Speculation: Should the Caps trade for Roberto Luongo?

BobbyCarpenter

Jan 22, 2008
Houston, TX
Absolutely not. That contract is just awful.

Knowing Ted's financial line from the lockout, cannot see him okaying another lengthy contract.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Yup. Nobody is going to want a 43 year-old Luongo with a $5M+ cap hit.

They'll likely have to trade something of significant value along with him, or take back a bad contract.

One alternative under the new CBA would be Vancouver being willing to keep salary in the trade....under that scenario if they would be willing to keep +20% of his salary.

The contract wouldn't look nearly as bad - it would still be too long, but the cap hit would be good value (4.3M).

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
I'm guessing some canuck fans came to vote yes here, from what I see there is not many caps fans liking bobby lu so far.

MiKE5889

May 7, 2012
I'm very divided on wanting Loungo here or not.

I personally don't like his contract, and would prefer more cap flexibility going forward.

However that is not to say that I don't prefer the idea of a veteran mentoring one of our young goaltenders longterm. I think either Holtby or Neuvirth would excel far more with a veteran keeper behind them to step in when needed. In Luo's case a very expensive veteran.

What becomes quite interesting though is that if we play with the thought that Schultz goes to Vancouver in any deal for Lou, regardless of what other pieces that may follow, we would still only have added roughly 2-2,5 million worth of cap hit, with Jeff's contract out the window. That actually leaves some room for thought.

Of course the real concern is what pieces Vancouver would demand for Lou. While Lou has been good and certainly seen his value increase, Vancouver are in a bit of a problem with the cap, which to some extent limits their options. Prospects and picks would most likely be the main pieces in any trade for Lou.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
I stupidly voted before checking the results. Can someone who hasn't voted yet check how many of the yes votes are actually from Caps fans? I'm thinking not many.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I voted yes, but I realize the contract is probably too painful to absorb unless we're shedding some $$ elsewhere.

Even if he's as durable and his skills don't decline (like a Brodeur), he could play to 40, but that contract takes him to 43 if my math is right. That's 3 bogus years....

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
I stupidly voted before checking the results. Can someone who hasn't voted yet check how many of the yes votes are actually from Caps fans? I'm thinking not many.
I made nicknames of those who vote not available for piblic. Just because some may have felt embarassment to vote for yes. But I probably should've not done that.

Bethesda

Feb 1, 2013
Whoa. I went and read the Vancouver board for fun and legitimately half of them are/were talking deals like Forsberg and our #1 for Luongo.

Crazy Canadians.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Whoa. I went and read the Vancouver board for fun and legitimately half of them are/were talking deals like Forsberg and our #1 for Luongo.

Crazy Canadians.

If they agree to keep $20 mil of his salary maybe....otherwise they're dreaming.

sldyer1

Nov 6, 2008
Worst idea ever... Like we need another long term contract.. He'd be 43 right?

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Crazy Canadians.

It's debatable when it comes to these boards as to which fan base, Toronto or Vancouver is the worst at overvaluing their team's assets and undervaluing other team's assets.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If George said he isn't talking to VAN / doesn't want Lu, I will go opposite.

Especially if our goalies remain consistently inconsistent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad