Should the Caps trade Brouwer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Somebody please explain, was this thread bumped to compare Wilson to that locker room cancer troy whatever? If so i strongly disagree with the comparison.
Naw, it was randomly bumped, then the natural comparisons were made given the similarities in the situation (29 year old wingers with one year remaining on their contract, both known for putting up 20ish goals and a bunch of hits).

Reactions: crazy8888

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
This is why you’re trolling. Brouwer was traded for a more talented and as physical forward who out produced him by ~20 points in prior seasons and would become a 30 goal scorer, and the Caps paid a B Goalie prospect and sweetener pick.

This idea you have that Wilson will pull a better player with no payment is the same shit you were complaining about when you said other posters want it both ways

I don't agree with your take here. Oshie was traded for Brouwer because StL management figured it was time to shake up their core, and they valued a guy like Brouwer as the centerpiece of that deal. In essence, they had an asset they were willing to move on from in Oshie, and even with a couple secondary assets as sweeteners, Oshie was still an over payment for Brouwer in the deal. Brouwer doesn't deserve to be in the same conversation as Oshie, certainly not with the difference being Phoenix Copley and a mediocre pick. But StL's management saw 20 goals and a bunch of hits, and like many NHL GMs, they salivated at the thought of a power forward.

Twabby and others think there are teams who are similarly going to overvalue Wilson. I've also mentioned Tanner Jeanot multiple times recently, as a very recent example. Whether or not we have to add a bit of sweetener to Wilson or not will depend on the target and the trade negotiations, but it isn't really the point. There are potentially guys who contribute at a level beyond Wilson that could be available for Wilson. Some of which are also younger. It's not just Marner and Nylander. PLD and Alex DeBrincat both want out of their teams. Winnipeg is likely moving one or more other core pieces beyond PLD. While most would prefer a forward in return, the Blues look like they might move one of their D.

And while you have your objections to Byfield or other futures-oriented trades, remember that the Capitals could always flip draft picks or prospects for immediate help. They already showed a willingness to do this with the 1st rounder from the Orlov trade, turning it into Sandin.

Reactions: twabby

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I was so confused by the thread title this morning… I thought I had woken up in 2015 lol.

As for the Wilson parallel, I think it’s valid (even though Wilson is 10 times better as a player than Brouwer ever was).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad