Should Hemsky be re-signed?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Which would speak more to loyalty than hopping teams that pay him more.

There's also a difference between RFA and UFA.

Hemsky is a good guy, but expecting anyone to leave a bunch of money on the table when they hit UFA is really wishful thinking.

It would be nice to keep him, but I doubt we could afford it, and I have a funny feeling he will get a contract that drastically overpays him.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
What teams have the cap space to realistically sign him? Islanders, Florida, Buffalo, Colorado, Nashville, Dallas, Ottawa.

Then you have to look at who has space in their top 6 for him and how the team is trending. In Ottawa he'll have the chance to play on the 1st line with Spezza plus be on a team that SHOULD make the playoffs next season.

The Fuhr*

Guys, Ales Hemsky signed in Edmonton year after year after year. Can we please keep the doomsday predictions to a minimum?

He signed a 6/24 year deal with Oilers and then took 2/10

Now is a 30 year old UFA... It was not like he was taking one year deals just to stay an Oiler

The Fuhr*

What teams have the cap space to realistically sign him? Islanders, Florida, Buffalo, Colorado, Nashville, Dallas, Ottawa.

Then you have to look at who has space in their top 6 for him and how the team is trending. In Ottawa he'll have the chance to play on the 1st line with Spezza plus be on a team that SHOULD make the playoffs next season.

Pittsburgh has cap space and a roster spot along Crosby

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/big-questions-about-the-big-line

“We’re having meetings now (between his agent and Senators general manager Bryan Murray) and we’ll see what’s going on. I’ve got to know what’s the future here and what they’re thinking and I will go from there. It’s just a few talks, nothing really big. I’m not rushing anything. I will see my options.â€

Hemsky is in position to strike it rich, but he says it’s not all about cold, hard cash.

“It’s the first time I will be a free agent, if it comes to it. I just want to play for a good team, a winning team, because I’ve missed the playoffs for the last eight years. I just want to play in te playoffs. That’s my goal.â€

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

If Colorado goes on a run in this playoffs, they'd probably be the most attractive destination. Dallas is on the rise as well.

Big decision.

The Fuhr*

http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/big-questions-about-the-big-line

“We’re having meetings now (between his agent and Senators general manager Bryan Murray) and we’ll see what’s going on. I’ve got to know what’s the future here and what they’re thinking and I will go from there. It’s just a few talks, nothing really big. I’m not rushing anything. I will see my options.â€

Hemsky is in position to strike it rich, but he says it’s not all about cold, hard cash.

“It’s the first time I will be a free agent, if it comes to it. I just want to play for a good team, a winning team, because I’ve missed the playoffs for the last eight years. I just want to play in the playoffs. That’s my goal.â€

After he finds out we are a budget team he's gone

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
Hemsky is going to Pittsburgh. Why would he turn down a chance to play with Crosby or Malkin and be on a team that's guaranteed to be a cup contender for the distant future? After rotting away in Edmonton and missing the playoffs for so long you can't blame the guy. Also Hemsky is a great playmaker and he could set up Crosby/Malkin for a lot of goals. The problem I have with Spezza offensively is he doesn't shoot enough so sometimes it's frustrating seeing Hemsky/Spezza both passing too much. At least Crosby/Malkin love to shoot and I wish Spezza would take their cue because he does have a great shot though he misses way too much.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I love how it's a foregone conclusion he's going to Pittsburgh. Let the doom and gloom continue!

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
There's also a difference between RFA and UFA.

Hemsky is a good guy, but expecting anyone to leave a bunch of money on the table when they hit UFA is really wishful thinking.

It would be nice to keep him, but I doubt we could afford it, and I have a funny feeling he will get a contract that drastically overpays him.
Of course -- you can't expect someone to ignore a ton of cash being thrown their way. At the same time, there's precedent for players leaving behind money to sign somewhere they feel they're a good fit.

Hemsky wants to make the playoffs, no doubt. He hasn't been in years. I think that will be the major consideration and, if he thinks Ottawa can make the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised to see him re-sign.
He signed a 6/24 year deal with Oilers and then took 2/10

Now is a 30 year old UFA... It was not like he was taking one year deals just to stay an Oiler
And it's not like he'd be taking a one-year deal to stay a Sen, either. I'm not sure I see your point here, Fuhr.
After he finds out we are a budget team he's gone
Surely he already knows. His head's not buried in the sand.
Hemsky is going to Pittsburgh. Why would he turn down a chance to play with Crosby or Malkin and be on a team that's guaranteed to be a cup contender for the distant future? After rotting away in Edmonton and missing the playoffs for so long you can't blame the guy. Also Hemsky is a great playmaker and he could set up Crosby/Malkin for a lot of goals. The problem I have with Spezza offensively is he doesn't shoot enough so sometimes it's frustrating seeing Hemsky/Spezza both passing too much. At least Crosby/Malkin love to shoot and I wish Spezza would take their cue because he does have a great shot though he misses way too much.
Oh, okay. Sorry. Guess we should all just stop debating. And here I thought it wasn't yet decided. :(

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I love how it's a foregone conclusion he's going to Pittsburgh. Let the doom and gloom continue!

Since I brought up Pittsburgh

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that he's going to the Penguins

Just said that we know they were looking at Hemsky at the deadline and if he hits UFA and has to choose between Ottawa and Pittsburgh it isn't a particularly difficult decision unless we offer more money and/or term.

Senafan

May 17, 2013
If I were a betting man, I'd put money on Hemsky leaving. Post season interviews are giving off a payday vibe. Whether that's for money or cup opportunity, can't blame him.

Hope he stays though.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa

Are they a cup contender? I don't believe so. They might have a couple of Elite players but they're lacking too many pieces to be considered a contender

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Why do we want a player that only wants to be here because of 1 player?

I want a player to sign with the Sens because he wants to win with the Sens.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I can't get over people want 19-9-83 to get a crack at an 82 game season. ALl 3 guys are used cars who are well over 200k. Really hope we do a blow it up rebuild and let Stone, Prince, Hoffman, Z-bad, Lazar etc. get top line minutes. People keep pointing to Edmonton as a defense as to not go that route, but what about the Avalanche?

Those post are amongst my favorites... Sens fans can't even survive in a season where they barely miss the playoffs. How do you think it would go if the team was really horrible for years (like more than what we have seen in last 18 years)? :laugh:

And I can't get over people who want to blow everything up after one average season. ONE. Let's rebuild everytime we fail to make the playoffs!

:laugh: This

Well. Bye Hemsky.

Did you seriously expect a NHL player not trying to negotiate and put himself in a good leverage position?

Can we please keep the doomsday predictions to a minimum?

No sorry, it doesn't fit on this board. Just do your moderating work

:sarcasm:

If you don't panic like a 8 y/o girl, then you're probably delusional

If the organization makes a commitment to spezza, I could definitely see hemsky staying. He claims his top priority is making the playoffs and second is playing with an elite centre. He loves playing with spezza and if we makes a few changes to our blue line and macleans system I've to no doubt we'll b a playoff team next year

Hemsky knows we aren't that far off and with all the kids he played with, he knows that it is more about the future than the present (made the playoffs the 2 previous years with a very young team well below the salary cap). It's up to him and the faith he has in this group, with a few more tweaks of course

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
We should just clone Hemsky so that we can sign Hemskys clone and the real Hemsky can go sign with a cup contender. Now that sounds like a plan.

John Holmes*

We didn't "barely miss the playoffs"

We've been out since November and put together a little streak when it didn't matter.

Hemsky won't be signing here. Acquiring him in the first place was pointless.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
We didn't "barely miss the playoffs"

We've been out since November and put together a little streak when it didn't matter.

Hemsky won't be signing here. Acquiring him in the first place was pointless.

Agree with the first part, but disagree with the bolded part. Getting Hemsky helped entertain the fans, which is actually the point. He also raised Spezza's game and helped to show that Spezza is still lethal when playing with the right winger. Believe me, the increase in Spezza's value due to the Hemsky time at the end of the season is going to be worth more than the 3rd and 5th picks which are in the 90+ percent category of amounting to nothing.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Agree with the first part, but disagree with the bolded part. Getting Hemsky helped entertain the fans, which is actually the point. He also raised Spezza's game and helped to show that Spezza is still lethal when playing with the right winger. Believe me, the increase in Spezza's value due to the Hemsky time at the end of the season is going to be worth more than the 3rd and 5th picks which are in the 90+ percent category of amounting to nothing.
Agreed. If Melnyk would just pony up a little more cash to keep the Michalek, Spezza & Hemsky line together plus Ottawa would still have the Turris line & Hoffman, Zibby & Stone would create a decent 3rd scoring line, this could be a decent team with some high scorers on it. It comes down to Melnyk & whether he will spend to keep together a decent team, I don't think he will.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Hemsky with Spezza.
Stone with Turris.
Ryan with Zibanejad.
Neil with Smith.
Condra on left wing OR with someone else.
Lazar with Bingo.

Zbad was played as our 4th line center most of the year, so you're essentially benching Ryan if put with Zbad and coaching trends continue.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Zbad was played as our 4th line center most of the year, so you're essentially benching Ryan if put with Zbad and coaching trends continue.
I'd play Stone with Zibanejad, they used to be together on Bingo's 1st line along with Hoffman Why can't they be Ottawa's 3rd line & create another scoring line?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad