Should Luke Gazdic be an Oiler after this year?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I love Gazdic as a fighter. He's easily a top 5 fighter in the NHL right now, but that's all he isn't.

He isn't the worst grinder out there, but he's still lacking a lot in that department. His skating has improved but it's still well below average.

Due to all of the fights he's been in his hands will never be anywhere near respectable.

All those people talking about him being a deterrent are kidding themselves. I deterrent is someone who's going to scare you away from doing something and Gazdic flat out doesn't do that. A deterrent needs to be good enough to play at least 14 minutes a game.

If opposing teams knew that running McDavid would get Gazdic on the ice for 14 minutes a game McDavid would have been run half a dozen times by now, because having Gazdic on the ice for 14 minutes a game would probably be seen as a reward for the opposition.

Not only that, but Gazdic doesn't have enough intensity to be seen as a deterrent. He's too nice. Just like Laraque was. He'll drop the gloves but he's not going to get vicious when the opposition takes liberties. I personally don't really care about fights in hockey anymore, but I understand why people feel that fighters are necessary.

A guy like Lucic could be seen as a deterrent. Yes, he picks his fights, but he can play a lot of minutes without dragging the team's performance level down. We don't have a deterrent. We have a face puncher who can play a minimal amount of minutes and I respect Gazdic for improving, but it's not enough.

If he's still in Edmonton next season that's a clear sign that our prospects aren't getting anywhere development-wise.

The only prospects that wouldnt be getting anywhere would be Moroz or Kessey. They are the only two who provide anything close to what Gazdic brings. Dont think you can lump all prospects into that idea as different players with different skills play different roles.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He can pass as a 4th line winger, and he brings an element that none of the the other 4th line options can.

Throw in the fact the dressing room seems to love him, and I'd say there's a role for him here.

I'd argue Hendricks and Gyrba (and eventually Nurse) are more effective due to Gazdic being around. As they can, but don't need to, be the sheriff for the team, and can focus purely on playing the game. An example of this would be Neil in Ottawa; he was at his best when he had McGratton or Crakner on the team.

Do you need Gazdic every game? No. Will he stop everyone from doing something? No (the Benn point's already been discussed), nor do I think 1 player will ever limit it, that's a job for team toughness. But that's where Gazdic can be important, he frees up other players to play hard and focus on the game. I'd rather lose Gazdic for 5 or more, than Gyrba or especially Hendricks.

And for those pointing to lack of offence, If I'm down by a goal I'd rather double shift one of the top 6 wingers and have them play with Hendricks and Letestu, than have a lesser offencive talent like Slepyshev or Miller out on the ice.

And I think we finally have a coach who can recognize when this is necessary. Toss McDavid or Hall out there for an extra shift a few times and all of a sudden your 4th line becomes a defensively responsible line with the threat to score.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Lots of Hyperbole here.

I prefer to take an Alpha approach to the game. You prefer a Beta approach, more submissive. Too each their own.

Lol what's this crap? Someone wander in from a PUA forum by mistake?

So if he doesn't kick Benn's ass the anti-enforcer types would be saying "see he doesn't deter anyone from doing anything, intimidation cannot be measured and you can't intimidate an NHLer" if he did drop 'em and kicked his ass and took a 2-5-10 then it'd be "he cost us the game, useless goon!" Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Another thing to keep in mind is that that is his former team so he's likely friends off the ice with most of those guys. Lastly if he KO'd Benn the reigning Art Ross winner he'd probably be suspended for a long, long time.

You've gone on at length about how the Oilers don't show enough fight, how they don't stick up for each other at all when things get chippy. And here you are making all kinds of excuses for the one guy whose entire job is to do just that. :shakehead

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Why do we have to decide now? Seems like a rather pointless article to have at this time of year when there is so much more to talk about right now.

I wrote it because I wanted to and no one else was talking about it - I try to look for topics that the McCurdy's/Staples/Willises/Gregors haven't beaten me to. Willis especially - that guy generates quality content like a madman.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I wrote it because I wanted to and no one else was talking about it - I try to look for topics that the McCurdy's/Staples/Willises/Gregors haven't beaten me to. Willis especially - that guy generates quality content like a madman.

Talking about personnel for next year seems pointless. Guy are being given a fresh start at this point

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Who cares if he is not 'an nhl player'

The Islanders had Micheal Healy, Trevor Gillies, Matt Martin.

They had been targeted and bullied by the Pens and other teams and had a young team with some stars. The beat the hell out of the pens took their 9 game suspension, as soon as Gillies got back Clutterbuck was doing his routine and gillies took another 10.

The Isles problems decreased after that.

He's an extra forward who gets inserted into potentially trouble games. If we can find a nastier meaner and more willing guy then fine go get him. I still want a heavy weight on and around this team at least until the best players have matured enough.

The guy that drilled McDavid in the ex season? should have been punched out immediately whether he was willing or not.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Why is this even a thread? lol

He's a 13th forward who occasionally punches faces and isn't a liability when he's on the ice, and in fact, he's been pretty good in the limited time he's played this season. It's not like his replacement will have anymore of an impact than him, so yes, he's worth having for at least a few more years.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Lol what's this crap? Someone wander in from a PUA forum by mistake?

You've gone on at length about how the Oilers don't show enough fight, how they don't stick up for each other at all when things get chippy. And here you are making all kinds of excuses for the one guy whose entire job is to do just that. :shakehead

Do you know where I can see the video of this incident? I'm drawing a blank TBH. If Nilsson was run and Gazdic did nothing then yeah I have an issue with it. That said my point remains above, that he was damned if you do/don't for those that are anti enforcer.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Do you know where I can see the video of this incident? I'm drawing a blank TBH. If Nilsson was run and Gazdic did nothing then yeah I have an issue with it. That said my point remains above, that he was damned if you do/don't for those that are anti enforcer.

Nilsson wasn't run. Pretty sure Benn went hard to the net for a rebound and after the whistle him and Nilsson had a stare down (Nilsson was staring down at Benn lol) and a few words were said. Its the way Benn plays every game. He's a DB, a really talented DB to play against.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I disagree with you. 10 minutes /game is enough to be deterrent and Luke can already play 8 minutes in even strength . He jus need to add PK to his toolbox and he is just fine for many years for us

Be a deterrent on the PK? What purpose does that serve?

Just being able to give him minutes in a situation where he can't play the role of enforcer for the sake of being able to say he can play some minutes?

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Dear god, not a liability? Can play up to 8-10 minutes or on the pk?

He can barely skate well enough, I don't consider him good enough at that even, and his only quality is his fighting.

Every time he's on the ice he's absolutely useless, you can convince yourselves all you want that we need a 'nuclear deterrent', but the point is that they're handicapping themselves when you don't have a more useful player who can take face offs or do literally anything other than punch people in the face.

Yeah he's only playing 6 minutes but why have someone so limited like that? You're handicapping the other two guys on the 4th line because he has zero puck skills.

It's astonishing the difference in player between him and even, say, Matt Hendricks.

There aren't that many pure enforcers in the league and I can't see Gazdic on the team next year. He shouldn't be on it now with guys like Pakarinen scratched but whatever, McLellan and Chiarelli still need to learn some things.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Who cares if he is not 'an nhl player'

The Islanders had Micheal Healy, Trevor Gillies, Matt Martin.

They had been targeted and bullied by the Pens and other teams and had a young team with some stars. The beat the hell out of the pens took their 9 game suspension, as soon as Gillies got back Clutterbuck was doing his routine and gillies took another 10.

The Isles problems decreased after that.
This is true IMO, the season followed with just Martin and then we added Boults and Carkner after. Now we have Boulton in the wings.
Why is this even a thread? lol

He's a 13th forward who occasionally punches faces and isn't a liability when he's on the ice, and in fact, he's been pretty good in the limited time he's played this season. It's not like his replacement will have anymore of an impact than him, so yes, he's worth having for at least a few more years.

Is he really the 13th? Who's the 14th or do you guys have an 8th dman?

I'm personally just a supporter of having an enforcer like Gazdic or Boulton as the 23rd man, if he knows his role and accepts it then these guys are useful.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Nilsson wasn't run. Pretty sure Benn went hard to the net for a rebound and after the whistle him and Nilsson had a stare down (Nilsson was staring down at Benn lol) and a few words were said. Its the way Benn plays every game. He's a DB, a really talented DB to play against.
It wasn't just Benn though. Spezza celebrated his goal right through the crease and pretty much in Nilsson's face. No excuse for that sort of *************, and it should be met with a stiff forearm to the side of the head at the earliest opportunity. The fact that this sort of thing goes on so often shows how few teams take the Oilers seriously as an opponent.

I didn't read the article or vote in the poll because like joe I'm not thinking about next season, nor do I have any idea whether the club wants to keep Gazdic. My answer to op question would be that if Gazdic isn't on the roster next season, I assume someone (theoretically better) will be in the role. When most of your lineup is as wimpy as the Oilers are, you have no choice but to keep Gazdic, or a player like him, on the roster.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Hmmm.

The poll is running 50-50 yet you claimed it was a relatively easy answer.

Guess you missed something along the way.

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
Dear god, not a liability? Can play up to 8-10 minutes or on the pk?

He can barely skate well enough, I don't consider him good enough at that even, and his only quality is his fighting.

Every time he's on the ice he's absolutely useless, you can convince yourselves all you want that we need a 'nuclear deterrent', but the point is that they're handicapping themselves when you don't have a more useful player who can take face offs or do literally anything other than punch people in the face.

Yeah he's only playing 6 minutes but why have someone so limited like that? You're handicapping the other two guys on the 4th line because he has zero puck skills.

It's astonishing the difference in player between him and even, say, Matt Hendricks.

There aren't that many pure enforcers in the league and I can't see Gazdic on the team next year. He shouldn't be on it now with guys like Pakarinen scratched but whatever, McLellan and Chiarelli still need to learn some things.

This.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I saw that play and didn't think a whole hell of a lot about it at the time TBH. I thought that maybe Benn bowled him over or something.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It wasn't just Benn though. Spezza celebrated his goal right through the crease and pretty much in Nilsson's face. No excuse for that sort of *************, and it should be met with a stiff forearm to the side of the head at the earliest opportunity. The fact that this sort of thing goes on so often shows how few teams take the Oilers seriously as an opponent.

I didn't read the article or vote in the poll because like joe I'm not thinking about next season, nor do I have any idea whether the club wants to keep Gazdic. My answer to op question would be that if Gazdic isn't on the roster next season, I assume someone (theoretically better) will be in the role. When most of your lineup is as wimpy as the Oilers are, you have no choice but to keep Gazdic, or a player like him, on the roster.

Nurse will be a big help in this regard but we still need a lot more toughness and a mentality of a team that won't put up with being disrespected.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I said it was an easy answer for ME. Less snark, more reading comprehension.

Hmm, maybe you need some. ;)

If it was an easy answer for you, then there are only two conclusions. 50% of those who voted are dumb (after all 1+1=2 is easy) or you missed something.

Which of those two explanations do you think are true? Remember you are the aspiring article writer. You threw out that phrase, not me.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Hmm, maybe you need some. ;)

If it was an easy answer for you, then there are only two conclusions. 50% of those who voted are dumb (after all 1+1=2 is easy) or you missed something.

Which of those two explanations do you think are true? Remember you are the aspiring article writer. You threw out that phrase, not me.

It was an easy answer FOR ME, because just like anyone, I'm entitled to my own opinion. Whether you agree with it or not is your opinion. I wrote that piece knowing it would be divisive and would spur a good conversation. There's a method to my madness.

I'm not anti fighting, but I am against giving a roster spot to a guy that can only play six minutes a night against other fourth lines.

As for 'aspiring article writer' - I am an article writer. How far I want to go with it, I'm not sure. I mostly do it for fun.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
It was an easy answer FOR ME, because just like anyone, I'm entitled to my own opinion. Whether you agree with it or not is your opinion. I wrote that piece knowing it would be divisive and would spur a good conversation. There's a method to my madness.

I'm not anti fighting, but I am against giving a roster spot to a guy that can only play six minutes a night against other fourth lines.

As for 'aspiring article writer' - I am an article writer. How far I want to go with it, I'm not sure. I mostly do it for fun.

Fair enough. Most of the controversial writers throw in phrases such as that. If you are going to do it though you have to be expected to be called on it. After all, you are basically, intentionally or not, demeaning those who disagree with you. :nod:

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Gazdic this year has looked fine for a 4th line energy guy. His salary is fine, and the group in the locker room love him. No reason not to keep him around, even as the extra forward.

I wish to see Gazdic in more of a Matt Martin mold...Martin does have better skills...but im thinking more in physicality. Martin is very assertive physically every shift..Gazdic will have 1 shift like that per game..then wander around the rest of TOI doing not much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad