Should Galchenyuk Start the First 25 Games Next Season As Second Line Center

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Pretty sure he said you must draft and develop them centers. As for the Price comparison, he's merely hinting to everyone that 6'4 centers that can score are usually not for sale unless they're old and overpaid, and when one does come up, there's an bidding war.
There are exceptions to the rule, but those come around as often as a solar eclipse. Having said all that, here's hoping Bergevin is able to aquire one without having to give up McCarron or Scherbak

His best bet is to trade for a top6 winger, move DD and use Galch-Plek as his top 2 centers. The team needs to win or lose with Galch at center. There's no way of getting around it.

I agree that he should definitely not give up McCarron or Scherbak. At least one will he a full time Hab by Christmas.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
His best bet is to trade for a top6 winger, move DD and use Galch-Plek as his top 2 centers. The team needs to win or lose with Galch at center. There's no way of getting around it.

Disagree. There are other options at center and Galchenyuk becoming a solid top-6 scoring winger is just as beneficial for the team. This crazy obsession with Galchenyuk at center or nothing has to stop... It makes zero sense.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Disagree. There are other options at center and Galchenyuk becoming a solid top-6 scoring winger is just as beneficial for the team. This crazy obsession with Galchenyuk at center or nothing has to stop... It makes zero sense.

What are the other options at center?

What makes zero sense to me is that we have 2 players centering our top 6 when one should be on the third line or worst case 2nd line and the other should not even be on the team.

Keep in mind that our cup window just opened and will be closing in the very near future.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston

Really, it makes ZERO sense?

He played some of his best hockey at C last season. We all saw that it was there. When he has C'd Gally in the past, it was explosive hockey. His skill set is so much more suited to C. The OHL is not the NHL, you can get away with playing wing -- there's much more time and less difficulty beating D men to the outside or cutting to the inside. As a playmaker, we've seen him use his options deftly. As a winger, he seems to just be plugging away in vein, lacking in creativity, which must be very frustrating.

There are so many reasons why many, myself included are obsessed with him playing C, even if he makes tons of mistakes at the start.

I'm not saying I would mind Eller in that spot for now, but we first need to rid ourselves of el leprechaunus.

What makes zero sense is the degree to which MB/MT have gone out of their way to state that they don't know if he'd ever be a good centerman. That's just plain ridiculous, I still can't believe he said that.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
What are the other options at center?

What makes zero sense to me is that we have 2 players centering our top 6 when one should be on the third line or worst case 2nd line and the other should not even be on the team.

Keep in mind that our cup window just opened and will be closing in the very near future.

It's not because the other options aren't currently on the team that they don't exist. I agree that we need a better solution for the first line centre but I'm far from convinced that Galchenyuk is the guy for the job.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Really, it makes ZERO sense?

He played some of his best hockey at C last season. We all saw that it was there. When he has C'd Gally in the past, it was explosive hockey. His skill set is so much more suited to C. The OHL is not the NHL, you can get away with playing wing -- there's much more time and less difficulty beating D men to the outside or cutting to the inside. As a playmaker, we've seen him use his options deftly. As a winger, he seems to just be plugging away in vein, lacking in creativity, which must be very frustrating.

There are so many reasons why many, myself included are obsessed with him playing C, even if he makes tons of mistakes at the start.

I'm not saying I would mind Eller in that spot for now, but we first need to rid ourselves of el leprechaunus.

What makes zero sense is the degree to which MB/MT have gone out of their way to state that they don't know if he'd ever be a good centerman. That's just plain ridiculous, I still can't believe he said that.

If you read my post again, you'll see that I said that the 'Galchenyuk or nothing' diatribe is nonsensical.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
If you read my post again, you'll see that I said that the 'Galchenyuk or nothing' diatribe is nonsensical.

What does the "nothing" entail? Not having a C? I have yet to encounter that argument.

More like Galchenyuk at C or this organization is a clown show. I think Eller would be a great promotion to 1/2C, however it would have to involve removing DD and having Chucky at C as well.

I think it's better phrased as "Now or never." Given MB's comments, that never comment actually seems realistic.

Having him develop at wing just seems like a massive waste of one of our biggest opportunities. And I really don't think he's suited for it.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
What does the "nothing" entail? Not having a C? I have yet to encounter that argument.

More like Galchenyuk at C or this organization is a clown show. I think Eller would be a great promotion to 1/2C, however it would have to involve removing DD and having Chucky at C as well.

I think it's better phrased as "Now or never." Given MB's comments, that never comment actually seems realistic.

Having him develop at wing just seems like a massive waste of one of our biggest opportunities. And I really don't think he's suited for it.

I was quoting the following: "The team needs to win or lose with Galch at center. There's no way of getting around it."

Tell me, what qualities do you think a player needs to be a successful first line center?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I was quoting the following: "The team needs to win or lose with Galch at center. There's no way of getting around it."

Tell me, what qualities do you think a player needs to be a successful first line center?

I'd prefer to give Chucky centre position on the second or third line to start, reducing the pressure of being on the first. He could centre the second PP line as well.

Once he gets confidence and is comfortable at that position, by all means move him up.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
It's not because the other options aren't currently on the team that they don't exist. I agree that we need a better solution for the first line centre but I'm far from convinced that Galchenyuk is the guy for the job.

Could you expand on this a bit? You seem to be saying that there's no rush to put Galchenyuk at center because better options exist...on other teams :huh:

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I don't necessarily think Galchenyuk needs to be at center (though I do think his skill set is better suited to C), but I do think he needs more offensive opportunities, however they come along.

If Therrien keeps insisting on trotting out Pac-DD for every offensive zone faceoff, why not put Galchenyuk out there as well on RW? Then once he gets better at faceoffs he can be transitioned to C from there.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Could you expand on this a bit? You seem to be saying that there's no rush to put Galchenyuk at center because better options exist...on other teams :huh:

There's no rush to put Galchenyuk in the position of #1 center. Other options may exist on other teams... Guys like Eric Staal or Ryan O'Reilly are examples.

I have nothing with him playing center by any means but I don't have a problem with him on the wing either. In fact, I think his game is better suited for the wing for the time being.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Why would Staal cost a king's ransom? Player who's declined two years in a row and in his 30's now. Not to mention one of the largest cap hits in the league and an UFA in the summer.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
There's no rush to put Galchenyuk in the position of #1 center. Other options may exist on other teams... Guys like Eric Staal or Ryan O'Reilly are examples.

Again, other teams having "better" centers in no way mitigates the argument that Galchenyuk should be at center, given the current composition of the team.

I have nothing with him playing center by any means but I don't have a problem with him on the wing either. In fact, I think his game is better suited for the wing for the time being.

"For the time being"? What does that mean? Cause it could be seen as you arguing that his game, which is currently "more suited for the wing" is gonna transition into being "more suited for Center" the more he stays on the wing :huh:

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I'd prefer to give Chucky centre position on the second or third line to start, reducing the pressure of being on the first. He could centre the second PP line as well.

Once he gets confidence and is comfortable at that position, by all means move him up.

I think one way or another the habs will have a different look down the middle.

The formula c;early isn't working

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Why would Staal cost a king's ransom? Player who's declined two years in a row and in his 30's now. Not to mention one of the largest cap hits in the league and an UFA in the summer.

The Cap Hit is part of the ransom. And that he still is a big-bodied center capable of producing 60 a year. He'll command a first simply because he is still very good.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
It's possible that Bergevin will trade for a natural center, leaving Galchenyuk as a LW. He hasn't mastered the position and he can't win faceoffs. Incidentally, this affords job insurance to the remaining centers.

realtalk11

Oct 7, 2013
It's possible that Bergevin will trade for a natural center, leaving Galchenyuk as a LW. He hasn't mastered the position and he can't win faceoffs. Incidentally, this affords job insurance to the remaining centers.

He hasn't mastered the position ? Are you ****ing kidding lol he played center for less than 20 games total since he's with mtl. Of course he hasn't mastered the position.

roflmao

sigh

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014

I agree that he should definitely not give up McCarron or Scherbak. At least one will he a full time Hab by Christmas.

Exactly. You can play to try to win every game, or you can play to try to win the last one. Playing Galchenyuk at C might make it harder to win games in the season, but if it pays off, it might be what we need to win the last one in June.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Faceoffs are a minor priority, and regardless all centres start off weak in the circle.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
Exactly. You can play to try to win every game, or you can play to try to win the last one. Playing Galchenyuk at C might make it harder to win games in the season, but if it pays off, it might be what we need to win the last one in June.

You've made the mistake of thinking success in the playoffs is more important than success in the regular season. Or maybe the mistake you've made is thinking that just making the playoffs or winning a single series isn't succeeding in the playoffs.

Either way, I've been assured that 110 points and a Division Title is a far greater success than 95 points or even 100 points, regardless of what subsequently happens in the playoffs. Also, just making the playoffs is a praiseworthy success, plus we got to the ECF once so the party line is that we've been one of the most incredibly, wildly successful franchises since 2012.

You really wanna give up 110 point, Division title winning success for better odds in the playoffs? :skeptic:

:sarcasm:

Odelein24

Sep 17, 2009
Montreal
Most of the "he's not ready to play centre" arguments would probably be moot at this point in time... if he had just been left at centre since making the team.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Most of the "he's not ready to play centre" arguments would probably be moot at this point in time... if he had just been left at centre since making the team.

This is EXACTLY why I'm so disappointed with his development. I know as well as anybody that BargainBin is a conservative manager and Therrien is as far from a risk-taker as there is - they won't go into next season with Bustchenyuk penciled in as a C, it'll be unprecedented for them to make such a bold move. And it leaves us in the lurch we are now: Busty Chucky isn't ready, he isn't in his ideal position and our top6 is entirely off-balance.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

No rush? It will be his fourth year and we have Plek-DD as our top 2 centers. Guys like Staal and O'Reilly, as far as we know, are not available. So no idea how you view them as options. They aren't. If you want to go into the possibilities of who ''may'' become available, then there endless. Heck, Malkin may be an option.

From what we know today, there isn't any interesting options out there. Our best one is Galchenyuk and thankfully for us, he plays for us.

His game is not better suited for the wing. He needs to carry the puck and be involved in the plays as much as possible. He also needs more room to carry the puck.
He will get all of that at center. Using him on the wing, especially considering our top 2 centers, is completely dumb as crap at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad