Should Dubas offer Zach Hyman a contract extension in the offseason and would he sign it?

Should Dubas offer Zach Hyman a contract extension in the offseason and would he sign it?

• Total voters

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The 2020-21 season is the final year of Zach Hyman's 4 year contract. That also means he is eligible to sign a new contract extension instead of becoming a UFA. So knowing that do you think Dubas should try to sign Hyman to a contract extension during the offseason and would Hyman be willing to sign one?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No, Dubas should not go rush into Hyman until we have a comprehensive idea of what the flat cap landscape looks like. If there’s an appetite for stronger players to take a one year wait and see cup hunt type deal this summer and it seems like that will be a common short term trend, you want to have some room to take advantage, and you know you’ll be able to get Hyman cheaper than otherwise.

The last thing we need is for Dubas to be the first out of the gate spending money like a drunken sailor and have other teams learn from his mistakes.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
100% he would be willing to sign one. The issue becomes what will he want to sign for because he's gonna get quite the raise. Johnsson got 3.4 after 1 season putting up 20 goals and 40 points and Hyman has had 2 40 point seasons and was on pace to put up over 50 points this season if he played all 82 games and possibly even score 30 goals too. So my guess would be he'd be asking for around 4.5-5.5 mil a year. Just my guess though, maybe he won't try and take us to the cleaners and try to get every last penny he can.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
100% he would be willing to sign one. The issue becomes what will he want to sign for because he's gonna get quite the raise. Johnsson got 3.4 after 1 season putting up 20 goals and 40 points and Hyman has had 2 40 point seasons and was on pace to put up over 50 points this season if he played all 82 games and possibly even score 30 goals too. So my guess would be he'd be asking for around 4.5-5.5 mil a year. Just my guess though, maybe he won't try and take us to the cleaners and try to get every last penny he can.

If he wants every penny he can get, then he is going elsewhere.

He is good, but not irreplaceable. We can get guys who would love to come here to play with our big 4 for cheap and then be able to cash in later

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't know if he he should be extended, he's already 28, he will be 29 when his contract expires and that would be fine usually but he's already had one MAJOR injury and his style of play will lead to his body breaking down

It might be best to replace him

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You guys are kidding yourselves if you think we can replace Hyman. The only reason not to re-sign him is to avoid protecting him in the expansion draft, but we don't have 7 forwards worth protecting anyhow.

The reason not sign him is he's already had one MAJOR injury his style of play will lead to his body breaking down.

Hyman is great but he like all other depth pieces can be replaced that's what a depth piece a depth piece, it's replaceable even one as good as Hyman

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The reason not sign him is he's already had one MAJOR injury his style of play will lead to his body breaking down.

Hyman is great but he like all other depth pieces can be replaced that's what a depth piece a depth piece, it's replaceable even one as good as Hyman

Hyman came back and played the best hockey of his career after the MAJOR injury. He is also our 1st line LW and makes every line he's on better. In no way, shape, or form is he a depth piece. He's an integral part of our team.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Hyman came back and played the best hockey of his career after the MAJOR injury. He is also our 1st line LW and makes every line he's on better. In no way, shape, or form is he a depth piece. He's an integral part of our team.

Players of his style don't tend to age well into their 30's so the Leafs need to be careful. I'd still re-sign him but so something of a 4 years, $4-$4.5 mill per season type of deal.

But I'd wait until after the expansion draft so the Leafs don't have to worry about a protection spot.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Players of his style don't tend to age well into their 30's so the Leafs need to be careful. I'd still re-sign him but so something of a 4 years, $4-$4.5 mill per season type of deal.

But I'd wait until after the expansion draft so the Leafs don't have to worry about a protection spot.

That's it - he'll be 29 looking for a long-term deal. I wouldn't go over 3.5

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Hyman is far too valuable to not sign. I don’t see the minor league and junior players like some of you, but I don’t believe there are any Hymans in the system.
That doesn’t mean he gets an over payment just needs to be retained.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
The only thing keeping this extension from being an albatross of a contract is that Zach plays the long game. He'll protect his own future. I predict Zach will be high in this team's management structure within a decade.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

That's generally true, though he also only has 4 NHL seasons under his belt so far. Lucic didn't really start declining until his 11th NHL season, Backes was the same thing, around his 11th season.

I definitely wouldn't do 6-8 years, but I'd probably do a 5 year deal if the caphit was reasonable enough. He'd be 33 in his 5th year, which for his style of play I'd expect him to have declined by then, but hopefully not as much as some of the other guys who had an extra few hundred NHL games under their belts by the same age.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Whichever parties have been negotiating contracts for the last couple of years should never see another contract negotiation. Hire some new guys that aren't morons.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
We have to be really careful with this one. I love Hyman but we cannot get into an Abdelkader/Helm situation. Anything over $5M and you might as well trade him/ let him go and go after a guy like Crouse or another younger player.

He's played at just a 40 point pace for his career while playing with some pretty elite players the majority of the time.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
That's generally true, though he also only has 4 NHL seasons under his belt so far. Lucic didn't really start declining until his 11th NHL season, Backes was the same thing, around his 11th season.

I definitely wouldn't do 6-8 years, but I'd probably do a 5 year deal if the caphit was reasonable enough. He'd be 33 in his 5th year, which for his style of play I'd expect him to have declined by then, but hopefully not as much as some of the other guys who had an extra few hundred NHL games under their belts by the same age.

Good point.. And if an extra year helps keep the cost down (in terms of AAV against the cap) there might be some extra incentive.

Risk/reward

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The easy answer would be 'yes'. I believe only Marner averages more ice time for wingers here. Dubas would have brought him to the team. Hyman wanted to sign with Toronto. The winger commitments figure to thin out a bit going into next season. There would have to be some projection of Mikheyev and Robertson going forward. It'll ultimately be about the AAV and term. Hopefully the two sides can hammer out something that works.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You also have Rielly coming up soon. If you want everyone re-signed the 1 of then big 4 has to go. It's that simple. Or it's definitely see ya to 1 of Rielly or Hyman. Why would Hyman help us out if the other guys didn't? It's a problem going forward. I'd LOVE to see how Dubas is planning on keeping all the big 4 and bring back Rielly and Hyman.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
To be successful the Leafs need Hyman and more players of his ilk and style of play.

However with a flat cap locked at $81.5 mil for the next 3 years the current plan on the table Leafs will have little cap space to work with and lots of uncertainty.

I think Dubas is going to work on this next season ahead first, then count the cap pennies he has left after that dust settles, before worrying about the following year where Andersen becomes a UFA and Reilly enters his last year that also will need addressing.

If Dubas were to deal away a big cap heavy piece like Marner for help on defense, then there would be more cap room to retain a player like Hyman going forward, who is currently on a cap friendly deal of $2.25 mil and delivering +20 goals and a world of intangibles that Leafs overall roster has so little of what he brings to the table.

More than likely however, if Leafs don't find success this season, we will likely have new management in place, and then Hyman will then fall to them to decide his fate and his next contract.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Late bloomer though, not as much mileage at his age than others playing the same style.
I’d say with the Dubas discount he gets 5 x 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad