Should Joe Thornton pull a Ray Bourque in an attempt to win the Stanley Cup?

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
The Sharks are still a strong team. I see them contending in the West again this year, and they could make a final again.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Name one single team that can fit Thornton in AND is more of a contender than the Sharks currently are.

Exactly.

Not to mention, the idea of the Sharks being too old is goofy. Their leading playoff scorers are 27 and 32, their best defensemen are 29 and 31, and their starting goalie is 26. Some of their supporting players are older (Marleau and Ward are still effective), but there's always young guys like Hertl and Donskoi to help keep things fresh.

If any older stars should try jumping ship to win a Cup, it's the Sedins.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
He could sign for less in LA and be a complimentary player between Kopitar and Carter (center-depth). ...that is until the Sharks made the final for the first time.

Now in his mind he can keep making the same money, I'm pretty sure the Sharks would re-sign him for the same amount at least, and he'd still be on a team that can make the final.

The Sharks will need to fail badly in the playoffs this year or miss entirely for Joe to change his mind.

Habernack

BookHockey
Feb 10, 2010
Toronto
Montreal obviously

get ready for it......

DD, Emelin & Condon for Big Joe

Edit: and a 5th

Last edited:

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Name one single team that can fit Thornton in AND is more of a contender than the Sharks currently are.

One thing you have to consider is you have to have other teams rosters VS San Jose's WITHOUT Thornton. Without him, I think at least a few teams are better. At the deadline, his CAP HIT wouldn't matter all that much. A team that comes to mind is Nashville.

Hypothetically speaking:
If Nashville traded futures (picks/prospects) for Thornton, they would be a better team than the current SJS team IMO.

That said, With Thornton SJS is about as much of a contender as you can get. I dont see why he would want to jump ship at the deadline. Maybe as a UFA I guess.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It doesn't work that way nowadays. Cap era and reasons.

I seriously wish Joe to win it with San Jose.

Apocalypse Dude

"Value"
Jul 25, 2012
Nova Scotia
He is on a contending team; but I think he will eventually chase it on a team where he can come in, and be complimentary.

My guess is Winnipeg in 2-2.5 years; they have a team ready to pop.

Ehlers-Shef-Laine
Connor-Thort-Wheeler

Would love to see this. Although I have a feeling he's retiring a Shark, with or without a cup.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Going somewhere else than SJ might actually lower his chances for a Cup.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Is this a joke I don't get? Sharks were 2 wins away from the cup last year and got better in the offseason.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He's on a team that just went to the finals. Bourque was on a team in a rebuild. Bourque would have had no chance to win the cup had he stayed in Boston. If Thornton were to leave for a team that has a better chance than the Sharks to win, that would essentially mean he would be going to Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Washington, Chicago or St. Louis in my mind, and even then, I think San Jose isn't really a longshot compared to any of those teams. Why ask for a trade when he is already on a contender?

Plus, salary cap. The Avalanche didn't have to worry about the cap. Are there any contending teams with enough space to bring in Big Joe's contract? I don't think so.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
Lots of teams would become better contenders than the Sharks are now if they added Thornton to their lineup.

One thing you have to consider is you have to have other teams rosters VS San Jose's WITHOUT Thornton. Without him, I think at least a few teams are better. At the deadline, his CAP HIT wouldn't matter all that much. A team that comes to mind is Nashville.

Hypothetically speaking:
If Nashville traded futures (picks/prospects) for Thornton, they would be a better team than the current SJS team IMO.

That said, With Thornton SJS is about as much of a contender as you can get. I dont see why he would want to jump ship at the deadline. Maybe as a UFA I guess.

Sometimes the logic on these boards makes me gag in my mouth a little bit.

Of course those teams are going to be better if they add another team's best player on top of their currently constructed roster.

The Sharks would be a better contender than the Penguins are now if the Sharks added Crosby to their roster. The Predators would be a better contender than the Blackhawks if they added Toews to their roster. The Capitals would be a better contender than the Bolts if they added Hedman to their roster.

Etc. etc.

So why doesn't every star player demand a trade to another team?

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Being one of the best players/leaders on a team that consistently chokes. Ya he deserves his fair share of criticism. This was the first year I actually thought he played really well, but yet again, disappeared in the finals.

Define "choke", because Pittsburgh was obviously the better team....oh and Crosby And Thornton had the same stats....so maybe it wasn't Joe but for the most part, the rest of the Sharks,

The criticism he gets isn't fair but most people are uneducated about the Sharks like yourself

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
The only way I see this happening is if San Jose implodes before the deadline.

Other than that, San Jose is looking like a cup contender themselves and I think he'll stay.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Another side point - imagine Thornton going through his life thinking "what if" in the scenario where he asked for a trade elsewhere and the Sharks won without him. It's enough to make a man crawl inside a liquor bottle. :laugh:

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Sometimes the logic on these boards makes me gag in my mouth a little bit.

Of course those teams are going to be better if they add another team's best player on top of their currently constructed roster.

The Sharks would be a better contender than the Penguins are now if the Sharks added Crosby to their roster. The Predators would be a better contender than the Blackhawks if they added Toews to their roster. The Capitals would be a better contender than the Bolts if they added Hedman to their roster.

Etc. etc.

So why doesn't every star player demand a trade to another team?

I think you're misunderstanding the logic.

Let's say San Jose is a contender right now and Nashville is a contender right now. If Nashville were to add Jumbo Joe, they would be more of a contender than a San Jose team with Joe. It's not simply because they'd be a better team, but Thornton would have a better chance to win a cup

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
yup, that honor belongs to Marcel Dionne/Peter Stastny.

Thornton's up there with Pat Lafontaine tho. Brad Park, Adam Oates, Gilbert Perreault haven't won a cup either.

Thornton is better than Stastny.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4