Management Should Papa Jacobs take the keys away from Charlie?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
2 years ago Jeremy Jacobs gave the keys to the Bruins and TD Garden to his third son Charlie and his 2 older sons were given the keys to Delaware North.

http://c.o0bg.com/sports/2015/01/06...ETJ/story.html?p1=Article_Related_Box_Article

On Tuesday, Charlie Jacobs, son of owner Jeremy Jacobs, officially became the CEO of Delaware North’s Boston holdings, which include the Bruins, TD Garden, and NESN. Jeremy Jacobs remains Delaware North’s chairman.

But Charlie Jacobs is now the day-to-day boss atop the Bruins’ executive chart. On his first official day in his new position, Jacobs flexed his muscles, cleared his throat, and virtually shouted that every facet of the Bruins’ non-playoff standing is under evaluation, including the performance of the hockey operations department.

Had Jacobs held a shoe, he would have slammed it into the podium — in the style of either Mike Milbury or Nikita Khrushchev — to emphasize his words.

“For us to be a team that’s out of the playoffs is absolutely unacceptable,†Jacobs said. “Everybody in the executive offices is fully aware of how I feel.

“They feel the same way, which brings us to this evaluation process. It’s fluid right now. I can’t say that any moment we have a final decision, other than to say it’s been an utter disappointment and a failure. A complete failure.â€

Jacobs acknowledged that his father will still be active in the team’s decision-making. But his new title has given Charlie Jacobs a jolt of power. With power, Jacobs can effect change.

Peter Chiarelli would be fired three months later and after a nationwide search Charlie stayed inhouse with Don Sweeney.

If Charlie thought the Bruins were a complete failure two years ago what does he think now? Charlie has done a good job in finally jumpstarting the development of the North Station area but as far as hockey is concerned he is out of his element.

Jeremy Jacobs 40 years ago gave the keys to Harry Sinden and only took them away after Charlie worked in Boston for a year and told his father that the team was a mess.
Charlie then hired an outsider in Chiarelli and 5 years later he won the Cup.

The whole dynamic creates strange vibes. Cam Neely is the senior hockey adviser today but I can't forget how Papa Jacobs embarrassed Cam before the parade in 2011.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/06/...us-cup-something-he-couldn’t-do-as-a-player’/

I am only suggesting for better or worse Papa Jacobs needs to take back the keys....for now.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I voted no simply because Charlie has to be accountable and learn from his mistakes. If those mistakes include trying to re-tool on the fly AND on the CHEAP then let him go down with the rest of them.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I'm not sure it really matters.

Ownership got the cost certainty they so badly wanted.
They spend to the cap.
Speculation here, but perhaps in their minds spending to the cap should = competitive team.
Let's call competitive, "competing for the cup".

It doesn't. As we've discussed in numerous threads, there are too many teams in the league now to simply reply on your pedigree as a franchise to make the playoffs, let alone make a run in them.

IMO, they need to go outside the organization and get an independent hockey mind like they did with Chiarelli. Break up the good ole boys club.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I'm not sure it really matters.

Ownership got the cost certainty they so badly wanted.
They spend to the cap.
Speculation here, but perhaps in their minds spending to the cap should = competitive team.
Let's call competitive, "competing for the cup".

It doesn't. As we've discussed in numerous threads, there are too many teams in the league now to simply reply on your pedigree as a franchise to make the playoffs, let alone make a run in them.

IMO, they need to go outside the organization and get an independent hockey mind like they did with Chiarelli. Break up the good ole boys club.

The irony is the cost certainty Jacobs wanted has hurt him more than any NHL team. Jacobs could not stomach an owner like Mike Ilitch who was willing to lose money if he could win a Cup.

The Bruins need to find a John McDonough like the Hawks did 10 years ago,

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
This is yet another issue I don't know how the average has the ability to honestly evaluate.

We see the hockey game. Sure, I hate how Charlie is possibly the worst public speaker I have ever seen and seems to express incredible amounts of blind optimism (along with the rest of the organization, including the coach and FO staff), but other than that...

You might as well make a list of every executive in the Bruins organization and ask the same question because I literally know the same amount on them as I do on Charlie.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Somewhat related, however, I do sometimes think the Jacobs are in the wrong business. It seems like they are ultra focused on year over year revenues/profits. When you're running a concessions company, I get that. But a sports team...in a big sports market? Losing money for a few years to build a star-studded team will grow your fan base than ever before. It almost seems like the 2009-2013 team really amped up the town and the Jacobs family is silly enough to think that it's an endless revenue stream no matter what the team does at this point.

Hockey is not a hard sell in Boston. Let's be real here. The 2008 team got knocked out in the first round, people saw the light. and within the next year, they were selling out every game...

It's worth building for the future...

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I voted no because there isn't possibly enough to make a decision on it with how little is known publicly about his role in the team is.

His public speaking is bad, but in the grand scheme of things, doesn't negatively effect the Bruins product on the ice. Behind the scenes. Who knows.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
nothing good has happened since Charlies first public statements on the Bruins. Fire him yesterday. I still remember the policy of hindering Chia at the trade deadline during his last year while we missed by 1 point, after that he should be banned from the arena.

sorry thats my take

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I voted no.

Honestly, unless they are prepared to go out to the external market, hire the absolute best hockey mind they can find to manage and oversee their entire hockey operations, what is the point?

And that's not an criticism of Sweeney. The new boss of hockey ops could very well want to keep Sweeney around.

But handing the keys back to Jacobs Sr., or putting in some other Ex-Bruin retread or internal hire in the Cam Neely role, makes zero sense.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
nothing good has happened since Charlies first public statements on the Bruins. Fire him yesterday. I still remember the policy of hindering Chia at the trade deadline during his last year while we missed by 1 point, after that he should be banned from the arena.

sorry thats my take

So you think Chia should of been allowed to send a bounty of young players and picks to Arizona for handful of games from Antoine Vermette and one season of Keith Yandle, just to save his own behind?

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
So you think Chia should of been allowed to send a bounty of young players and picks to Arizona for handful of games from Antoine Vermette and one season of Keith Yandle, just to save his own behind?

Yes Id take Yandle, and Chia seems to be doing fine in Edmonton now even after trading Hall. Please let me know when our 3 first round picks we got last year do anything. Pasta was also drafted by Chia with Gretskys help.

If Charlie misses this year. Hope he is gone, I dont trust his leadership one bit. I dont see how anything positive can be said about his performance, probably the worst mind in hockey. Cam! Cam! can you help me out!

Last edited:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Yes Id take Yandle, and Chia seems to be doing fine in Edmonton now even after trading Hall. Please let me know when our 3 first round picks we got last year do anything. Pasta was also drafted by Chia with Gretskys help.

If Charlie misses this year. Hope he is gone, I dont trust his leadership one bit. I dont see how anything positive can be said about his performance, probably the worst mind in hockey

Extremely shortsighted approach.

And yep, he traded Hall for Larsson. He also had McDavid fall into his lap. Take McDavid off that team and they're no where near the same.

What decisions has Charley directly done that make him the absolute worst mind in all of hockey?

I can't say that stopping a short sided deal from an individual looking to only save his job would make him bad. In fact, that would make him smart.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
The entire Bruins front office and staff have only one great hockey mind among them, and his name is Claude Julien, and ironically he is the guy us fans want fired. This franchise is going nowhere as long as Cam, Sweeney, Charlie and Sacco are around. Once those guys are gone, we can start a rebuild. Maybe we'll have to miss the playoffs for ten straight years before someone finally wakes the **** up. Look at the staff Toronto assembled to rebuild the team. Our franchise is run by baboons in comparison.

Julien will be leading the Habs to the cup finals next year if he gets fired from Boston.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

If Charlie misses this year. Hope he is gone, I dont trust his leadership one bit. I dont see how anything positive can be said about his performance, probably the worst mind in hockey. Cam! Cam! can you help me out!

Except Yandle might already be gone.

And what does the job Chiarelli has done in Edmonton have to do with Charlie and/or Cam stopping him from making a ridiculous deal.

And I'm probably one of the few around here who like Chiarelli overall. But that trade they vetoed was the right thing to do.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
This is yet another issue I don't know how the average has the ability to honestly evaluate.

We see the hockey game. Sure, I hate how Charlie is possibly the worst public speaker I have ever seen and seems to express incredible amounts of blind optimism (along with the rest of the organization, including the coach and FO staff), but other than that...

You might as well make a list of every executive in the Bruins organization and ask the same question because I literally know the same amount on them as I do on Charlie.

This is likely to be the most well thought out and reasonable post of the thread.

I suspect the keys will be taken away from Clode long before Charlie loses his.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The entire Bruins front office and staff have only one great hockey mind among them, and his name is Claude Julien, and ironically he is the guy us fans want fired. This franchise is going nowhere as long as Cam, Sweeney, Charlie and Sacco are around. Once those guys are gone, we can start a rebuild. Maybe we'll have to miss the playoffs for ten straight years before someone finally wakes the **** up. Look at the staff Toronto assembled to rebuild the team. Our franchise is run by baboons in comparison.

Julien will be leading the Habs to the cup finals next year if he gets fired from Boston.

Yes, Toronto is the franchise the B's should model themselves after :laugh:

As far as Clode in Montreal next year, as much as I dislike Therrien, since 2012-13 when he returned to MTL:

Habs under Therrien have 190 wins.

B's under Julien have 188 wins.

I'm not sure I see the Habs having a burning desire to run out and hire Julien after this season.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I think the team is slightly underperforming from what the organization thought. Any hockey oriented mind could peruse through this lineup with no true number 1 defenseman,a flawed #2,a rookie,no number 3 and maybe no number 4. It also has 2 defenseman with less then 75 games NHL experience shuffled in and out of the lineup a combined 48 times. Add to that,several non offensive rookies and vets and the hope that a 20 year old forward and a 22 year old forward with 50 NHL games would somehow be front line players at about 4-5 years away from when they should peak. They are what the organization thought they might be and they are what we thought they might be.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
2 years ago Jeremy Jacobs gave the keys to the Bruins and TD Garden to his third son Charlie and his 2 older sons were given the keys to Delaware North.

http://c.o0bg.com/sports/2015/01/06...ETJ/story.html?p1=Article_Related_Box_Article

Peter Chiarelli would be fired three months later and after a nationwide search Charlie stayed inhouse with Don Sweeney.

If Charlie thought the Bruins were a complete failure two years ago what does he think now? Charlie has done a good job in finally jumpstarting the development of the North Station area but as far as hockey is concerned he is out of his element.

Jeremy Jacobs 40 years ago gave the keys to Harry Sinden and only took them away after Charlie worked in Boston for a year and told his father that the team was a mess.
Charlie then hired an outsider in Chiarelli and 5 years later he won the Cup.

The whole dynamic creates strange vibes. Cam Neely is the senior hockey adviser today but I can't forget how Papa Jacobs embarrassed Cam before the parade in 2011.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/06/...us-cup-something-he-couldn’t-do-as-a-player’/

I am only suggesting for better or worse Papa Jacobs needs to take back the keys....for now.

wondering out loud if Cam and not Charlie is the issue?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I just don't know. Outside of his lack of comfort in front of a mic I don't know what he does behind the scenes.

I know someone who has spoken to Charlie on several occasions and he says CJ comes across as intelligent and knowledgeable about the game. It's purely speculation on my part, but I suspect he is probably consulted, but only peripherally involved in hockey ops decisions.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
Please let me know when our 3 first round picks we got last year do anything. Pasta was also drafted by Chia with Gretskys help.

Whether you like him or not, when Chia left, the Bruins were in salary-cap jail, and had emptied the prospects pool to ice a team. (Not to mention the 2 guys they lost to waivers, and the one they lost forever to injury)

Now the team is in a good place from the Cap perspective, and the pipeline has real talent in it. I haven't been following the P-Bruins or the draft picks at all this season, yet I know that those guys have been tearing it up because the news bytes have literally lept out at me. JFK was the big star at Frozen Fenway (along with McAvoy), and Senyshen scored a hat trick two days ago. Lauzon made some noise at World Juniors. Carlo is currently the Bruins #2 defenseman, logging >20 minutes per game and doing a pretty good job of it.
We've already gotten one quality NHL player out of that draft, and are sure to have multiple more. At the very least, we have good reason to be optimistic about Sweeney as GM, in spite of the bad turnout of the Smith-for-Hayes trade.

So there have obviously been some things that have gone well under Charlie's reign. The opening comments he made were tremendously short-sighted, I am not sold on Neely as an exec, and I am worried about the possibility of Boston becoming the 'old-boys-club' that boat-anchored Edmonton for so long. But I can't really fault many moves that they've actually made.

So I'm inclined to let things play out for a while longer before I run out and stock up on torches & pitchforks. And as another posted - why do we think that an ancient JJ would be an improvement?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Holy moly me oh my, we are on to Charlie now :laugh:

Only 35 games left I'm ready for catchers and pitchers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad