Should players be able to distract goalies ala Sean Avery?

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
I've been a fan of Avery's techniques from the beginning. As for the Brown thing, I'm sure he didn't mean any harm by that. It was probably just some light teasing. Boys will be boys. It's not his fault the league has become soft.

Now, Please answer the question instead of bashing your fellow HFers.
“Boys will be boys”. Did you type that with a straight face or do you make fun of people with lisps too? Light teasing? He was LITERALLY thrown off the team it was such a big deal. And then he got thrown off 2 more teams!

If you don’t want to be bashed don’t make stupid comments or threads glorifying a pest who wasn’t even as good as Matt Barnaby.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
“Boys will be boys”. Did you type that with a straight face or do you make fun of people with lisps too? Light teasing? He was LITERALLY thrown off the team it was such a big deal. And then he got thrown off 2 more teams!

If you don’t want to be bashed don’t make stupid comments or threads glorifying a pest who wasn’t even as good as Matt Barnaby.

Are you going to answer the question or nah? Because it appears you're just here to bash Avery and make him look like a villain out of some personal grudge you obviously have with him, which is not what this thread is about.

Its a Trap

Are you going to answer the question or nah? Because it appears you're just here to bash Avery and make him look like a villain out of some personal grudge you obviously have with him, which is not what this thread is about.
As opposed to your question that’s hidden among the Avery love affair you seem to be suffering from because let’s not act like you haven’t spent the entire thread praising him like I have in my three posts pointing out what a shitty player he was. There’s no need to answer your “question” it was answered years ago, 10 to be exact. Why are you acting like unsportsmanlike conduct isn’t a penalty in hockey? it’s been called on other players and (this might be shocking to you) it’s never happened since. Why? Because why the hell on a MAN ADVANTAGE are you going to have one of your players screen the goalie by LOOKING AT HIM instead of the puck. Really. It’s a pretty absurd question to be frank and it shouldn’t even require the rule because: why the hell are you taking away from your own advantage?? If he’s not facing the play, how is he supposed to deflect a shot or get out of the way or even protect himself from a puck to the neck or back of the skull.

But now that you said it, i am indeed also here to bash Avery especially since you seem to like him so much for some reason.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
As opposed to your question that’s hidden among the Avery love affair you seem to be suffering from because let’s not act like you haven’t spent the entire thread praising him like I have in my three posts pointing out what a ****ty player he was. There’s no need to answer your “question” it was answered years ago, 10 to be exact. Why are you acting like unsportsmanlike conduct isn’t a penalty in hockey? it’s been called on other players and (this might be shocking to you) it’s never happened since. Why? Because why the hell on a MAN ADVANTAGE are you going to have one of your players screen the goalie by LOOKING AT HIM instead of the puck. Really. It’s a pretty absurd question to be frank and it shouldn’t even require the rule because: why the hell are you taking away from your own advantage?? If he’s not facing the play, how is he supposed to deflect a shot or get out of the way or even protect himself from a puck to the neck or back of the skull.

But now that you said it, i am indeed also here to bash Avery especially since you seem to like him so much for some reason.

In order to get in the goalie's head and distract him in the hopes of throwing him off his game and getting a goal. It's not really a difficult concept [mod].

Last edited by a moderator:

Steal Your Faceoff

Jan 14, 2016
NJ
You seem to have a big ol Italian beef with my opinion and that's just okay. Let me see if I can sway your opinion some.

Avery was an innovator because (as far as I know) no one else had attempted to distract an opposing goalie with the unique techniques that Avery employed. Not only was it a stroke of genius on his part, but the tactic worked against one of the great goalies in the league. His techniques and clutch scoring were a big reason why the Rangers made quick work of the Devils that season. It's unfortunate the league decided to make this illegal. Since the Rangers made the rather unfortunate decision to cut ties with him (twice) they have not won a Stanley Cup Championship.

I don't view Avery as an egotistical maniac. I view Avery as a real man who was willing to risk serious injury or even death by putting his back to the play in a successful attempt to get in a goalies head and distract him, in order to lead his team to victory. I think the Rangers would have probably drunk from Lord Stanley's cup had they not made the foolish, heartbreaking decision to do away with him.
Nobody but you thinks someone who tries something which is quickly deemed illegal to be an innovator. Nobody is upset it's not allowed but you. And the ruling didn't come about because of league bias against him or favoritism to Brodeur which you claim. This is after all the same league which made the trapezoid rule in direct response to Brodeur's stick handling skill. You can mistakenly believe playing peek a boo with the goalie was brilliant and successful all you want. Nobody scored when he was doing it so you can't say it did anything. Like I said earlier, the rangers already were up in the series without Avery doing it and won it in the games afterwords. Once again, the game he did it was the only one they lost. Sure he scored goals in the series that helped them win it. But he scored them by playing hockey, not acting like a damn fool. What a concept!

And the rangers lost the next series with Avery so you blaming the rangers cutting ties with him for their not winning another cup is another joke. He doesn't have his name on the cup with any team. You can praise him all you want, it's not going to change that his claim to fame was for being controversial, not because he was such a great player. More skilled players were always going to be in the spotlight compared to a guy who never scored 40 points so that's why he perfected his class clown routine to get more attention.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
Nobody but you thinks someone who tries something which is quickly deemed illegal to be an innovator. Nobody is upset it's not allowed but you. And the ruling didn't come about because of league bias against him or favoritism to Brodeur which you claim. This is after all the same league which made the trapezoid rule in direct response to Brodeur's stick handling skill. You can mistakenly believe playing peek a boo with the goalie was brilliant and successful all you want. Nobody scored when he was doing it so you can't say it did anything. Like I said earlier, the rangers already were up in the series without Avery doing it and won it in the games afterwords. Once again, the game he did it was the only one they lost. Sure he scored goals in the series that helped them win it. But he scored them by playing hockey, not acting like a damn fool. What a concept!

And the rangers lost the next series with Avery so you blaming the rangers cutting ties with him for their not winning another cup is another joke. He doesn't have his name on the cup with any team. You can praise him all you want, it's not going to change that his claim to fame was for being controversial, not because he was such a great player. More skilled players were always going to be in the spotlight compared to a guy who never scored 40 points so that's why he perfected his class clown routine to get more attention.

Not true. Rangers scored shortly after because Avery was able to get into Fatso's head.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I've been a fan of Avery's techniques from the beginning. As for the Brown thing, I'm sure he didn't mean any harm by that. It was probably just some light teasing. Boys will be boys. It's not his fault the league has become soft.

Now, Please answer the question instead of bashing your fellow HFers.

Why are you sure?

Sean Avery used to mock Dustin Brown about his lisp and wife

"When I was trying to move him [in 2007], only two teams were interested, the Rangers and one other," Lombardi recalls, even though Avery, playing his edgy style, had 67 points in his final season and a half with Los Angeles. "There wasn't even what I would call marginal interest, a 'we'll get back to you.' Will he get another opportunity? It's human nature to give a second chance, but [he's got] four years at a big number. [Dolphins running back] Ricky Williams has had many chances. The difference is, he goes for a tryout, makes the team, signs, but the contract isn't guaranteed."

The Trouble with Sean Avery

It translates lines from a Finnish book about how a trainer put Avery in a chokehold.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
Why are you sure?

Sean Avery used to mock Dustin Brown about his lisp and wife

The Trouble with Sean Avery

It translates lines from a Finnish book about how a trainer put Avery in a chokehold.

He disputes that the teasing bothered him—”I have a thick skin, and that was just Aves being Aves,” Brown says

See even Brown knows he was just kidding. I don't know why everyone is so sensitive these days. A little teasing is good for you. Toughens you up, makes you a real man. Hell look at what Brown had gone onto achieve in his career.

CC: @Its a Trap

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I view Avery as a real man

Boys will be boys.

A little teasing is good for you. Toughens you up, makes you a real man.

I think these quotes sum up the worth of this carnival. Pop in, have some popcorn, but what ever you do, don't play the games. They're all rigged.

jiFfM.jpg

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
"An unsportsmanlike conduct minor penalty will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the goaltender's face, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and/or distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try to make a play,"

This was the amendment the next day made by the NHL.

Which is what it should be. Avery was an assclown most of his career and could have been a much better player with a longer career had he focused more on playing hockey and getting better at it, instead of being a distraction on the ice.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Isn't there enough crap happening in front of a goalies eyes? (Distractions and big bodies blocking the goalies view) Doesn't make any sense to be allowed to do such a thing.

Steal Your Faceoff

Jan 14, 2016
NJ
I’m surprised this guy hasn’t told us yet what a brilliant innovator Brad Marchand was for licking other players to get them off their game and how it should be allowed.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
I’m surprised this guy hasn’t told us yet what a brilliant innovator Brad Marchand was for licking other players to get them off their game and how it should be allowed.

Why would I say that? What Marchand did was peverted, what Avery did was genius. Keep in mind, in the real world licking someone without consent is a crime. Waving a stick in front of their face is not.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
See even Brown knows he was just kidding. I don't know why everyone is so sensitive these days. A little teasing is good for you. Toughens you up, makes you a real man. Hell look at what Brown had gone onto achieve in his career.

If Brown said he had an issue with it, you would say he's part of the problem of the league being soft.

Teams were not interested in him. Most of his teammates did not like him.

Steal Your Faceoff

Jan 14, 2016
NJ
What was even funnier, it was Avery himself who scored on Fatso. It was epic for sure. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Let's see what "Fatso" as you like to call him has done in his career.

1994: Calder Trophy as Rookie of the Year
1994: NHL Rookie All-Star Team
2003, 2004 and 2007: Three times NHL All-Star Team
1997, 1998, 2006 and 2008: Four times NHL Second All-Star Team
1995, 2000 and 2003: Three times Stanley Cup winner
2002, 2010 : Won the Olympic Games Gold Medal
1996: Won the Silver Medal at the World Cup; 2004: Won the Gold Medal.
1996: Won the Silver Medal at the World Hockey Championship: 2005: Won the Silver Medal World Hockey Championship
1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007 and 2008: Nine times participated in the NHL All-Star Game
1997, 1998,2003,2004 and 2010 : Awarded the Williams M. Jennings Trophy as the goalkeeper with the least number of goals scored against during the regular season
2003, 2004, 2007 and 2008: Has won the Vezina Trophy as the best goalkeeper in the NHL

Most Minutes Played in a Single Season - 4,697 - 2006-07
Most Wins in a Single Season- 48 - 2006-07
Most Consecutive 30 Win Seasons - 12 - 1995-96 through 2007-08
Most Consecutive 35-win seasons (11)
Most 40 Win Seasons - 8 - (1997-98, 1999-00, 2000-01, 2002-03, 2005-06, 2006-07, 2007-08, 2009-10)
Most Consecutive 40 Win Seasons - 3 - 2005-06 through 2007-08
Most All-Time OT Wins - 52
Most All-Time Shootout Wins - 26
Most Shootout Shots Against in a Single Seasons - 60 - 2006-07
Most All-Time Shootout Shots Against - 141
Most Consecutive Post-Season Starts - 158
Best Post-Season Goals-Against Average All-Time - 1.96
Most Shutouts in a Post-Season Series - 3 (tie), 2003 Stanley Cup Finals vs. Anaheim
Most Shutouts in a Post Season (7, in 2002-03)
Most Shutouts, Regular Season + Postseason - 149
Only NHL goaltender to score a game-winning goal
One of only two NHL goalies to score a goal in both the regular season and the playoffs
First goaltender in history to have 3 shutouts in 2 different playoff series. (1995 against Boston Bruins, 2003 against Anaheim Ducks )
Most consecutive opening night starts with one team (17)
Most Regular Season Wins All Time - 691
Most Regular Season Shutouts - 125
Most Games Played All Time by a Goaltender - 1,266
Most 30 Win Seasons - 13
Most Minutes All Time - 74,438
Most Post-Season Shutouts - 24
Most Career Regular Season Goals by a Goaltender - 2
Most Career Goals (Including Playoffs) by a Goaltender - 3
Most Career Saves - 28,508

Looks like Fatso gets the last laugh as Avery was nothing more than a bad joke.

Reactions: Gnashville

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Probably never going to happen as it was more a safety concern for a player. A year later Langkow on a completely innocent play was hit in the back of the neck with a back that ruined his life for quite some time. No way the NHL reverses a rule and puts a player in danger like that, especially when they themselves brought it up as a safety issue at the time. Then add the Langkow incident and the league would just be screwed if anyone ever was hit with a puck again in the back of the head or neck.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012

1996: Won the Silver Medal at the World Hockey Championship: 2005: Won the Silver Medal World Hockey Championship
1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007 and 2008: Nine times participated in the NHL All-Star Game
1997, 1998,2003,2004 and 2010 : Awarded the Williams M. Jennings Trophy as the goalkeeper with the least number of goals scored against during the regular season
2003, 2004, 2007 and 2008: Has won the Vezina Trophy as the best goalkeeper in the NHL

Most 40 Win Seasons - 8 - (1997-98, 1999-00, 2000-01, 2002-03, 2005-06, 2006-07, 2007-08, 2009-10)
Most Shutouts in a Post-Season Series - 3 (tie), 2003 Stanley Cup Finals vs. Anaheim
One of only two NHL goalies to score a goal in both the regular season and the playoffs
First goaltender in history to have 3 shutouts in 2 different playoff series. (1995 against Boston Bruins, 2003 against Anaheim Ducks )
Most 30 Win Seasons - 13

Who cares about Fatso's accomplishments in this thread. It changes nothing to the fact he was clearly off his game when playing against Avery. And for a goalie as accomplished as Fatso, it was even funnier to see Avery got in his head to the point of not even wanting to shake his hand after the series. Looks like Avery gets the last laugh finally.

Its a Trap

If Brown said he had an issue with it, you would say he's part of the problem of the league being soft.

Teams were not interested in him. Most of his teammates did not like him.

You’re really bad at this. Someone taze this guy and shut him up already.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018

Most 30 Win Seasons - 13

Take your Fatso love affair elsewhere please. That had little or nothing to do with the thread topic.

Thanks

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I view Avery as a real man who was willing to risk serious injury or even death by putting his back to the play in a successful attempt to get in a goalies head and distract him, in order to lead his team to victory. I think the Rangers would have probably drunk from Lord Stanley's cup had they not made the foolish, heartbreaking decision to do away with him.

giphy.webp

Steal Your Faceoff

Jan 14, 2016
NJ
Take your Fatso love affair elsewhere please. That had little or nothing to do with the thread topic.

Thanks
Yeah what was I thinking? It's not like you were taking shots at Broduer while singing the praises of your hero. Oh wait, that's exactly what you did. Since you decide to even try to talk like Avery when posting it's pretty clear why you admire him so much. You both spew a lot of nonsensical garbage to try and get attention. It's obvious why anyone can appreciate the accomplishments of a storied player like Brodeur. On the other hand, I don't know how you can expect for anyone to take you seriously when you idolize a headcase like Avery to the point of delusional obsession.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
Yeah what was I thinking? It's not like you were taking shots at Broduer while singing the praises of your hero. Oh wait, that's exactly what you did. Since you decide to even try to talk like Avery when posting it's pretty clear why you admire him so much. You both spew a lot of nonsensical garbage to try and get attention. It's obvious why anyone can appreciate the accomplishments of a storied player like Brodeur. On the other hand, I don't know how you can expect for anyone to take you seriously when you idolize a headcase like Avery to the point of delusional obsession.

I brought up Fatso sparingly as the thread necessitated. You on the other hand proceeded to use my thread for you to bow down and praise Fatso with stats and "awards" that have literally nothing to do with the conversation.

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
I have no problem with it, as long as they take away the instigator rule or allowed back mugging on anyone standing in front of the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad