Should Luke Gazdic be an Oiler after this year?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I wish to see Gazdic in more of a Matt Martin mold...Martin does have better skills...but im thinking more in physicality. Martin is very assertive physically every shift..Gazdic will have 1 shift like that per game..then wander around the rest of TOI doing not much.

Matt Martin (UFA at the end of the year) is another guy I'd happily add to this team.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Thought I'd bump this thread. Third period against the Flyers, Draisaitl takes a stick to the face, Hall gets hit from behind and the Flyers in general start running around a bit.

9 games played, -4 0g 0a 0p 4 shots, only 11 hits...

Still waiting for him to do something out there. He's a detriment every time he steps on the ice and has no physical presence in the game. Can't take a pass, can't give a pass, can't skate with the puck, can't shoot the puck, is just generally behind every play. Fighting some random plug once every 5 games certainly isn't doing anything to help this team.

Pretty clear from last game that a guy like Gazdic isn't going to stop other teams from taking runs at star players. So if he brings literally nothing else to the team... what's he here for?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Thought I'd bump this thread. Third period against the Flyers, Draisaitl takes a stick to the face, Hall gets hit from behind and the Flyers in general start running around a bit.

Still waiting for him to do something out there. He's a detriment every time he steps on the ice and has no physical presence in the game. Can't take a pass, can't give a pass, can't skate with the puck, can't shoot the puck, is just generally behind every play. Fighting some random plug once every 5 games certainly isn't doing anything to help this team.

Pretty clear from last game that a guy like Gazdic isn't going to stop other teams from taking runs at star players. So if he brings literally nothing else to the team... what's he here for?

Good bump.

I'm not sure if Gazdic even hit the ice in the third to be honest. Clearly McLellan doesn't trust him to take a regular shift. When in the lineup he's only playing 4-6 minutes usually.

I've seen a couple people defending his relatively low plus minus. Well... Yeah. He's only playing 5 minutes a night.

Gazdic at -4 at around 50 minutes total ice time is much more concerning than, say, Korpikoski at -4, because Korpikoski plays triple the minutes.

Not that plus minus counts for beans, but I'd much rather a guy like Pakarinen get a full time spot, or like I said above, chase a hitting machine like Matt Martin.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I really want to like the guy, I really do. Met him the other day. Swell guy. Big body, head in the right place, his teammates love him, but I don't think he can play in this league.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
This is why I actually like the idea of trading for Hartnell or someone similar. These useless goons serve no purpose, you need actual players that don't take **** and stick up for their teammates. We just don't have enough of that, there's a couple beauties on the Oilers but we need more in the top 9.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I still like having a heavyweight on the team, however Gazdic has too much of Laraque in him minus the skill. He's a gentle giant until the gloves come off. I was honestly thinking that we'd be better off with John Scott because at least he adds some crazy and scares the crap out of players. I'd give an arm and a leg to get a guy like Reaves. Too bad we didn't land Clifford for Gagner :(

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008
I think you give Gazdic his chance to either prove he belongs here or not. It's really early in the season; if he can prove to provide more than beatings on the ice I wouldn't mind giving him another look.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Gadzic is absolutely/positively/100%/Grade A/To a tee useless. A guy like Derek Doresett is 100x better. That guy can actually play hockey and hit people everywhere. We need a clone of him (just not the contract).

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think you give Gazdic his chance to either prove he belongs here or not. It's really early in the season; if he can prove to provide more than beatings on the ice I wouldn't mind giving him another look.

We're three years into this players career. If he was going to provide something other than a fight ever 1/2 dozen games he'd have shown even the slightest of inklings of it by now.

This teams bottom 6 does not have the depth to have a player like Gazdic only able to play 5 minutes a night.

If we're going to have a player who can't actually play hockey (which in itself I have a huge problem with) at least have it be someone who is going to go out there and throw their body around at every single opportunity. Gazdic either refuses to do that, or can't do it because he's too slow.

Just think about how much more effective the bottom 6 would be if we had another veteran player like Hendricks. Someone who can go out there and throw the body around, can play some reasonable minutes and actually has some hockey sense out there. And these guys aren't that hard to find. We just never manage to get enough of them.

Last edited:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

I voted yes earlier, but after watching him do absolutely nothing when we get bullied, and cheap shotted this year I'm not feeling the same way I did before. He isn't even scrapping with anyone this year. **** up some dirtbags that deserve it or gtfo. Tired of having enforcers that don't enforce.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
I fond enforcers 100% useless now. We need a**holes like Steve Ott, etc. He's old, but a younger version. Gadzic is just a guy who laces up his skates and skates around a few minutes on NHL ice and gets paid.

He has no good qualities besides making Hall and co some good meals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad