Should Luke Gazdic be an Oiler after this year?

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
A hard question to ask, but, for me, a relatively easy one to answer.

http://alongtheboards.com/2015/10/will-luke-gazdic-be-an-oiler-after-this-year/

I gotta disagree, he's looked good all year, is only a -1 on a team that has a -2 differential.

If he's only getting paid 850k that's a bargain for a player that is reliable in a 4th line role and can drop em with anyone.

And you quote a lot of stats from his time under Eakins, I'd wait for him to play under McLellan a few more games before counting him out.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I gotta disagree, he's looked good all year, is only a -1 on a team that has a -2 differential.

If he's only getting paid 850k that's a bargain for a player that is reliable in a 4th line role and can drop em with anyone.

And you quote a lot of stats from his time under Eakins, I'd wait for him to play under McLellan a few more games before counting him out.

That's what trolls do on the main board.

So CO, you used selective facts to legitimize your opinion instead of using facts to formulate an opinion.

That is called experimenter's bias.

The man who claimed that margarine was great for you did the same thing.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That's what trolls do on the main board.

So CO, you used selective facts to legitimize your opinion instead of using facts to formulate an opinion.

That is called experimenter's bias.

The man who claimed that margarine was great for you did the same thing.

I used what was available. There's not much else there for Gazdic, unless you want me to use his junior and AHL stats.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Gazdic this year has looked fine for a 4th line energy guy. His salary is fine, and the group in the locker room love him. No reason not to keep him around, even as the extra forward.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I used what was available. There's not much else there for Gazdic, unless you want me to use his junior and AHL stats.

How many times have I read you on the main boards chastising other teams posters for using Eakins stats to support their "Oiler players suck" arguments. Many, many, many times.

Now you turn around and do the same thing.

Experimenter's bias is a tricky thing.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Hall-RNH-Ebs-Drai-McD-Yak-Pouliot-Lander-Letestu and Korpikoski are locks.
Hendricks would still be around. That is 11 already..

Kids with another year under their belt would be making a push for a roster spot next season. Add Slepyshev and possiblity of resigning Klinkhammer and nothing is for certain when it comes to Gazdic.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
How many times have I read you on the main boards chastising other teams posters for using Eakins stats to support their "Oiler players suck" arguments. Many, many, many times.

Now you turn around and do the same thing.

Experimenter's bias is a tricky thing.

The difference is there's evidence to suggest that Yak/Hall/Etc are better players than what they showed under Eakins. Do you honestly think Gaz has it in him to play ten minutes a night and contribute 10-15 points? Nothing I've seen from him suggests that.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The difference is there's evidence to suggest that Yak/Hall/Etc are better players than what they showed under Eakins. Do you honestly think Gaz has it in him to play ten minutes a night and contribute 10-15 points? Nothing I've seen from him suggests that.

You can't pick and choose some stats just because they support your premise, while ignoring those same stats when they don't.

You either use all of the Eakins stats for every player or you don't.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You can't pick and choose some stats just because they support your premise, while ignoring those same stats when they don't.

You either use all of the Eakins stats for every player or you don't.

You're avoiding the question, as usual.

Even if Gazdic produces 30% more than he did under Eakins, we're still talking about a player that - at best - treads water and punches people.

Don't mistake me for a person that sees no value in fighting and wants it out of the game - far from it. I named five players that I would take on this team in a heartbeat for that role. I'm just not sold Gaz has it in him to be an everyday player.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
You're avoiding the question, as usual.

Even if Gazdic produces 30% more than he did under Eakins, we're still talking about a player that - at best - treads water and punches people.

Don't mistake me for a person that sees no value in fighting and wants it out of the game - far from it. I named five players that I would take on this team in a heartbeat for that role. I'm just not sold Gaz has it in him to be an everyday player.

Bring me back unfudged stats and I will debate you. Include Eakins era stats and you get what you just got from me.

Edit: As usual?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Bring me back unfudged stats and I will debate you. Include Eakins era stats and you get what you just got from me.

Edit: As usual?

The only non-Eakins stats Gazdic has are goose eggs. He's a UFA at the end of the season. You're pulling the wool over your own eyes if you don't think Chiarelli isn't looking at who to hang onto with his pending UFA's. Like it or not, Eakins era NHL stats are all we have, like I said, unless you want to use a 26 year old's junior and AHL stats.

I'm not asking for a debate, just a simple yes or no, that you're dodging for whatever reason. You do that from time to time, hence, as usual.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

I can say based on Gazdic's stats under McLellan and by eye, he should not be an Oiler next year (or even next week). He's a terrible terrible hockey player taking up a roster spot and a contract that could be used to give another player an opportunity to contribute.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I can say based on Gazdic's stats under McLellan and by eye, he should not be an Oiler next year (or even next week). He's a terrible terrible hockey player taking up a roster spot and a contract that could be used to give another player an opportunity to contribute.

Hey, look at that, actually answering the question. :yo:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Gazdic by my eye has been much improved as a hockey player this season. I think some forget how little time he has actually spent being able to develop himself as a hockey player, not just a face puncher. He busted his butt this off season to become a better hockey player and it shows, hes quicker, can make a play with the puck and contribute to the cycle game.

Judging him based off point production makes as much sense as judging a bottom pairing shut down Dman solely on point production. As long as he isnt causing goal against I see no reason to take him off the roster considering the value he adds to the skilled players confidence and lockr room presence.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Gazdic by my eye has been much improved as a hockey player this season. I think some forget how little time he has actually spent being able to develop himself as a hockey player, not just a face puncher. He busted his butt this off season to become a better hockey player and it shows, hes quicker, can make a play with the puck and contribute to the cycle game.

Don't you have to have the puck in the other team's end for the cycle game to work? Kinda rules Gazdic out.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Of those 5 players that you managed to name out of hundreds I wouldn't want two of them on my club (Prust & Dorsett) and don't think that Reeves is any better of a hockey player than Gazdic, he just plays on a superior club that can hide his weaknesses better. Remember Eakins didnt believe in trying to match lines, he would throw Gazdic and co. over the boards to be feasted on by other teams top lines.

People wonder why a high price was paid for Kessey (Reider) and Moroz (2nd round pick), those types of guys are hard to find, and only 1/10 actually seems to become a useful NHLer

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Yes, 100% for sure he should be an oiler this year and probably next year as well. The better McDavid gets the more he will be targeted. Not to mention other Oilers that have had to do such stupid things as 'stick up for yourself and fight' seeing as both Hall and RNH got hurt in fights.

Heck McDavid broke his hand last year in junior because he fought.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Don't you have to have the puck in the other team's end for the cycle game to work? Kinda rules Gazdic out.

Have you watched the games he has played in this year? Some of the longest sustained cycles the Oilers have had have been when he was on the ice. Kinda guessing you made up your mind on the player before the season started.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Remember all the times McDavid been targeted this year? Uhh either do I

u mein Neither? Its got nothing to do with Gazdic ..Give your head a shake if you think Gazdic is the deterring force stopping opponents from targeting McDavid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad