Should play continue when the puck goes in the netting?

Xamar*

I would like to know some of your thoughts on this. It maybe harder to notice on TV because the pucks disappears off the screen but I've noticed that when I go to a game when the puck goes into the netting, it never really stays up in the air for longer than a couple of seconds which gives the players enough time to adjust to the falling puck. It just doesn't seem like a worthwhile stoppage to me. It may even improve the speed of the games and cut back on whistles if it wasn't a stoppage. What do you guys think?

Jisatsu

May 17, 2013
They already allow the play to continue when the puck goes into the netting. Ask Detroit.

Xamar*

Is it a safety risk for fans if play continues after the puck hits the netting? I get why the netting is there but since it is there and it still is protecting fans, why not keep the game going ?

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Is it a safety risk for fans if play continues after the puck hits the netting? I get why the netting is there but since it is there and it still is protecting fans, why not keep the game going ?

Because it's not part of the game it's part of the arena.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Gives forecheckers too much time to recover the puck. Instead of dumping it in, just arc it at the net.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
No. The nets are there as a safety provision, not an extension of the glass and playing surface.

You can argue that the glass is also a safety provision.

I think that pucks off the net will remain in play sometime in the future. Not for a few more seasons, though.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
You can argue that the glass is also a safety provision.

I think that pucks off the net will remain in play sometime in the future. Not for a few more seasons, though.
No kidding, you can. What else was the league supposed to do, leave the fans open to getting pelted by flying rubber by not putting up glass (or specifically fencing in the earlier days)?

An earlier poster said it best: the netting is part of the arena, not part of the playing surface

Nynja*

Just have them play in a plexiglass bubble and get it over with. No more fan injuries, no pucks over the glass slowing it down. Good to go.

performance-games-iceboxx-dome-hockey-ZM-1.jpg

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
I would like to know some of your thoughts on this. It maybe harder to notice on TV because the pucks disappears off the screen but I've noticed that when I go to a game when the puck goes into the netting, it never really stays up in the air for longer than a couple of seconds which gives the players enough time to adjust to the falling puck. It just doesn't seem like a worthwhile stoppage to me. It may even improve the speed of the games and cut back on whistles if it wasn't a stoppage. What do you guys think?

Heck why not keep it going when it goes over the glass as long as a fan throws it back on the ice.:sarcasm:

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Nope. The netting is just there as a protection for the fans. It should not be used as an extension of the glass.

What is the glass for then?

Still, I do not think the game should continue even though I hate the amount of stoppages you get in a hockey game. Even more so in the NHL with their five billion commercial breaks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad