Speculation: Should the Caps trade for Roberto Luongo?

sunnydaycrash

Feb 24, 2004
Vancouver
I say no unless it just costs Schultz and Johansson...then maybe. If it costs this year's first and McPhee does it. I can't even.

I think that's what it would be....Canucks fans calling Forsberg, Green, etc are dreaming unless McPhee senses the noose getting tighter.

I can see a combination of Mojo, Kundratek, Schultz, Neuvirth and pick.
Can't see McPhee trading any blue chip prospects, Laich, or Green.

Halpysback*

Honestly I'm not sure the team McPhee gets by retooling would be better than the team McPhee gets trading for Luongo. The guy just refuses to put a good complete team together.

If I had confidence in a retool then hell no, as it stands slight no.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
It all depends on if you're pushing to make a run for the cup within the next 2-3 seasons.

Bobby Lu is on fire right now, meaning his stock is through the roof right now and nobody will want to pay what he's worth right now.

But like I said, if you wanna make a deep run soon, he's the guy you need.

EDIT: Plus, Kuznetsov would look nice in a Canucks jersey, slap #10 on him and we have the second coming of Bure! ;)

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Wouldn't want the contract. Would never give up what Gillis seems to be asking for.

But you know what? I don't care all that much either way. A trade of that type would be interesting... and I can live with interesting, if "good" is no longer an option.

:help:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
if bobby lu's stock is thru the roof, then you keep him in canuckville. schneider's numbers are not better and in many ways not as good as neuvirth's right now. i am satisfied that the caps young goalies will get the work done.

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
No No No No. Do not want. Especially not with any of the following heading the other way:

Kuznetsov
Forberg
2013 1st

If Vancouver is looking for spare parts, sure I'm listening. But unless Bobby Lu is going to magically get Carlson back to form and solve the problems of being a top-4 LD short and a real top-6 winger short, then I'm not sure giving up anything of value is a good idea this season.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Maybe for spare parts...

Canucks can talk all they want about Luongo's value, but they ignore a couple of very key points in every conversation:

1) His contract is really BAD and will carry cap penalties when he retires under the new CBA

2) They only have ~3.9M dollars left under next years cap with 14 players under contract, so they absolutely have to get rid of Luongo or Schneider

You can't assume you are going to get a solid deal when other teams know that you have to make a move. They might be able to trade him as a deadline deal and get something solid in return, but that would be a risky proposition, because after that every team would know that they are desperate to part ways because of next years cap....

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Maybe for spare parts...

Canucks can talk all they want about Luongo's value, but they ignore a couple of very key points in every conversation:

1) His contract is really BAD and will carry cap penalties when he retires under the new CBA

2) They only have ~3.9M dollars left under next years cap with 14 players under contract, so they absolutely have to get rid of Luongo or Schneider

You can't assume you are going to get a solid deal when other teams know that you have to make a move. They might be able to trade him as a deadline deal and get something solid in return, but that would be a risky proposition, because after that every team would know that they are desperate to part ways because of next years cap....
Yup. Nobody is going to want a 43 year-old Luongo with a $5M+ cap hit.

They'll likely have to trade something of significant value along with him, or take back a bad contract.

Liberati0n*

It all depends on if you're pushing to make a run for the cup within the next 2-3 seasons.

Bobby Lu is on fire right now, meaning his stock is through the roof right now and nobody will want to pay what he's worth right now.

But like I said, if you wanna make a deep run soon, he's the guy you need.

EDIT: Plus, Kuznetsov would look nice in a Canucks jersey, slap #10 on him and we have the second coming of Bure! ;)

Right now Kuznetsov's still in Russia right now though and right now we're not sure if he's going to want to come over because right now his focus is on the Olympics and the KHL right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad