Should Joe Thornton pull a Ray Bourque in an attempt to win the Stanley Cup?

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Chocky chocker the Rooster Tamer can't pull a Bourque unless he's on bottom scraping team now like the Bruins.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
No.

I was thoroughly enjoying seeing Bourque without a cup and then I was robbed of that joy, don't take my no cup Thornton joy away.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
The one intriguing possibility I could think of would be Nashville. They have $6.6M in cap space available, so they could acquire him essentially entirely for futures. It's hard to say whether or not Nashville+Thornton would be better than San Jose is currently, but you could definitely make a case for that line-up being one of the top 2 or 3 contenders for the Cup.

An often understated part of SJ's contending window is the lack of competition in the Pacific.

In the Central Jumbo Joe would have to go through Chicago/St. Louis/Dallas which are all teams in their primes.

In the Pacific there's a declining ANA/LA and...not much else.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
You see, where Ray Bourque was a winner stuck on teams that couldn't go the distance, Joe Thornton is a loser who time and time again actively fails to carry his team when they need him to. So even if he pulls a Ray Bourque, the team that gets him will instantly regret it when he pulls a tin man in the playoffs.

Nobody ever seems to mention that Bourque had two chances at the Cup in 1988 and 1990 with Boston.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
If the Sharks aren't in a playoff spot at the TDL, would they consider moving Thornton and or Marleau in a Vermette-style scenario?

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
If the Sharks aren't in a playoff spot at the TDL, would they consider moving Thornton and or Marleau in a Vermette-style scenario?

If the Sharks aren't in a playoff spot at the TDL and Thornton and/or Marleau asked DW to be traded to a contender, DW would certainly do it while getting the best return he could for the Sharks.

Note: the players would have to ask to be traded. They are both pending UFAs with NMC.

That said, I think this is very unrealistic that the Sharks miss the playoffs this year.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
It's unlikely he demands a trade, or a contender has cap space for him, or that a contender wouldn't lose some other major piece of their roster to acquire him. What's interesting is if he signs for some crazy low amount in Chicago/Tampa as a UFA. $2M or something.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Nobody ever seems to mention that Bourque had two chances at the Cup in 1988 and 1990 with Boston.

Bourque pulled a Borque 10-12 years after that though when Boston was clearly dead in the water.

If Bourque had left boston in 89, that would be closer to what this thread is suggesting, at least as far as team prospects.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Not a cup favorite but id love to see joe on the red wings as a wings fan

1Fc7POfPCwus0.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad