Should Ovi get suspended? Is it charging?

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
What???? Clean hit. The fact this play was tagged by the NHL show you again how this league is stupid

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
I looked into the Cbus board and noticed a couple of people claiming this to be the dirtiest play since Germany invaded Poland, and I just put my face in my hands

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
[MOD]

I know the little precious babies that are coming into the league now can't take hits, or throw hits, and soon all hitting will be gone from the game because the precious ones might get hurt, but that was a nothing hit thrown by a bigger man on a much smaller (softer) young man.

Last edited by a moderator:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
charging would be skating strides. he doesn't take a single stride in either video. he doesn't come off his skates til after contact as he rides up over the smaller man. he doesn't hit him from behind. Its not boarding.

but, never under estimate the talent of the NHL. after letting one player spear a player from behind in the groin and then slash another player's finger off to no penalty, it would be sop for the league to give Ovechkin 3 games for this.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
how is anyone saying that's boarding? You can see his numbers from up ice, and he doesn't push or jump at all. That's a perfect hit.

pezpunk

May 3, 2013
how is anyone saying that's boarding? You can see his numbers from up ice, and he doesn't push or jump at all. That's a perfect hit.

It's a thread because the NHL tagged the hit for review. Plus you never quite know what will happen when the league spins the Wheel-O-Discipline.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
This is why I laugh when people use the DoPS decision on whether something is dirty or not or if someone is dirty or not because of suspension history. It's so damn random.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Doesn't look like a penalty to me. The NHL rule book is amazingly vague regarding charging. Discretion of the refs of what constitutes distance and violent.

eZRvc0o.png

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
The only issue I see with this hit is that OV may have left his feet before contact. It's just hard to tell from either angle whether he actually did.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
If he was some random fourth liner then we could have a discussion. But no star player will get suspended for that.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
The Jackets wanted a physical game. Something tells me they're not too happy with the outcome. This is such a routine play and now their defensive depth could potentially have taken a big hit.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Looks pretty clean? And CBJ wouldn't really have a right to moan about it anyway the way they were getting after Ovi.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Charging? he doesn't even take a stride in the video lol, Clean hard hit.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
It's a thread because the NHL tagged the hit for review. Plus you never quite know what will happen when the league spins the Wheel-O-Discipline.

Seriously? How bizarre.... looking at that I would have called it textbook.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad