Should Refs hold post game interviews?

Should Refs hold post game interviews?

• Total voters

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I voted yes, but it would be an effort of reporters calling the refs out and the refs denying they saw the uncalled penalty.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
YES!

Especially in the playoffs. I'd like outcome of the game be decided by the players on ice NOT the refs

Puts more pressure on them to directly face questions and not F up in the games.

ACCOUNTABILITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Trade

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The league holds everyone accountable except the refs, so I vote yes. Players and coaches have to answer to the media, or even apologize after their f*** ups. Refs are openly manipulating games and now there's 100% concrete indisputable evidence of it. To keep the integrity of the game, they should have to answer. Maybe not interview but there needs to be some accountability. I've always wanted refs to be fined/suspended for BS officiating, missing blatant calls or calling phantom penalties. If the league won't do that, let them face the media.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Refs would give even more cookie-cutter boring answers than the players do.

"something something fast paced game something something doing our best something something tough angle something something that's hockey"

Reactions: banks

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Possibly unpopular opinion - HELL NO!

I get that people are upset about the "integrity" of the game, but they aren't gonna give you hot sound bites.

You think the players are robotic? lmfao! What do you think the ref is going to do? It'll just be a Zebra version of Marshawn Lynch.

Instead of:
giphy.gif

Its:
"I dont remember that play. I dont remember that play.

A ref just got put on suspension for talking about game managing, there's a 0% chance the NHL willingly let's these guys get on air every post game. Also... I thought the point was to keep the refs from being part of the game? How exactly does making them famous accomplish this??

A better way to achieve ref accountability - retire Tors from coaching. Pay him $8m a year to watch games for reffing inconsistencies. Then if he sees things he's doesn't like, turn him loose in the tunnel on the refs.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
No, because having to answer to the media, especially biased local media, might impact their reffing even more.

I think a neutral third party who isn't connected to the reffing union should review games on a consistent basis, and look at the actual penalties called and potential penalties missed. Ignore all other factors, such as score in the game, what time of the game it is, whether it's regular season or playoffs, which team has the most penalties, etc, and strictly judge the calls and missed calls objectively based on the criteria for what is or isn't a penalty.

Refs whose results deviate too much from the correct calling, should be forced to go through a review to have the issues explained to them. If they continue to be too far off, then they should be removed as NHL refs.

Reactions: Peat

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I can't believe that "YES" is winning.

Does this happen in any other sport in any capacity?

I would love to critically assess everyone's work activity on national television with the benefit of super slow-motion replay and hindsight.

"So I noticed here that you typed the wrong word. Was that deliberate? And when you dropped the pen cap on the ground, why would you say you did that?"

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
hahah this would be a PR nightmare.

Would it be entertaining? Absolutely.
Should the NHL allow this? Absolutely f***ing not.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Much like what fans say of media being softball with questions and not pressing the questions... I again do not see the point.

People say it puts pressure and accountability on them. But how? I do not see how fans think that. Like when a coach is pressed or not on bad decisions, it does not have a major affect.

I don't know how accountability is actually addressed or changed in the press conference manner. There could be more uniform and ref union statements that would help I believe.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I remember Joe Rogan interviewing Mario Yamasaki after a controversial decision in a UFC event. Don't know if it happens regularly anywhere though.

I've seen it happen VERY occasionally in soccer when either

- There's been an incredibly controversial incident, I'm thinking Leeds - Aston Villa, or Arsenal-Sheffield United level of controversy

- There's been a contentious decision because the players/manager/media don't know the frickin rules so the ref has to come out afterwards and explain it like a jaded schoolteacher. And the media being the media, rather than go "oh, sorry, we were wrong" will lose their damn minds for the next week and blame the ref for applying the laws of the game.

- The game has had to be called off for some reason.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The whole point of player interviews is to generate revenue..no one knows or cares who the refs are
I mean... any NHL ref's post game interview would be infinitely more interesting than 99% of player interviews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad