situation

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Voted no.

And that's not to say they shouldn't pick Hughes. I just think if you are building a team, you need to pick the best player, not the brother of a guy you already have. They should target the guy they feel is the best player.

Reactions: ricky0034 and Xirik

ASAP Surg

Nov 26, 2009
Vancouver
The Reinhart brothers went 2nd and 4th overall and I don't think anyone would consider those picks homeruns

Yes but going back to your original post, Jared Staal and Jordan Subban were never as highly touted as their older brothers, and their draft positions ultimately reflected that.

Could Luke being a Hughes be giving him a rankings bump? Maybe? Not sure. Even if there was a bump, it’d never be so substantial that it would bump a mid-round talent to a lottery-pick level.

Max Reinhart was the first-drafted Reinhart too and he clearly wasn’t pulling up the two younger Reinharts draft-ranking wise. Sam’s the youngest one too and clearly the best of the three.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
For me, a draft where you take Power, Hughes or Clarke is a massive win.

Would love to add another high end D to Smith.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
They should choose the best player available. If that's Hughes then great.

It's this.

You take the BPA. You don't take Hughes over a guy you think is better because he's the brother of a player on your team. But if you think Hughes is the BPA, take him.

What I might worry about is that the decision makers are going to have Luke ranked higher on their list due to that his brother plays for their team.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I wouldn't target him to the point of trading up to get him.

If he's available with their pick it'll be interesting if him being Jack's brother sways NJ's decision. Would have to think it has some impact, but do they take him over another player they have ranked slightly higher?

Might be best for NJ if he's already off the board by the time they pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad