Should Hemsky be re-signed?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah and Alfy was 6th round, and Karlsson 15th overall. Doesn't mean if you're not top 5 draft pick you're a complete bust.

If none of our organizational talent has top 6 depth than I guess we might as well get another winger to play with Spezza so we can get another mid-ranking finish and draft another 10th-20th overall draft pick.

Makes perfect sense, right?

So because Alfie and Karlsson weren't top 3 picks and both ended up to be top line guys, that means everyone we have in our system that was drafted later are top line guys? And why does it matter if we draft 10th-20th, aren't you saying that top line guys come from anywhere, not just the top end?

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
If Hemsky & Spezza both stay I'll go out on a limb and predict that Spezza nets 30+ (75+ games played). Hell I think Hemsky could crack 60+ points again if they play together for a good chunk of the season.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Yeah and Alfy was 6th round, and Karlsson 15th overall. Doesn't mean if you're not top 5 draft pick you're a complete bust.

If none of our organizational talent has top 6 depth than I guess we might as well get another winger to play with Spezza so we can get another mid-ranking finish and draft another 10th-20th overall draft pick.

it has nothing to do with draft potential. It has to do with how they are projected and how well they have played.

has lazar played like a franchise talent in the CHL? no probably not he looks like he COULD be a top 6 player. Has Zibby put up top line center numbers in the past? nope do experts and fans think he can be a top center? it is unlikely he seems to be projects to be a number 2 center at this point who brings a complete toolbox.

Stone has put up numbers in the past and could be a good player but i dont see a top line winger but that is just me.

Top line players like Spezza are generally special in the CHL and then quickly come into the nhl and put up pts

sure anyone can be a karlsson but we shouldnt trade spezza before Zibby proves that he can be a franchise center now should we?

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
I can't get over people want 19-9-83 to get a crack at an 82 game season. ALl 3 guys are used cars who are well over 200k. Really hope we do a blow it up rebuild and let Stone, Prince, Hoffman, Z-bad, Lazar etc. get top line minutes. People keep pointing to Edmonton as a defense as to not go that route, but what about the Avalanche?

IMO a team with Karlsson, Turris, Ryan, MacArthur, Spezza and Hemsky on it is way closer to the top of the Eastern conference than the bottom. It would take 3-5 years at the bottom of the standings to to replace those guys even if you take out Karlsson and Turris.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Don ****ing Brennan.

"Do you look at a team like Pittsburgh, who has players like Bennett and Stepniak playing with Crosby and knowing they will be looking for a winger, does that factor into things?"

why don't you just drive him down yourself Don?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He's absolutely right though, and that doesn't happen all that often

If I'm Hemsky and Pittsburgh offers a contract I'm going to be listening carefully

Thing is Pittsburgh has to think about the cap while we don't so we may be able to offer more money IF Melnyk is ok with spending

The Fuhr*

He probably priced himself out of Ottawa with the way he ended the season.

I'm sure somebody out there will give him 5/25

UFA is ridiculous

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
IMO they can afford to give him 5 years at $5 million AAV. All they have to do is let Michalek walk. Spezza and Hemsky were basically just bouncing pucks off him into the net anyways, so the dropoff to Puempel won't be terribly big.

SadlyI think they'll probably re-sign Michalek first for something like $3.5-4.5 million AAV, then say they can't re-sign Hemsky because they don't have enough money.

Oct 10, 2010
So you'd rather the Senators fold than play at a budget?

Seriously? lol

Not serious, but ...

It's non sense that FLa is going to be spending to the cap and we're Canadian market with a top 5 player making peanuts with tones of cap space and we likely can't afford Ales ****ing Hemsky.

I hate being a ****ing budget team.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Hemsky is going to get at least 6 million on the open market. Florida, NYI, Nashville come to mind. If he really wants to win like he said he will take 4 million.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Not serious, but ...

It's non sense that FLa is going to be spending to the cap and we're Canadian market with a top 5 player making peanuts with tones of cap space and we likely can't afford Ales ****ing Hemsky.

I hate being a ****ing budget team.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but being a Canadian team is not a great thing right now in terms of money. The dollar is going to keep going down. It's going to literally sap hundreds of millions from the NHL's profit margins. We pay our players in USD.

John Holmes*

If freaking David Clarkson got 7 years / $35 Million, someone will pay Hemsky at least that much.

He won't be back.

Jan 24, 2006
Ottawa
He probably priced himself out of Ottawa with the way he ended the season.

I'm sure somebody out there will give him 5/25

UFA is ridiculous

He is not signing in Ottawa. The guy can get more for longer in a warmer town. It's not like Ottawa is a playoff team. They will be rebuilding for another 2-3 years. He has no reason to stay in Ottawa.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
If the organization makes a commitment to spezza, I could definitely see hemsky staying. He claims his top priority is making the playoffs and second is playing with an elite centre. He loves playing with spezza and if we makes a few changes to our blue line and macleans system I've to no doubt we'll b a playoff team next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad