Should Joe Thornton pull a Ray Bourque in an attempt to win the Stanley Cup?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
i.e Request a trade to a cup favorite

He would probably go down as the best player ever never to win one. Ovechkin could surpass him in that too, but Ovechkin has some time left with a young contending team.

Joe and the Sharks are most liklely on the downswing at this point. Him and Marleau are getting old and time might have run out in winning in SJ. IMO, Sharks are too old and just not good enough, their window has closed. Yes I know, they just made the SCF last year but I just don't see them repeating it.

Joe's cap hit is a modest 6.5 and not 10.5 like Toews/Kane so he should easily fit onto any team, money wise.

Where would be the prime destination for Joe in this scenario? You'd have to assume almost any team would love to add Joe to their center depth and San Jose would probably due him a favor and trade him to his primary destination if it could work out.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
He'll be a free agent next year. He can jump ship then if he wants to.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
i.e Request a trade to a cup favorite

He would probably go down as the best player ever never to win one. Ovechkin could surpass him in that too, but Ovechkin has some time left with a young contending team.

Joe and the Sharks are most liklely on the downswing at this point. Him and Marleau are getting old and time might have run out in winning in SJ. IMO, Sharks are too old and just not good enough, their window has closed. Yes I know, they just made the SCF last year but I just don't see them repeating it.

Joe's cap hit is a modest 6.5 and not 10.5 like Toews/Kane so he should easily fit onto any team, money wise.

Where would be the prime destination for Joe in this scenario? You'd have to assume almost any team would love to add Joe to their center depth and San Jose would probably due him a favor and trade him to his primary destination if it could work out.

.no.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
You see, where Ray Bourque was a winner stuck on teams that couldn't go the distance, Joe Thornton is a loser who time and time again actively fails to carry his team when they need him to. So even if he pulls a Ray Bourque, the team that gets him will instantly regret it when he pulls a tin man in the playoffs.

Bleeker

Mar 6, 2011
Middle Earth
He actually is in a cup contending team..
Even if Marleau is gone after this season they still have Couture, Pavelski, Hertl, Boedker, Donskoi, Burns, Vlasic, Jones
Add to that Timo Meier who i think will be a top 6 forward in 2017-18
If Big Joe re-sign with the Sharks , lets say a 2 years contract, they will still be contenders

Last edited:

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
He is on a contending team; but I think he will eventually chase it on a team where he can come in, and be complimentary.

My guess is Winnipeg in 2-2.5 years; they have a team ready to pop.

Ehlers-Shef-Laine
Connor-Thort-Wheeler

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
How many teams currently have a better chance at the Cup than Sharks?

In the East propably 1 for sure (Penguins who can't fit him without moving salary back), and 2 maybe teams in Washington and Tampa. None of those 3 are lacking C depth. In the West? None, IMO. Maybe Nashville if they can add Joe for futures.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Cap situations.

Doubt SJ takes useless players for their top line center.

Trading Thornton would mean SJ is rebuilding, a contender would ship some salary back and a bunch of futures.. wouldnt make sense otherwise.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

In the East propably 1 for sure (Penguins who can't fit him without moving salary back), and 2 maybe teams in Washington and Tampa. None of those 3 are lacking C depth. In the West? None, IMO. Maybe Nashville if they can add Joe for futures.

Yea that's the thing. Unless he's willing to walk for pittance after this year, there isn't really anyone that could afford him that'd give him a better shot than the Sharks

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
That would be pretty cool to see something like that again.

Guessing maybe he could end up in Winnipeg or Washington. Could see him going to Washington or Chicago next season depending on how the season looks in San Jose.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
You see, where Ray Bourque was a winner stuck on teams that couldn't go the distance, Joe Thornton is a loser who time and time again actively fails to carry his team when they need him to. So even if he pulls a Ray Bourque, the team that gets him will instantly regret it when he pulls a tin man in the playoffs.

Did you see the hockey in 2016?

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
Players who Disappear when needed the most don't deserve to win a cup. He's not as good as his points indicate. No heart.

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
Ya it's totally Joes fault that the Sharks haven't won a cup. because he's the only player who doesn't show up on the Sharks. Damn him....

:popcorn:

Being one of the best players/leaders on a team that consistently chokes. Ya he deserves his fair share of criticism. This was the first year I actually thought he played really well, but yet again, disappeared in the finals.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Are you kidding? The east has TB pens the Panthers, maybe the caps

The west has the Hawks the kings the press the stars I am even tempted to put Calgary there since they actually have a goalie now and if you add Joe then you have

Monahan
Thornton

Down the middle and THAT would be incredible

Ha there Re a few teams in the west that are better than SJ

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
im not high on San Jose and not sure they can repeat last year's success but still....San Jose based on last year is as much a cup contender as anyone.

Bourque didnt leave the Bruins after they made the cup final...

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Name one single team that can fit Thornton in AND is more of a contender than the Sharks currently are.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Yeah very different circumstances between the climates of the NHL then and now. BOS wasnt going anywhere while SJ is a top contender.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
Yeah very different circumstances between the climates of the NHL then and now. BOS wasnt going anywhere while SJ is a top contender.

this !

Seems like his best chance at grabbing a cup would be to remain with the Sharks. And what cup contending team would have the cap space to sign this guy, even for a year ?! His contract demands would certainly be pretty high. He's sitting at 6 750 000 at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad