Speculation: Should Meruelo buy the Suns?

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
If it were to happen I'd be fine with it. Prefer he just focuses on the Coyotes. I'd hate to see him pick a favorite. I'm not sure Sarver is going to end up out yet. Good chance though since even CP3 is speaking out. The backlash could grow louder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prarievarg

diceone

Aug 14, 2006
tempe
If he does, what are the odds he'd ditch the Coyotes? I think it would be high since the main purpose seems to be the gambling license.

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021
If he does, what are the odds he'd ditch the Coyotes? I think it would be high since the main purpose seems to be the gambling license.
While I agree that the gambling license is important, his company is a very very small player in the game. The big ones (FD, Caesar’s, DK, barstool) take the majority of the action.

It seems like they started way late and no one really knows about them. Honestly the promos they have are also terrible.

I wouldn’t be surprised with all overhead/fees if he’s currently losing money on it.

I know it’s a long term hold type of thing but it can’t make him happy knowing he’s a very small fish in a huge pond.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

It depends on the TED. If Tempe kicked the TED to the curb, and if Meruelo subsequently bought the Suns, then the Mutts would be renting moving vans IMO.

But the Coyotes come with the TED, and if they get the green light for it, I doubt Meruelo even looks at the Suns for a while.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
He doesn't have the money. The Suns would go for $2 billion at least.
Sarver's share is reported at 35% ownership, so around $630M is what they are saying in the media. Rumors for years that the Sun's second biggest investor has wanted a bigger stake in the team too. This is probably his chance to grab majority stake.

Edit: It's Jahm Najafi, who has also called for Sarver to resign. Seems like he might already using this to his advantage, posturing.

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Sarver's share is reported at 35% ownership, so around $630M is what they are saying in the media. Rumors for years that the Sun's second biggest investor has wanted a bigger stake in the team too. This is probably his chance to grab majority stake.

Edit: It's Jahm Najafi, who has also called for Sarver to resign. Seems like he might already using this to his advantage, posturing.
Other than he claims he doesn’t want control.

But then again, he and his brother and one other have tried to run Sarver out for years.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
While I agree that the gambling license is important, his company is a very very small player in the game. The big ones (FD, Caesar’s, DK, barstool) take the majority of the action.

It seems like they started way late and no one really knows about them. Honestly the promos they have are also terrible.

I wouldn’t be surprised with all overhead/fees if he’s currently losing money on it.

I know it’s a long term hold type of thing but it can’t make him happy knowing he’s a very small fish in a huge pond.

It's really really bad right now. In July, Sahara Bets had total bets of $39,907.29 for the entire month. The whole "profit" for the month was $397.90. (This is without taking into account operating cost or salaries)

For comparison in the same month, DraftKings and FanDuel each had 3 million in bets.... per day.

• Wow
Reactions: Coyotes19c

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
He doesn't have the money and with his PR issues over the last couple years, (late payments, Strang article), they wouldn't take him anyway. A better candidate would come forward no doubt. Plus, he wants a land deal. Starting over with the Suns would mean working out a whole new arena deal and getting out of their current one.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I prefer that he invest in a sport that the players have sharp blades on their feet, a stick in their hand, play on a slippery, harder than concrete, surface, slapping around a disc, than a sport that the players play in their underwear with a large ball.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's really really bad right now. In July, Sahara Bets had total bets of $39,907.29 for the entire month. The whole "profit" for the month was $397.90. (This is without taking into account operating cost or salaries)

For comparison in the same month, DraftKings and FanDuel each had 3 million in bets.... per day.
Where are you getting these figures?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He doesn't have the money and with his PR issues over the last couple years, (late payments, Strang article), they wouldn't take him anyway. A better candidate would come forward no doubt. Plus, he wants a land deal. Starting over with the Suns would mean working out a whole new arena deal and getting out of their current one.
I think AM could swing Sarver's share, but I doubt he wants it. He has his hands full with the Yote's. Mind you, the Sun's have everything in place and are running smoothly. Still, I think he has no interest.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Are they attempting to time their launch with the new arena or something? I know it’s launched. But it feels soft launches or in beta.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021
Are they attempting to time their launch with the new arena or something? I know it’s launched. But it feels soft launches or in beta.
If so I don’t think it was very smart. People have already been way to comfortable with the other options available. This is coming from an avid bettor. I would love to support the coyotes by using sahara but to be honest it just flat out sucks.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Should not be a surprise.

DK and FD are well established entities to sports betting and had everything lined up to go at day 1 with massive ad campaigns.

Meruelo decided to go on his own and develop his own company from scratch. His one advantage is he’s hooked up with the largest gaming machine manufacturer/operator in the world in IGT.

It’s too early to tell how this will work out.

Reactions: YotesFan47

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
If Sahara Bets was failing while Meruelo was doing everything he could to make it succeed I'd be concerned. Seems like he's all but ignoring it right now. Does seem strange to me, but I have no reason to think he doesn't know what he's doing. I agee with @TheLegend, "It's too early to tell..."

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona

Pretty much this. He had to have something up and running (I think March 2022) or he would lose his license. So he met the obligation of launching but far from it's final form.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Pretty much this. He had to have something up and running (I think March 2022) or he would lose his license. So he met the obligation of launching but far from it's final form.
The other issue was stadium size. It needed to be a minimum of 10,000 seats but he was able to get a change in the law allowing an exception for playing a Mullett.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think AM could swing Sarver's share, but I doubt he wants it. He has his hands full with the Yote's. Mind you, the Sun's have everything in place and are running smoothly. Still, I think he has no interest.
Existing Suns investors will and have wanted to for a while, buy Sarver out. They have been pushing this direction for some time. They don't need an outside third party to do it. The NBA kicked the can to the players, sponsors and existing owners by not forcing Sarver out, which they couldn't because the NBA would lose the legal battle. So, either the other owners convince him to sell, sponsors start dropping out if Sarver is still in, or the players refuse to play for him.

I think he will be out before the end of the year.

Reactions: moosemeister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad