Should Jacques Lemaire be in the HOF as a builder?

• Thread starter Tavaresmagicalplay*
  • Start date

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Considering most people think he's the main reason for the start of the dead puck era(other than the huge goalie equipment) and considering some coaches have made it in, do you think he could be inducted?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
He's already in as a player (which is easy to forget as he was overshadowed by at least 5 teammates).

If he wasn't in as a player, I'd think he'd have a good chance.

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
In my opinion, Lemaire is a somewhat similar case to Toe Blake ... a great coach who deserves induction into the builder category but since he's already in the Hall of Fame as a player ....

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Well, he's already in, and if we consider that he did not "invent" the trap, then I just don't see why he'd be in.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Well, he's already in, and if we consider that he did not "invent" the trap, then I just don't see why he'd be in.

He didn't invent it, but he did add his own wrinkles to it (basically he made it much more conservative than the version Bowman used in the 70s), and he definitely popularized it.

Perhaps more importantly was his contribution in creating the powerhouse in NJ that lasted over a decade.

He'd have a very good case to be inducted as a builder if he wasn't already as a player.

For the record, I think Pat Burns was better purely as a coach, but Lemaire definitely had a much bigger part in "building" the team.

Goalie Guru*

Of course he should be in as a builder.

He singlehandedly built Roy and Brodeurs careers by fooling millions into thinking it was the goaltending that reduced goals when in fact it was his trap.

And now people think these two goalies were the best ever. Both those goalies should give Lemaire at least half their money. And Lou Lamoriello should give him half his money as well because Lou demands the trap no matter who is coaching his team.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Of course he should be in as a builder.

He singlehandedly built Roy and Brodeurs careers by fooling millions into thinking it was the goaltending that reduced goals when in fact it was his trap.

And now people think these two goalies were the best ever. Both those goalies should give Lemaire at least half their money. And Lou Lamoriello should give him half his money as well because Lou demands the trap no matter who is coaching his team.

You're joking right? Because if you aren't, Roy was never coached by Lemaire. Brodeur was from 1993-'98. But he won two of his Cups and all of his Vezinas without him. Just saying.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

i agree with this he didn't invent the trap or rule over the officiating during the "dead puck era" which is another stolen though from baseball and really should be called "the clutch and grab era were rules were not enforced" and a sad truth to the joke that Bettman has been as a Commish during his time. He must have pictures of someone somewhere...

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Whatever part of the HOF, he ought to be IN it, which he is, as a player.

Any Hall of Fame worth its salt ought to recognize and remember those who were important to the game. Should history remember him? is the litmus test. The answer I believe is yes. Since he's in as a player, ought he be double dipped? that's another matter.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Roy / Lemaire

You're joking right? Because if you aren't, Roy was never coached by Lemaire. Brodeur was from 1993-'98. But he won two of his Cups and all of his Vezinas without him. Just saying.

Yes Roy was coached by Lemaire:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/MTL/1985.html

Patrick Roy played one period as an emergency junior call-up. Not much but does not qualify as a never.

Scott1980

Apr 27, 2010
Toronto
In for sure as a player and a coach, if you ask me!

Wow, you learn something new everyday. Roy played 20 min of his first game and got the win facing 2 shots? I gotta see that!

Goalie Guru*

20 minutes of hockey...............fine then, still wouldn't make an impact though which was the point

Lemaire introduced the trap to Montreal in 1984 and Montreal stuck with it when Lemaire went back to his Montreal head office job. The trap makes goalies look good.

Remember, The Canadiens did win the Cup with Roy in 1986 when the Canadiens ended 7th overall in the league. But they only had to beat the 8th place Bruins, the 11th place Whalers, the 14th place Rangers, and the 6th place Flames to win the Cup.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Question: Is anyone in the Hockey Hall of Fame in both the player and builder categories?

Not aware of anyone.

Aurel Joliat

May 21, 2010
Ottawa, ON, CA
When you are introducted as a player, you don't need to be as a builder.
For exemple, Jack Laviolette who was the first builder of the Canadiens in 1909. They honored him as a player and I think it's the same case with Lemaire

Tavaresmagicalplay*

When you are introducted as a player, you don't need to be as a builder.
For exemple, Jack Laviolette who was the first builder of the Canadiens in 1909. They honored him as a player and I think it's the same case with Lemaire

And I don't get that. Why not? Lemaire is an all time great coach, why can't he be recognized for that just because he's already been recognized for his playing career.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
certainly could be

lemaire was important in creating the team D of '80s-'90s habs and '90s-'00s NJD, which were adopted, at least in part, by almost every team.

but no one has been inducted as a builder and player, not even lester patrick.

Question: Is anyone in the Hockey Hall of Fame in both the player and builder categories?

Not aware of anyone.

i thought lester patrick is, but he is not. he probably should be. jack adams also.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Should be. 1 of the top coaches of the past 2 decades. Look at the turn around in New Jersey the past few months to see how good a coach this guy is.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Lemaire introduced the trap to Montreal in 1984 and Montreal stuck with it when Lemaire went back to his Montreal head office job. The trap makes goalies look good.

Remember, The Canadiens did win the Cup with Roy in 1986 when the Canadiens ended 7th overall in the league. But they only had to beat the 8th place Bruins, the 11th place Whalers, the 14th place Rangers, and the 6th place Flames to win the Cup.

You really ought to watch the highlights of Roy in the 1986 playoffs. He was unstoppable. It is clear to me that the Habs were a product of Roy starting in 1986 all the way until he got traded. He's the best with most people for a reason.

Blizzard

Feb 22, 2010
I don't think his impact is that big on Roy's legacy but anyone who doubts that Brodeur is largely a part of the system and the wide array of great defenseman that has played in front of him is fooling themselves. He's without a doubt a very good goaltender regardless but was taken to the HOF level because of the Jersey style and some magnificent defensive corps.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
I don't think his impact is that big on Roy's legacy but anyone who doubts that Brodeur is largely a part of the system and the wide array of great defenseman that has played in front of him is fooling themselves. He's without a doubt a very good goaltender regardless but was taken to the HOF level because of the Jersey style and some magnificent defensive corps.
Even if he is a "product of the system and wide array of great defensman", even then he is still a TOP 10 goalie of all-time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad