Management Should Papa Jacobs take the keys away from Charlie?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yes Id take Yandle, and Chia seems to be doing fine in Edmonton now even after trading Hall. Please let me know when our 3 first round picks we got last year do anything. Pasta was also drafted by Chia with Gretskys help.

If Charlie misses this year. Hope he is gone, I dont trust his leadership one bit. I dont see how anything positive can be said about his performance, probably the worst mind in hockey. Cam! Cam! can you help me out!

My favorite Chiarelli move was dealing 16 & 33 for Reinhart

I wish he did that deal here.

That deal alone would consume 90% of every thread post rant

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
What exactly would papa do differently than junior? Seems to me, that it would be business as usual, but with an absentee owner instead of one locally. Either way, there are other changes that need to be made organizationally before Charlie gets the gate. If you want to shake things up, start with firing Cam. That would be a far more impact firing than just having JJ take back over from his son.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Holy moly me oh my, we are on to Charlie now :laugh:

Only 35 games left I'm ready for catchers and pitchers

I dont mind being alone on this one, I think every time Charlie speaks or acts the Bruins brand is hurt. I will patiently wait till his exodus lol however i couldnt resist this thread

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I dont mind being alone on this one, I think every time Charlie speaks or acts the Bruins brand is hurt. I will patiently wait till his exodus lol however i couldnt resist this thread

His Dad OWNS the team.

You will be waiting a long, long time for Charlie's exodus :laugh:

Even if you were correct and Charlie was a big part of the problem (which is not the case IMO), changes would be made internally and his responsibilities would change without us ever knowing. JJ is not going to throw his kid under the bus.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
His Dad OWNS the team.

You will be waiting a long, long time for Charlie's exodus :laugh:

Even if you were correct and Charlie was a big part of the problem (which is not the case IMO), changes would be made internally and his responsibilities would change without us ever knowing. JJ is not going to throw his kid under the bus.

yuck how depressing

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
wondering out loud if Cam and not Charlie is the issue?

I have been wondering the same thing myself. IMO his personality is much more dominant than Charlie Jacobs' or Don Sweeney's for that matter.

As for "taking the keys away" from Charlie- I don't think this is realistic. Jeremy Jacobs is in his 80s, he's stepping away from running his companies and frankly there isn't time for him to see if any of his grandchildren might be capable of taking over the hockey team if they want to keep it in the family.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have been wondering the same thing myself. IMO his personality is much more dominant than Charlie Jacobs' or Don Sweeney's for that matter.

As for "taking the keys away" from Charlie- I don't think this is realistic. Jeremy Jacobs is in his 80s, he's stepping away from running his companies and frankly there isn't time for him to see if any of his grandchildren might be capable of taking over the hockey team if they want to keep it in the family.

Papa Jacobs turns 77 in a few days and seems to be in good health.

Delaware North overall has been struggling the past few years and lost a major contract with the US Government and have lost contracts with a few venues to a Chicago based company Levy that is partially owned by the Wirtz family.

http://www.levyrestaurants.com/venues/

DN has always considered Boston a separate division of the family business and now they have finally decided to develop around North Station. The Bruins themselves are owned directly by Jeremy and his wife and TD Garden is owned by Delaware North.
DN is 100% owned by the family but the concession business is becoming more competitive.

Those of us who go to the games regularly have notice that the in-game presentation (not counting the game itself) has declined in the past few years. The Bruins have never been known to be fan friendly with customer service and promotions and I thought that would get better under Charlie but it has gotten worse.

On a personal note my family has had season tickets since 1948 and while they are in my name my nephew uses the tickets but he is at the end of his rope. He lives on the Cape and he doesn't want to deal with downtown anymore.

Something drastic needs to be done now to keep the entire business relevant.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I'd love to know what Charlie and Cam do on a daily basis.

I'd also love to know why Charlie appears to have no balls? Daddy owns the team, step up or step out and go find another job.

This organization gives me a headache.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I would definitely be on board with this

Lou Lamoriello would have been the perfect czar with his Rhode Island roots but everyone thought he would be with New Jersey for life but he wound up in Toronto. Brian Burke could be a possibility and he too has New England roots.

If I was Jacobs I would take a run at getting Stan Bowman away from Chicago. With John McDonough as president of the Hawks, Bowman can not rise any higher.

I doubt that he would be interested but why not approach Robert Gordon Orr?

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
I doubt that he would be interested but why not approach Robert Gordon Orr?

How different would this be from the status quo? Personally, I think heroes and idols should keep their distance from the front office, unless they are already *successfully* acting in that capacity somewhere else.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
How different would this be from the status quo? Personally, I think heroes and idols should keep their distance from the front office, unless they are already *successfully* acting in that capacity somewhere else.

Bobby over the past 2 decades as an agent knows the ropes in developing talent. There is no indication that Cam has any idea at that level.

A couple of years ago I saw Bobby watching a high school game in Rhode Island.

Ace0813

Bleed Black & Gold
Aug 28, 2008
New Hampshire
Jacobs seems like a meek little kitten whenever he's doing anything in front of the fans. The guy should have been handed the keys to the Accounting Department of the Bruins, not leading the entire team.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Jacobs seems like a meek little kitten whenever he's doing anything in front of the fans. The guy should have been handed the keys to the Accounting Department of the Bruins, not leading the entire team.

Keep in mind that Papa Jacobs owned the team for 30 years and the first time most of us had ever heard him speak was after Thornton was traded when he angrily argued with Ordway on WEEI.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

What exactly would papa do differently than junior? Seems to me, that it would be business as usual, but with an absentee owner instead of one locally. Either way, there are other changes that need to be made organizationally before Charlie gets the gate. If you want to shake things up, start with firing Cam. That would be a far more impact firing than just having JJ take back over from his son.

I don't know. If Cam has such a big influence, Clode would be gone already. Doesn't seem to like him and his low scoring system.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Bobby over the past 2 decades as an agent knows the ropes in developing talent. There is no indication that Cam has any idea at that level.

A couple of years ago I saw Bobby watching a high school game in Rhode Island.

This is pure speculation.

Orr may well know the ropes in developing talent (whatever that means exactly)...or he may not. I'm not sure what being an agent has to do with it one way or another? I watch high school and college hockey all the time.

Maybe I should throw my name in to the ring? :laugh:

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
It depends on what role they take behind the scenes

For Charlie to come out and
publicly (or was it jeremey?) and say he expects a "deep run" indicates to me that they may be putting too much pressure on certain parts and it's Having a negative cascade effect on decisions being made

For one, I think Sweeney is good at development but not necessarily good at identifying NHL talent, and it has cost him and the team at times

For example, having the contract of Hayes and Miller/McQuaid and that it could have been spent on an upgrade to the wings or defense is a problem, he overvalued both. He overvalued Belesky to a degree as well.

Sweeney may end up going down as a guy that helped this team compete long term but didn't do enough himself to stay long term, the next gm will get the majority of credit if they win a cup sort of thing - even if key pieces to the cup are guys Sweeney brought in

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
It depends on what role they take behind the scenes

For Charlie to come out and
publicly (or was it jeremey?) and say he expects a "deep run" indicates to me that they may be putting too much pressure on certain parts and it's Having a negative cascade effect on decisions being made

It was the old man.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is pure speculation.

Orr may well know the ropes in developing talent (whatever that means exactly)...or he may not. I'm not sure what being an agent has to do with it one way or another? I watch high school and college hockey all the time.

Maybe I should throw my name in to the ring? :laugh:

When Vesey was playing in a summer league in Foxborough it was well documented here that both Julien and Sweeney went down to see him but Cam was never spotted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->