Should the Avs play Makar this year?

Should the Avs play Makar this season

• Total voters

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
Seems like this has been discussed in a number of different threads, so I figured we should find out where everyone stands. As we all know by now, if Makar plays this year, he will NOT be exempt from the Seattle expansion draft, possibly exposing a valuable player (Zadorov?). Obviously Makar would help this team at the end of the year, so is it worth it?

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I'll just copy my opinion from the weekly thread:

I think Joe will offer him an ELC and burn a year. Look around the league, Makar is a way better prospect some of some of these kids who are getting that very same deal. Not the greatest way to start a relationship with your hopeful top defenseman by asking him to unjustfully miss out on what others are getting because 'omg we're going to lose a decent player in 2+ years'. Doesn't really send a good message IMO. Plus Sakic has shown he's not afraid to make the practical move over the smart move if it makes sense for the player.

Last edited:

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
No. Maybe play him with the Eagles if this is possible. We are not ready to go for the cuo, with or without him. Not having to protect him in 2 years will benefit us in the long run.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
West is absolutely wide open this year. Our goaltending is getting hot, depth is scoring, and top line rested and getting healthy. Sign the kid if given the chance.

Anyone saying no didn't see Quinn Hughes play last night these kids are ready to play and make an impact now

Sakics Snowblower

Aug 16, 2011
Saint John, NB
If he wants to play, then Yes for all the reasons stated above. Sometimes you aren't just an asset manager as a GM and now is one of those times where you have to say screw it and go with the heart.

Reactions: Ararana

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
Absolutely

You don't treat the organisations best ever D prospect like crap and force him to go to the AHL, even if he is NHL ready, just because of the expansion draft.

The best case scenario is probably UMass making it to the Frozen Four, so Joe has more information about where the Avs are when Cale becomes available. If UMass makes the Frozen Four, the Avs season will be over by then, and the decision simply becomes "do you play him in the playoffs?" If the Avs miss the playoffs, obviously that doesn't matter.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
No. 5 games of Makar is not worth burning one year of his contract. He needs time to settle, then join. This would be extremely tough time to join the team and make an impact.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
West is absolutely wide open this year. Our goaltending is getting hot, depth is scoring, and top line rested and getting healthy. Sign the kid if given the chance.

Anyone saying no didn't see Quinn Hughes play last night these kids are ready to play and make an impact now
There is a difference between playing meaningless regular season games against LA or a grinding Playoff series against one of the top teams in the league. Not everyone can handle such a fight right out of the gate.

Tru

May 21, 2015
Colorado
I think you've got to take the current team's mentality into account here, too. They know they've got a shot against anyone in the west over a 7 game series.

If the Avs make the playoffs, and you believe that adding Makar (regardless of his individual impact right away) can possibly give the team that little extra boost of confidence they need to battle through a playoff series and learn how to actually win in the playoffs, that to me is worth more than protecting an extra player in the expansion draft.

I mean, there's not doubt that this team is paying attention to what Makar is doing, and they know they've got a dynamic player that could be added to the roster. Then, you sign him and play him.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Also dont forget we are auditioning for the 2019 UFA class right now. Winning a playoff round could be the difference between signing a difference maker this summer and signing Matt calvert
Every free agent knows that the Avs are already a good team and will only get better with Makar/Top4 pick. There is no need to flex our muscles right now. Besides we are in for the long run. Otherwise we would be Columbus.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I think it would be unwise especially considering how important every single game from now on is. I can't say I wouldn't be extremely excited to watch him earlier than expected, though.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
The best case scenario is probably UMass making it to the Frozen Four, so Joe has more information about where the Avs are when Cale becomes available. If UMass makes the Frozen Four, the Avs season will be over by then, and the decision simply becomes "do you play him in the playoffs?" If the Avs miss the playoffs, obviously that doesn't matter.

Yep. Hopefully UMass makes it far so none of this matters.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Doesn’t matter to me. He’s NHL ready and if they believe he can come in and make an impact than bring him in. If not no biggie.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It seems to me that perhaps it is wise not to burn the year, but based on common practices these days, the Avs likely will burn the year. So ultimately it turns out to be a waste of time and energy to argue against it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Burning a year just isn't smart IMO. I get wanting to see the kid and the desire to showcase him, but you get a free protection spot by just being ever so slightly patient. Why not ensure that? Not only would it allow too keep 3 current defensemen around, but if the situation where one was gone... an ED eligible could be brought in while others are more in a squeeze. It simply allows future roster flexibility and it is incredibly easy to do.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It's a NO from me for all the reasons already stated above by other posters. But I'll add this to it. Will Bednar even play him enough to be worth it? Will he trust him enough to play him over the more experienced dmen IN THE PLAYOFFS? I doubt it.

With that being said I understand the business side of these things and the Avs might not have a say in the matter. If it is going to upset Makar then yes sign him because I don't want that relationship to go south. He is too important to our future.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad