Should I talk to another kid's parents?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I had an encounter with the mother of a kid on my daughter’s 3-3 summer team.

Her son is a good player and this is the second year I’ve watched him as my daughter played on this team last summer.

He is a puck hog though, and for his sake someone needs to tell him to share the puck.

During the conversation with his mom, it became evident through casual questions she thought her son was the best player on the team and didn’t need to share the puck.

Basically the just of it was he has a better chance of scoring a goal than anyone he’d pass to.

We had a nice talk, but this encounter completely reinforced my earlier advice that you keep your thoughts to yourself about other kids.
About 7 or 8 years ago my son played on a 3 on3 team with a guy like that. And most of these players are pretty good, club level players. The guys got tired of one player that decided he was going to be a hot dog. They decided to go offside every time he had the puck. Was funnier than heck and changed how the little wiener played. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
About 7 or 8 years ago my son played on a 3 on3 team with a guy like that. And most of these players are pretty good, club level players. The guys got tired of one player that decided he was going to be a hot dog. They decided to go offside every time he had the puck. Was funnier than heck and changed how the little wiener played. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

When I was younger I played an outdoor pick up game with a guy that literally never passed.

Everyone was bitching behind his back, but I had enough after I was wide open for a breakaway and he just hung onto the puck trying to smoke 3-4 guys.

So I just sat on the ice and yelled loud as f*** “dude never passes so why bother getting open”.

Everyone was laughing at his wannabe superstar ass and he finally got the message.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
When I was younger I played an outdoor pick up game with a guy that literally never passed.

Everyone was bitching behind his back, but I had enough after I was wide open for a breakaway and he just hung onto the puck trying to smoke 3-4 guys.

So I just sat on the ice and yelled loud as f*** “dude never passes so why bother getting open”.

Everyone was laughing at his wannabe superstar ass and he finally got the message.
When I first started playing football, coach was explaining that in order to score a TD, all 11 players have to do their job. Anyone who thinks it doesn't take 11 players, let me know. I will call a play for you to get the ball and tell everyone else not to block, and then good luck!

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
At the younger ages, some kids just want to score goals and they get total tunnel vision and only focus on that. It kind of is what is and I wouldn’t intervene as a non-coach parent. As they get older to more “serious” levels around age 11, they’ll need to adapt or they’ll fizzle out. Fortunately that’s also around when kids become more emotionally mature and can start to see the bigger picture more.

And then they revert back to their childlike selfishness when they grow up and play beer league.

• Haha
Reactions: jetsmooseice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad