Should Pekka Rinne Be On The Trading Block

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Could Rinne help land a number one center?

Put this down in the list of "things that cannot and never will happen, ever". It's problematic getting top-line wingers for a goaltender of any kind, let alone a #1C for a goaltender with the cap hit he's got. "Packaged properly" == "with Seth Jones as a throw-in."

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
this would be a move that my grandmother would have said was, "cutting off your nose to spite your face".

Since we don't have one, we have this fixation that a 1st line centerman is the magic cure all for all our hockey problems. But even thinking of trading Rinne anytime soon because "his value is high" would be the most ridiculous move in the history of the franchise. We would create a fatal hole in net to fix a nagging problem at center. Who knows, maybe Saros will be a shining star in two years, and then this would become something viable. But certainly not now or the foreseeable future.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
this would be a move that my grandmother would have said was, "cutting off your nose to spite your face".

Since we don't have one, we have this fixation that a 1st line centerman is the magic cure all for all our hockey problems. But even thinking of trading Rinne anytime soon because "his value is high" would be the most ridiculous move in the history of the franchise. We would create a fatal hole in net to fix a nagging problem at center. Who knows, maybe Saros will be a shining star in two years, and then this would become something viable. But certainly not now or the foreseeable future.

I know we have a good respect for one another so I'll ask one question and it's in all seriousness, what have we won with Rinne and even Weber for that matter? And the reason I ask is not to be a jerk but to say is Poile's road map working for this team. I love Rinne and think he's an amazing talent but at some point we have to look at the reality that he may not be the guy to bring us to the promised land and I think having a top pivot is ultimately more important to winning the Cup than having an elite goaltender.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
I know we have a good respect for one another so I'll ask one question and it's in all seriousness, what have we won with Rinne and even Weber for that matter? And the reason I ask is not to be a jerk but to say is Poile's road map working for this team. I love Rinne and think he's an amazing talent but at some point we have to look at the reality that he may not be the guy to bring us to the promised land and I think having a top pivot is ultimately more important to winning the Cup than having an elite goaltender.

oh i'm not saying it wouldn't be a viable idea if we had a true adequate replacement right on the horizon. we just don't. not yet. maybe in two years we do and then this idea would be conceivable. and I say the same about weber.

and as to what have we won? well we have among the top ten amount of points in the last 10 years. true we have no cup. but Nashville isn't Montreal or Chicago, we have to win consistently in the regular season to generate ticket sales. we've made great strides recently, but two-three consecutive disaster regular season years and this franchise would be right back in the situation it was 7-8 years ago revenue and attendance wise. What we've won is the ability to keep this franchise.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Not even going to read the article, the idea of it right now is ludicrous. We have no one to replace him, and you aren't getting a quality guy on the market either.

You would be fixing one problem only to create an even bigger one.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
The question should be Should Roman Josi be on the Trading Block

This.

Just posted a value of Josi thread. I think he is the most valuable piece we can actually move. It would hurt but Weber cannot be moved and Jones can't get us what we really need. We need multiple pieces up front and Josi could get them.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
and as to what have we won? well we have among the top ten amount of points in the last 10 years. true we have no cup. but Nashville isn't Montreal or Chicago, we have to win consistently in the regular season to generate ticket sales. we've made great strides recently, but two-three consecutive disaster regular season years and this franchise would be right back in the situation it was 7-8 years ago revenue and attendance wise. What we've won is the ability to keep this franchise.

The best and the most honest post I've ever read on the HFBoards.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Do we not owe it to Pekka to have him retire here if he wants? He's put basically his entire career in here and chose to by signing his long term contract. Trading him marks us as a team that will just give up on guys. We did it with Legwand already. At what point do we willingly keep our home grown guy from start to finish. Weber is an exception here due to the team being handcuffed by Philadelphia and the offersheet.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
in my mind we have 5 guys that are untouchable right now.. Rinne, Weber, Forsberg, Josi, Neal... maybe that list is different in 2 years, maybe not..

Everyone else could be dealt if the price were right.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
You lost me at the "Possible Successor" section; using the career path of a top 3 goaltender in NHL history as a basis to place Saros as the heir apparent is flawed logic. To be fair, you couch it as a stretch, but it's a REALLY big stretch.

Rinne stays and I'm fine with it.

And god, no moving Josi; he's on pace to be a perennial Norris candidate. You don't trade those guys.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Some of the paranoia of never having a "pure top line center" is making us contemplate some truly desperate and irresponsible scenarios. Absolutely not to trading Rinne or Josi. I understand that something involving Jones may be the quickest and simplest way (in theory) to acquire one of those guys but in a perfect world I think the way to go would still be trading Ellis + one or two good prospects + attractive draft picks to a desperate team who doesn't have a lot of leverage for what we're in need of. Then you just hope the trade works out on our end and hope the prospects we trade don't turn into really good NHL players.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Also another question. How many goalies land someone of better value to the team losing them? I thought that Goalies were generally worth less in trade value. I could see Pekka getting a 3C back, but not a 1C.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
You really have to draft a #1C; that's just how the cookie crumbles outside of a handful of landmark trades more common in the no-cap 80s and 90s. You could argue that being competitive for as long as we have has actually hurt us by not being able to lock up a lottery top C, but I'll take the good on-ice product rather than tempt fate by potentially becoming EDM v2.0.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
You really have to draft a #1C; that's just how the cookie crumbles outside of a handful of landmark trades more common in the no-cap 80s and 90s. You could argue that being competitive for as long as we have has actually hurt us by not being able to lock up a lottery top C, but I'll take the good on-ice product rather than tempt fate by potentially becoming EDM v2.0.

But we have not seen the final product in Edmonton.

We have been too mediocre/good to get that really good C but we have found defensive jewels such as Weber in the Second round. This is why I am ok with Poile finally drafting Centers maybe we will find that same jewel in that position as well.

twig

Dec 8, 2013
Yes ... I think he has peaked.
Most every goalie the preds have faced this season looks
better than him to me.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
Rinne wouldn't bring in the value that any of us would be happy with. If him and a 1st could get a top center I'd do it in a heartbeat but we won't come close to that with how mediocre he's played these past few seasons and his contract.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
it would be the biggest hockey mistake ever made with no true heir apparent near ready to take over. I'm just glad this board doesn't have trading authority.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad