Should play continue when the puck goes in the netting?

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
The Glass is there to keep the puck in play

The netting is there so that when the puck goes over the glass and out of play no one gets hurt.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Yes. This is no reason to stop play .... Someone mentioned the fans throwing it back, but there was a time when the players would go into stands to get the puck .......

149046-0-600.jpg

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
And then what happens when someone clears the puck on a PK and it goes over the glass and kills someone? The reason the net is in place is to protect the fans, it wasn't even there until a few years back.

I can however see them raising the glass another few feet behind the net, that I would be in favor of.

darglor

Feb 17, 2012
The netting pretty much guarantees that the puck stops dead when it hits it and then the puck takes a second or two to fall, which gives the forecheckers more time to get to it before the defenders can clear it. Teams would purposely start lobbing dump-ins to the netting instead of to the cross-corner in order to have a higher success rate of keeping the puck in the enemy zone.

Defensemen would be caught waiting, almost like the punt receiver in football, except they don't get to call fair catch so they'd be getting smoked every play.

Overall, you'd see a lot more pucks go to the netting, more injuries to defensemen and likely more pucks that miss the netting (on the sides) to actually go into the crowd.

Bad idea.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The netting pretty much guarantees that the puck stops dead when it hits it and then the puck takes a second or two to fall, which gives the forecheckers more time to get to it before the defenders can clear it. Teams would purposely start lobbing dump-ins to the netting instead of to the cross-corner in order to have a higher success rate of keeping the puck in the enemy zone.

Defensemen would be caught waiting, almost like the punt receiver in football, except they don't get to call fair catch so they'd be getting smoked every play.

Overall, you'd see a lot more pucks go to the netting, more injuries to defensemen and likely more pucks that miss the netting (on the sides) to actually go into the crowd.

Bad idea.

This. First thing I thought of as well. If the net is in play, that's where I would be dumping the puck. The advantage goes to the team dumping it in.

The other issue is consistency. Sure the glass does have different bounces in different rinks, but no where near as bad as the netting is. In my rink I would guess that 30-40% of the pucks that hit the net actually fall into the front row of seats, just because of the way the net hangs and how tight it is. Where I'm sure in some rinks all the pucks that hit the net fall back into play. So if the net comes into play, and teams start to dump the puck in off the net, do they get a penalty if the puck still ends up in the seats? Would be a delay of game in my eyes. And if you might get a penalty, then nobody's going to do it.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
Shouldn't stop play after a goal either. Just let the goalie give it to a defenceman and the players from the team that scored leave the area to allow for a breakout. Straight up shinny. Can do similar things for offsides, icing, etc. All penalities become penalty shots. No periods. Just straight up 60 mins before dinner, or, until it gets dark outside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad